It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Steps Up 'Internet Doomsday' Awareness Malware Campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

FBI Steps Up 'Internet Doomsday' Awareness Malware Campaign

www.pcworld.com

PC users infected with a strain of malware called DNS Changer will face their own personal Internet doomsday in July unless they disinfect their computers, the FBI warns.

Users have until July 9 to rid themselves of the DNS Changer malware, which can infect Windows PCs and Macs alike. After that, the FBI will throw a switch that prevents infected computers from accessing the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I personally never heard of this trojan but then again I keep my computer clean of viruses on a daily basis.

If this is true (conspiracy coming up), then those who believe are infected make sure you clean them up before July 9th.

(conspiracy) Perhaps this will be the new SOPA/PIPA in disguise? They will shut down servers or deny access to anyone who is infected with such trojan!

I'm just trying to comprehend the "kill switch" they are talking about!

Over to you ATS!

www.pcworld.com

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
its already discussed on www.abovetopsecret.com... and possibly many more threads

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
its already discussed on www.abovetopsecret.com... and possibly many more threads

Hard at work trying to get into that forum moderator title, huh? Cool beans.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnlightenedOne

I personally never heard of this trojan but then again I keep my computer clean of viruses on a daily basis.

If this is true (conspiracy coming up), then those who believe are infected make sure you clean them up before July 9th.

(conspiracy) Perhaps this will be the new SOPA/PIPA in disguise? They will shut down servers or deny access to anyone who is infected with such trojan!

I'm just trying to comprehend the "kill switch" they are talking about!

Over to you ATS!

www.pcworld.com

Ive heard of it and actually one or two or more variants of it lol. Thats what I get for downloading from an unreliable torrent site but they were easily gotten rid of with avast.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Awesome thanks! First I have heard of this and ran the check up and my computer is looking up dns addresses correctly, now to check the machines at home, Thanks!! Appreciate these kind of threads whether all ready posted or not.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

vote Maxatoria, the name you know you can trust since i'm corrupt/for sale and have so little morals left that its making even American politicians think i'm bad

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Is it programmed to affect Linux/Mac users or Windows only?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Is it programmed to affect Linux/Mac users or Windows only?

Users have until July 9 to rid themselves of the DNS Changer malware, which can infect Windows PCs and Macs alike. After that, the FBI will throw a switch that prevents infected computers from accessing the Internet.

Did you read the OP at all? lol
But to be fair, Linux is kind of like Ron Paul, its always ignored by the Media, so it could be...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
want to see if your PC is sick and you run XP or other Microsoft then here is a link for you,www.microsoft.com... my other comp has a Trojan that i can not get out, might have to "F"disk it to get it out, any thoughts

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
want to see if your PC is sick and you run XP or other Microsoft then here is a link for you,www.microsoft.com... my other comp has a Trojan that i can not get out, might have to "F"disk it to get it out, any thoughts

Try this place here, very good site for pc issues.

Bleepingcomputers

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Yeah same... Actually my Avast blocked them before they were even able to infiltrate my inner sanctum..

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

S&F Thanks for the heads up. The other thread doesn't have computer virus or malware in its title.

I read the article and checked my computer. It seems to be clear, but I will have to double check later.

I picked up a nasty Russian virus more than 3 years ago that crashed my entire system.

Pain in the a** -- I had to take it in for professional cleaning.

Now I keep my McAfee current and use PCmatic. But I don't fully trust either.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

I am pretty good at doing searches here on ATS and google, trust me on this!
The fact is that titles for the same topic isn't always the same. Even the sources aren't always the same. So to try to find a topic already documented here on ATS is sometimes an ordeal when you have one of your own.

Now, it's my understanding that we should title our threads with the same heading as the source, in which case the one you kindly enough pointed out to me didn't. (I am not trying to blade anyone here)

So before you start being a MOD WANNA BE I suggest you get your facts straight!

Edit: No where in that thread you mentioned talks about the Trojan or Malware!
edit on 23-4-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: Just wanted to make it clear!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For real?

On my dollar? What purpose does this achieve?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I never heard of this trojan either.

Could it be a threat from the Chinese? They are not our friends no matter how hard they try to prove it. Has anyone seen videos of their military?

Could it be an excues for a "kill switch"? We never know anymore about what "they are" up to.

I would like to think that majority of our government agents really do mean to protect us. Wouldn't you?

Naah, guess not, just thinking of a particular cable station who like to play "Live Free and Die Hard," an awful lot. I know I've seen it an awful lot too, specially when the other networks don't have too much of anything else on.

Well, maybe they just like Bruce Willis. " Live Free and Die Hard", probably just an idea thought up by someone in the movie industy. Couldn't really happen could it?

Just my 2 cents worth. One guess is as good as another.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Could it be a threat from the Chinese? They are not our friends no matter how hard they try to prove it. Has anyone seen videos of their military?

Could it be an excues for a "kill switch"? We never know anymore about what "they are" up to.

I would like to think that majority of our government agents really do mean to protect us. Wouldn't you?

Naah, guess not, just thinking of a particular cable station who like to play "Live Free and Die Hard," an awful lot. I know I've seen it an awful lot too, specially when the other networks don't have too much of anything else on.

Well, maybe they just like Bruce Willis. " Live Free and Die Hard", probably just an idea thought up by someone in the movie industy. Couldn't really happen could it?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is that no computer is safe, they are saying PC's and Mac's alike. However, someone asked if it's for Linux as well. Mac has similarities of a Unix/Linux system which my only guess would be that it's across the board when it comes to this trojan.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I am pretty good at doing searches here on ATS and google, trust me on this! The fact is that titles for the same topic isn't always the same. Even the sources aren't always the same. So to try to find a topic already documented here on ATS is sometimes an ordeal when you have one of your own. Now, it's my understanding that we should title our threads with the same heading as the source, in which case the one you kindly enough pointed out to me didn't. (I am not trying to blade anyone here)

It's true, in the "Breaking Alternate News" forum, you must entitle your thread the same as the news article, the only forum that I know of that has that requirement. I've had threads moved to "Current Events", because they didn't meet the requirements. I learn.

At least you researched, OP, and I think this thread is solid because it highlights the "increased" effort the FBI is undertaking. The other threads were "Breaking News", defining the problem, I read them all and can see a good distinction between this one and those. However, I chuckle at the term, "Internet Doomsday".

The internet was established to survive a worldwide global nuclear holocaust. It's gotten even bigger since then.

The DNSchanger ONLY applies to individual computers, and has NOTHING to do with the way the rest of the internet functions.

I read a while back that there are 20 computers for every human. That's how prolific computer production has become, and that stat was before smartphones (which are mini-computers). Multiply 6.7 billion by 20, and you'll see how many computers there are, most connected to the internet. A very robust system.

Each computer has it's own OS. It also has an interface called an ethernet device, a piece of hardware that transmits a signal either over a wire or a wireless signal. Each OS gives a number to it's interface, called an IP address. The RFC's (request for comments) are the standard by which the internet is governed.

In computer network engineering, a Request for Comments (RFC) is a memorandum published by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems. Through the Internet Society, engineers and computer scientists may publish discourse in the form of an RFC, either for peer review or simply to convey new concepts, information, or (occasionally) engineering humor. The IETF adopts some of the proposals published as RFCs as Internet standards. Request For Comments (RFC's) documents were invented by Steve Crocker in 1969 to help record unofficial notes on the development of the ARPANET. They have since become the official record for Internet specifications, protocols, procedures, and events.[1]
RFCs

The Actual RFCs.

RFC 1000 Is one of my favorites. I've read them all in the past, to clarify, when they were only 3500 comments thick. If there is a new protocol to be added to the internet, it's in the RFCs.

There's no "kill switch" folks. Plain and simple.

The "awareness" campaign is only here to exhibit that the FBI, or DHS, or NSA, can install a few nameservers and re-direct all your internet traffic. (They even bragged in the article that 2 nameservers replaced the "whole truckload" of the bad guys servers.) Remember the Megaload takedown? Yeah, that's right. It's another classic case of nameserver switching, and the magical impression it leaves on you.

There's no magic. A nameserver has an IP address, just like your desktop, laptop, ipad or smartphone. A nameserver's ONLY job is to route traffic around the internet. If you have a spare computer around the house, you can easily set it up to be a nameserver, it's only job, and add it to the pool of computers on the internet that are nameservers. Heck, you can set up your laptop to be a nameserver, but it's gonna get a lot of traffic across your broadband connection, and it'll lag like crazy. It's why they make individual computers into dedicated nameservers.

I'd rant on, but I see I'm running out of room.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join