It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima is falling apart: are you ready?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Should we start buying radiation pills?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madforit96

Think Patagonia.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by muzzleflash

Nope. They will keep covering it up to save face.

Until their faces all melt off.

Just to be more accurate, their fragile @$$€$

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Sorry after thought, I really don't have any information on how radiation might alter fluoride molecules. I don't think that would be a concern though in the realm of this "accident." I actually forgot I posted in here. On a somewhat related note because of the mechanism, Chlorine-40 is produced from saltwater when neutrons are absorbed by salt, maybe just the chlorine atom I'm no chemist/physicist just like to read, and are an indicator of re-criticality in the reactors once saltwater is added as a last ditch effort. Tritium is produced in the reactor when hydrogen atoms in water absorb two neutrons. That is why it is found in the cooling water and why leaks are bad. They just dumped millions of gallons in the river near me last month and for some reason didn't disclose it until a month later. Hmm, thanks guys! (Not sure if deuterium, hydrogen with one proton and one neutron and not radioactive, can absorb a neutron to turn into radioactive tritium or not.) Sorry I couldn't help ya, and for the long irrelevant post! lol I had to make the reply worth something, right?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by madforit96

Concerning your question about buying "radiation pills", I'd like to address it in this manner. I'd like to first explain exactly what you mean by the term "radiation pills." (You might know this so bare with me for others.) You are talking about potassium iodide pills. Their function is to protect your thyroid gland by saturating it with a non-radioactive form of iodine that your body can use. In this manner, it HELPS prevent radioactive Iodine from being taken up by your thyroid and helping to prevent thyroid cancer, usually the most common disease to first crop up after a substantial nuclear release from a bomb or especially a plant. The reason for this is because radioactive Iodine is transported by air very easily and travels far quickly because of this. Some isotopes rely on physical processes and transportation through the food chain or water table. Iodine can be transported through those means as well, but there is a distinction. That distinction is because I-131, the longest lived isotope of Iodine, has only about an 8 day half-life. (Still long enough to be detected on the east coast of USA after Fukushima first started.)

Because of the short-half life of I-131, and the days to hours of other Iodine isotopes, it isn't important to flood your thyroid gland with potassium iodide from the pills. I-131 is the least of your worries at this point. Those pills are for the immediate to two week period after the initial release. Now, it still is being released but in much, much lower quantities. It's the same as radioactive xenon that is released. (That was the problem with TMI and how people in the local area were enveloped in the gas. Same as Japan as well. Causes lung cancer and nothing you can do except stay away from it.) Remember, it is dangerous to take those pills without a life-threatening situation as a reason. Unless you live in Japan, I would not advise taking those pills. I am talking about at the beginning of the accident when I-131 levels are the highest. Since it is not something you can indefinitely take, it really isn't an option after the initial meltdown. It will cause health complications from long-term use. I am not saying I-131 is not present, because it is, but unless you live in Japan I would not worry about it. I really recommend no one taking potassium iodide pills because it would cause more harm than good at this point and is not a viable solution for those in Japan.

There are many other radionuclides to be concerned about, and the main exposure route for us in America and anywhere besides Japan really is exposure through the food supply. Bio-accumulation causes the concentration of certain isotopes to become greater the farther up the food chain you go. Humans would be the most at risk because of that. It is why I take caution from eating seafood because fish, like tuna, are near or at the top of the food chain in many areas and have higher, usually, concentrations of these toxins and heavy metals. So really, potassium iodide pills are not needed nor recommended, but carefully choosing where your food comes from is. These isotopes build up over time and this is something that seems to be overlooked. That is how "low" concentrations of cesium in the soil in America, and subsequently concentrated in animals, vegetables, and fruits, cause disease rates to increase here and how we are affected by Fukushima. I am not talking overnight problems here. (Japan is a different story and they will have immediate consequences and they already are. Diabetes and cancers and heart attacks seem to be at much, much higher incidences than before especially children. Kids are hit the hardest.) Hope I gave you some useful info and pointed you in the right direction!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

it isn't important to flood your thyroid gland with potassium iodide from the pills.

or/

Their function is to protect your thyroid gland by saturating it with a non-radioactive form of iodine that your body can use
which is it??

ohh u mean during the first 8 hrs of exposure,,

sooo??? why were they not handed out,,

and i quote
"(Still long enough to be detected on the east coast of USA after Fukushima first started.) "

and they were not needed then?
why?

just curious.

Me.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madforit96

Good luck finding any iodine pills.

Like Geiger counter manufacturers, they were not ready for such a rush of orders.
edit on 19-5-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The one post saying people were going to flee to the southern hemisphere, forget about it.

Not long after Fukushima went critical the scientists were shocked to see the fallout already went into the Southern Hemisphere. The fallout is GLOBAL.

But I think America's taking the brunt of the fallout. Maybe God was mad about us fire-bombing all those Japanese cities? It killed more people in a brutal way than our 2 nukes did to them.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

If that is the case, then god is a deuchebag. Then again, killing kids for the sins of the father is not new to god is it? He had no problem killing the firstborn of the egyptians that didn't sacrifice an animal in his name, where passover comes from.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
The one post saying people were going to flee to the southern hemisphere, forget about it.

Not long after Fukushima went critical the scientists were shocked to see the fallout already went into the Southern Hemisphere. The fallout is GLOBAL.

Link?

Thanks.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillThePoor

Concerning your question about buying "radiation pills", I'd like to address it in this manner. I'd like to first explain exactly what you mean by the term "radiation pills." (You might know this so bare with me for others.) You are talking about potassium iodide pills. Their function is to protect your thyroid gland by saturating it with a non-radioactive form of iodine that your body can use. In this manner, it HELPS prevent radioactive Iodine from being taken up by your thyroid and helping to prevent thyroid cancer, usually the most common disease to first crop up after a substantial nuclear release from a bomb or especially a plant. The reason for this is because radioactive Iodine is transported by air very easily and travels far quickly because of this. Some isotopes rely on physical processes and transportation through the food chain or water table. Iodine can be transported through those means as well, but there is a distinction. That distinction is because I-131, the longest lived isotope of Iodine, has only about an 8 day half-life. (Still long enough to be detected on the east coast of USA after Fukushima first started.)

Because of the short-half life of I-131, and the days to hours of other Iodine isotopes, it isn't important to flood your thyroid gland with potassium iodide from the pills. I-131 is the least of your worries at this point. Those pills are for the immediate to two week period after the initial release. Now, it still is being released but in much, much lower quantities. It's the same as radioactive xenon that is released. (That was the problem with TMI and how people in the local area were enveloped in the gas. Same as Japan as well. Causes lung cancer and nothing you can do except stay away from it.) Remember, it is dangerous to take those pills without a life-threatening situation as a reason. Unless you live in Japan, I would not advise taking those pills. I am talking about at the beginning of the accident when I-131 levels are the highest. Since it is not something you can indefinitely take, it really isn't an option after the initial meltdown. It will cause health complications from long-term use. I am not saying I-131 is not present, because it is, but unless you live in Japan I would not worry about it. I really recommend no one taking potassium iodide pills because it would cause more harm than good at this point and is not a viable solution for those in Japan.
There are many other radionuclides to be concerned about, and the main exposure route for us in America and anywhere besides Japan really is exposure through the food supply. Bio-accumulation causes the concentration of certain isotopes to become greater the farther up the food chain you go. Humans would be the most at risk because of that. It is why I take caution from eating seafood because fish, like tuna, are near or at the top of the food chain in many areas and have higher, usually, concentrations of these toxins and heavy metals. So really, potassium iodide pills are not needed nor recommended, but carefully choosing where your food comes from is. These isotopes build up over time and this is something that seems to be overlooked. That is how "low" concentrations of cesium in the soil in America, and subsequently concentrated in animals, vegetables, and fruits, cause disease rates to increase here and how we are affected by Fukushima. I am not talking overnight problems here. (Japan is a different story and they will have immediate consequences and they already are. Diabetes and cancers and heart attacks seem to be at much, much higher incidences than before especially children. Kids are hit the hardest.) Hope I gave you some useful info and pointed you in the right direction!

Please provide some scientific evidence for your claims.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

Originally posted by KillThePoor

Please provide some scientific evidence for your claims.

I have previously researched this and everything checks out. Nice concise post by the way. Sure it could be sourced but all one has to do is use the Googles and look up potassium iodide.

edit on 5/20/2012 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm kinda baffled why nothing was done... for 13 months... while scientists knowing how much danger sits ready to crumble by the next earthquake in that region, do nothing. just why would you not take any action? Now we all have to deal with this problem.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Anunnaki2

Two words...
Intentional depopulation.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

You are right on.

Now make it three words, Depopulation and mutation.

Add three more: Maybe no accident.
edit on 22-5-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I would say that this vid sums up the destruction.And as you can see the reactor is on the wrong side of the room.And notice the bolts are all undone,(6:30 mark) hanging.So how does an offline reactor blow up?? Look at the destruction! Its a total right off.Just like humanity. Nothing but mutated earthlings inhabit this planet now! All to boil water. .
Nuclear power needs to be abolished ASA!@#$|%P. Now ,not tomorrow,next week,NOW! Every living thing is dying!! Every living thing is mutating.Every living thing will never live as nature intended again.Never!! SHIMACANCER for all!! NO one escapes. We are all one big happy family now! WE all share SHIMA. Its not something I wanted to pass down to my descendents and theirs,which there won`t be now. ONE more Nuclear !"!"/$%%?& up is all we need. Even if we could get out of this mess, 4 reactors and 11,000 fuel rods. Chernobyl was the canary in the coal mine. But we learned nothing! Whens the next one going to !"/$%up,where,when, not if! IRAN!!! RUSSIA!! Its going to happen again,and again. This is INSANITY. What if the US decides too take out a nuke facility in IRAN! Where does that fallout go!!!!!!! Its not our bank account we are pissing away,its humanity or whats left of it! Plutonium. 26,000 years being farmed around to every living thing on the planet..No one gets away! No one!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Fukishima is getting hit with EQ's this morning: RSOE - At this point 'only' a 5.2 (and below) but for some reason that isn't so reassuring.

Stay safe all!

peace

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
"I call it the sickness of Japan. First we hide, then we postpone, then we assume no responsibility."

What can be done? So many people seem totally oblivious to what has to be one of the most important and significant ongoing events in the world today. Either people aren't paying attention, or they seem hypnotized by the propaganda coming out of the nuclear industry. Nothing to fear. It is under control. Responsible, concerned, and ethical people are in control of regulation, oversight, and implementation of the most dangerous endeavor undertaken by mankind, the utilization nuclear power to boil water and thereby create electricity. Nuclear power is the cheapest, cleanest, most safe method of providing the world's energy needs. There is danger but it has been overcome by the socially and environmentally responsible, intelligent, and highly ethical people in government and industry.

Oh, thank goodness.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
23 pages?

I might have known...

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join