It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Marathon: Donations rise after Claire Squires death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
A young lady died on the London marathon on Sunday, and sinse her death, donations have been flooding in, so far they're up to 100 grand.

Donations to a fund-raising page set up by a 30-year-old woman who collapsed close to the London Marathon finish line have surged since her death. Claire Squires, a hairdresser from North Kilworth, Leicestershire, collapsed near Birdcage Walk on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course. Thousands of people made donations on Monday, raising more than £100,000 for the Samaritans charity by 19:00 BST. Ms Squires was the 11th participant to die since the event began in 1981.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Obviously it's very said that this poor young lady has lost her life, but it does show that the good side of humanity is still there, just below the surface of all of the doom and gloom we're fed. I wonder how much it'll get up to.

It's at 126k at the moment, plus nearly 28k in gift aid.

edit on 23/4/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It was so very sad indeed to hear that she passed away, And sadly i was there when the poor girl collapsed pretty much in front of me and my 10 year old niece,

As she was coming up birdcage walk she looked very tired and like she was going to fall which caught my attention right away then the next moment she had fallen, The paramedics where there to her aid in seconds.

I was really hoping that she would be ok but sadly read the news this morning of her death,

My thoughts are with all of her family and all that knew her,

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Poor woman - At least ultimately she lived trying to do what is right - raising money for charity and giving it her full 100% attempt, and now in death her passing has led to a vast amount of donations going to a very good cause.

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Very sorry tp hear that you saw this asala, I hope your neice haasn't been too down about what she's seen, and you too. Seeing things like that can make you think about your own mortality.

I see the donations are up to 400k nearly! Wonder how long till it gets to 1 million. Also, the place hosting Claires page, has decided to waiver their fee. (they are a for profit organisation, who take either 5% of the donations, or 25% of the giftaid ammount) So fair play to that.

I would post the link to her page, but I'm not sure if that'll constitute trying to rally for donations, which would not be my intention.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I have never understood why people feel the need to work themselves this hard to raise money, cant people just donate the same amount without people having to do this.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well her donations are steadily rising.... over half a million now

Here's a link to her donation page, if you have paypal, it's very easy

www.justgiving.com...
edit on 24/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

My niece is ok x we have not told her that the lady passed away she was upset enough seeing her fall to the ground and my niece was running the mini childs marathon and came in with a top score so it was such a special day for her and one that we where all so proud off, So we don't really want to tell her at the moment,

We will talk with her as im sure other will point it out when she in at school soon enough.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by scottbob

I thought this way until i watched it and observed my own little niece take part, But its such an achievement to make it as far as all the runners did, 27 miles! Its shocking how they can even make it that far,
I really see the appeal now and have even thought of doing it one year myself! Its showing dedication and strength to something you believe in, I guess i kind of think about it that you can never imagine the pain or hurt someone with illness is going through so taking yourself to that limit shows others that you are really pushing yourself to limits that others choose not to to help your said cause, I have admiration for all those that do this,

Sadly trying to just donate does not get people putting there money where there mouth is these days.

Heres a few pics of my niece taking part

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottbob

I have never understood why people feel the need to work themselves this hard to raise money, cant people just donate the same amount without people having to do this.

I think usually with these kinds of things, it's symbolic.
You have to struggle and go through something, much like the people you are raising money for.
I guess it's just a tradition.

Unfortunately people need something, a reason, a push, reminding.. whatever, to dig deep in their pockets.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Well I'm very glad she did you proud (and herself!) Sounds like yuo're handling it very well with reguards to what she's seen, I certainly think that you're handling it in the right way. I hope it doesn't mess her up, and she just takes it in her stride.

Donations for Claires samaritans fund is now over half a million.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It's now nearly £700,000

Amazing actually... this outpouring for this amazing woman

This is the kinda thing that restores your faith in humanity.

edit on 25/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Definitely, such a tragic loss has created an amazing response. I hope it brings some comfort to her family.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I saw an interview with a friend and she said she was overwhelmed by the generosity and said that Claire would be so amazed and pleased that she had been able to raise so much money and potentially save so many lives.

Samaritans have officially said

We are supporting the family through this very difficult time. Our thoughts are with everyone who knew her.

“We desperately wish that it was not under these circumstances but we have been overwhelmed by the response from people donating in Claire’s memory.

“These donations will be put into a tribute fund and, following discussions with the family, will go towards projects they feel would have been important to Claire.

www.samaritans.org...

I think the last bit is lovely... using the money for things that were important to her.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Donations have hit over 3/4 Million now.

There are humans still left in the world
Long may it last!

new topics

top topics

join