It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adminstrator rights on Win 7: How do I gain access again? Please. TY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Okay, I remember there is a way to gain administrator settings but I made it the point where I totally forgot, because I've been really really bogged down with studying and school. I need to gain access to wipe this dang Trojan agent off my computer. Any clues how?

I'm having a brain fart and I can't remember. It won't let me remove it unless I have admin rights. And I have tried everything.

Spybot found it. Probably when I went to that stupid website that the virus on the link. Bah. Now spybot says nothing is there. But I want to run it again under admin setting to make sure it gets off.

Thanks
edit on 23-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Right click spybot, choose run as administrator.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

LOL , Duh

It really can't be that easy.

Thanks

See if this works.
edit on 23-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You can also select properties from the right click menu, then the compatibility tab. At the bottom you can check the Run As Administrator box to always run the program as admin instead of always having to select it when opening the program.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reboot your PC and before windows starts hit F8 on the keyboard and go into safemode. After safemode is active it will ask your to set an administrator password as you forgot it, so it can activate the admin account.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TWISTEDWORDS

That's right it's F8

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
TinkerHaus and web pirate are both right. as long as you are the administrator or know the password for the administrator account

Are you using the default administrator account when you log onto windows? You can tell by going into

Control panel > User Accounts

Does it say Administrator next to your user name?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Lol...yeah. you do have to be the admin in order to use admin rights...lol. For a personal computer it is usually safest to just change the default admin account to your own account, rather than leaving that account open and not used. And often not passworded.

You never want to leave a know open back door!
Or some internet pirate might find their way in!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I made a password for my admin, but I always forget it. I and I also made a user account for me so I can't break into it.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Ah, I didn't realize you were using something other than your admin account.

If you're using a password you won't remember, write it down somewhere safe and accessible until you've used it enough to remember it. I have to remember a crap ton of passwords and had to develop habits to always have them. There are password apps and stuff for your Android or iPhone..

You should probably just create an admin account and use it all the time, create a guest account if you worry about people on your admin account.

Here are detailed and easy to follow instructions to enter repair mode and set up an admin account - from which you will be able to make changes to your other accounts.

You will need to know How to make a Windows 7 Repair Disk and have a blank cd/dvd and the ability to write to it.

Just use your admin account if you own the computer!

When you set up an admin account use it to give admin rights to your regular user account, then delete the accounts you don't want/need.
edit on 23-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

My sister plays on it that's why I have the user accounts. Never trust a family member to safeguard your stuff.

top topics

join