It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arguing "for" or "against" things bores me to tears.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I put sunscreen to protect from His UVs.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

My eyes were closed but now I see but sunglasses help

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

That is what I like about you. Always humbly pretending you're God...

I am god. So are you. God is energy. Nothing special about god.

Source just seems special because we're a bunch of stupid insects right now. Don't worry, young grasshopper, you'll get there someday.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

How is this relevant to what the opening of this discussion is about?

You're carrying on like a child.
I've noticed you on many different threads doing the same thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am simply at a loss.

First, OP, good on you. Breaking the world down into right and wrong, black and white, yes or no.... it's idiotic as nothing is ever that simple on the surface. So don't argue the point, but the why. Use ATS to do it. Lots of us will contribute in the discussion of the angles.

As I always say, if you want ATS to be a certain way, then lead the way. Make it the way you want it.

And Starchild and Swan, the purpose of your presence in this thread is a mystery. This man laid out an interesting post that identifies him and his thoughts. (Or her, didn't look at your profile, apologies...) and you come in simply spouting nonsensical idiocy. You've contributed nothing, haven't attempted to understand a thing, and have angered me by being either playfully narcissistic or downright retarded. Either way: *wrist slap* Straighten it up.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I'd rather have a long, meandering discussion long the lines of "What exactly is the nature of Communism/Fascism/Democracy/________-ism/pick yer poison, and what are the implications of that?"

This is irresponsible. It's like watching a plastic bag floating in the wind. It looks cool at first, but it's irresponsible to walk away from it. Eventually, somebody needs to get the bag and either throw it in the garbage or use it for something. Throwing it in the garbage is a waste. Using the bag for a purpose makes much more sense. Ideas should have a purpose, a reason for being - otherwise they are a waste.

Think of it this way: the lowly conceptual peon sets out with a "purpose" in mind - to slay his pre-determined ideological enemy or shore up his polemical fortress, as the case may be. But we aristocrats of the soul are above such petty and boring concerns. High above the unsightly fray, we lounge on the clouds of the mind and play delightedly with ideas for the sheer hell of it, as if they were shiny conceptual baubles to be examined and appreciated in their own right. And when we grow tired of them, we send ideas on their merry way so we can go on to the next mental diadem. To be overly concerned with the practical use of these cognitive trinkets is the province of the grubby peasant of the mind.

So you want to walk away from the plastic bag, and let someone else worry about how to use it. How does that make you smarter than anyone else? The smart person knows how to take an idea and use it for something beneficial.

Merelogical nihilism perhaps plays a role in this worldview, in addition to a kind of natural elitism. As does a natural proclivity for mysticism over fundamentalism. And if you don't understand, really I can't be bothered to explain.

Arrogant much?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mentalistbee

How is this relevant to what the opening of this discussion is about?

You're carrying on like a child.
I've noticed you on many different threads doing the same thing.

This is a conversation between me and swan. Don't worry about it...trust me, s/he knows what I'm saying.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I'm a he. I guess you're a she? Just kidding

Actually I gave her/him a star. Mentalistbee had a point, you know.
edit on 23-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I did say I wouldn't respond futher, and I won't after this, because to say anything at all on this topic beyond the original post is sort of to defeat its purpose, but I couldn't resist this one.

Originally posted by kaylaluv
So you want to walk away from the plastic bag, and let someone else worry about how to use it. How does that make you smarter than anyone else?

Does not make me smarter at all. Intelligence has nothing to do with it either way; not once did I mention intelligence in the OP. It does, however, make me more detached than most.

And...This thread addresses what I prefer in terms of discussion, not what is objectively better. For myself or anyone else. That's why I put it in the rant section, rather than, say, the philosophy and metaphysics section. It's not intended to persuade, it's just a short expression of something I feel. Some will get it, some won't. So be it, I'm not really out to change anyone's mind. Which is sort of the whole point to begin with.

Arrogant much?

Yes. Very much indeed.
That's why I used the expression "natural elitism," with all its positive and negative connotations.

And now I will let the matter drop at last.. should have done so after the first post, really. It contains all that needs to be said on the topic, as seamless as an egg. Peace.

Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after results and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity.

-Tao te Ching

edit on 4/23/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Waves good bye to silent thunder

edit on 23-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This thread fits very much with what I know of you, Silent. Its not my way, not the way I live and react to the world, but I am not surprised.

This is a personality type I have seen before in others, it always draws me in somehow, because it has a strength and integrity to it, this kind of detachement. But there is a hollowness to this way of perceiving, something not quite right. Because you become a mere consumer of ideas rather than someone who engages with the world. It's a flawed way to be, I can't fully explain it. It's almost psychopathic/sociopathic, really.

And yet I understand why you are this way a bit more after reading your recent thread about yourself in the "Members" section, and some other conversations we've had. I think you have been hurt a lot by life and been battered around. This kind of detachement sets in with people who have led "full" (read: painful) lives. You are an interesting case study because you seem introspective and willing to examine yourself, and you are more articulate than most. But ultimately it is rooted in hollowness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you, you are a good person and I'm not trying to be insulting. Maybe this is what you had to do with your soul to make it through. But it strikes me as wrong, scooping out the personality like a kid scoops out a halloween pumpkin, till you are left with a hollow gourd. It's not the way I live or want to live. I want to be alive., I want to feel, and I want to engage with life. Your way...its alien to me, almost inhuman.

Does that make any sense?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

You make perfect sense in my mind
I can not add any more at present

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowmancer
I am simply at a loss.

First, OP, good on you. Breaking the world down into right and wrong, black and white, yes or no.... it's idiotic as nothing is ever that simple on the surface. So don't argue the point, but the why. Use ATS to do it. Lots of us will contribute in the discussion of the angles.

As I always say, if you want ATS to be a certain way, then lead the way. Make it the way you want it.

And Starchild and Swan, the purpose of your presence in this thread is a mystery. This man laid out an interesting post that identifies him and his thoughts. (Or her, didn't look at your profile, apologies...) and you come in simply spouting nonsensical idiocy. You've contributed nothing, haven't attempted to understand a thing, and have angered me by being either playfully narcissistic or downright retarded. Either way: *wrist slap* Straighten it up.

Hm. You are right. Thanks for reminding us (well, me).

So, what's your opinion on the OP's thread?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Hm. You are right. Thanks for reminding us (well, me).

You're quite welcome, I hope you don't forget. My post addressed both you and the OP in the same go. It wasn't a one or two line blurb that could have been better stated in ATS Chat or a U2u instead of several posts designed to contribute nothing to the thread, post, or anyone else. But thanks for playing.

So, what's your opinion on the OP's thread?

It was there, in the second paragraph. I was expressing my agreement with why he wrote the post. You see, my careful analysis of the original post made me believe that I might be able to connect with one of his ideas, at the very least. That would be the one where arguing an issue for the purpose of proving which point of view is correct tends to get tiresome and repetitive. But going after WHY the issue is the issue would seem to further his own understanding and a discussion about that might help both parties understand the issue itself better, rather than two people just hammering into each other with constantly played out ideas. I also stated that he should use ATS to further that goal, if he were interested. There's no rule that we all have to be "Yes Men" or "No Men". Quite the contrary, the set regulations on ATS are designed to encourage EXACTLY what he was referring to. Open debate of the issues. I was showing my support for him to do so.

Since you apparently missed or misunderstood the obvious paragraph in question, I've broken it down into a more detailed passage in the hope that you might see and understand it this time. I've also quoted the original post in case you want to go back and see it. I've also quote-tagged your quotes in case you forgot which one was yours. I also placed MY QUOTE ON BOTTOM and left the quote boxes of yours ABOVE THIS TEXT in case you didn't remember whose post was whose. Given the length of your posts in this thread, I don't want to take the chance that the length of this post would frighten or confuse you, so I've also described the intended layout of THIS response post and the reason for it.

Originally posted by Arrowmancer

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

Yea, I agree with the OP point of view.
I noticed alot of this in the religious-flavoured thread around here. I think some folks are afraid to admit they might be wrong. You see, if they do, they might lose credit to the eyes of others.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

And...This thread addresses what I prefer in terms of discussion, not what is objectively better. For myself or anyone else. That's why I put it in the rant section, rather than, say, the philosophy and metaphysics section. It's not intended to persuade, it's just a short expression of something I feel. Some will get it, some won't. So be it, I'm not really out to change anyone's mind. Which is sort of the whole point to begin with.

Fair enough. No one can/should tell you how to feel. But, if I ever see a post of yours that I don't agree with, I will speak my mind. You can just ignore it and remain in your lofty place in the clouds above us peons and dullards - won't hurt my feelings.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think I get what the OP is on about...it's like saying you prefer to wander in a park rather than go on a military march. Or tinker in your toolshed rather than work on an assembly line. I've often felt this way too.

So often on ATS or other place s on the net, everyone assumes you have a "hidden agenda." if you make a statement about a religious or political topic, people assume it is intended to shore up a position for one side or another. If I say something negative about a political figure it does not imply I am for "the other side " but people assume this. Small minds can't accept ambiguity, while big minds bask in it.

Some people bring their ideological baggage everywhere with them. When they talk politics, it's always to argue "their side." When speaking on religion, it's to prove or disprove the existence of God. But it doesn't have to be this way. Some people just like to tinker and putter with ideas. These are usually the most interesting people, and the best conversations.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Without a hint of irony, I agree with the OP. I used to frequent various online forums in which this behaviour is endemic, and I very quickly lost interest in them. I posted this in another forum:

There are things which do have "right" and "wrong" answers, and those are statements made within some theoretical model: propositional logic, differential calculus, and classical mechanics, for instance. Truth can be verified using strict rules. But in the realm of empirical data, truth can only be verified by one's senses. One can make an account of the results of his senses, but it is up to the other to verify their reliability by using her own senses.

The for-and-against mentality is often (always?) a product of laziness, the unwillingness to use one's own senses. People with this mentality tend to follow an existing account, which clearly has a chance of being unreliable. Without a second thought, they will often pick a side with which they feel most comfortable. I also believe that the process of elimination plays a part in this: since there are two sides, and I hate one of them, therefore I should pick the other side. Similarly when "two" is replaced with a larger number.

Now, a clear distinction should be made between discussion and debate. The former is productive and requires the use of one's senses. The latter is not productive, and requires no use of one's senses. I used to think that being part of a high-school debate club was the hallmark of intelligence and daring. Imagine that!

Another thing I notice is that often, everyone involved in a debate is familiar with all sides. (If one is not familiar with all sides, he has no business being in a debate.) Yet, no one involved in a debate need be familiar with the facts. This is because all sides of a debate are equally dissociated from reality, being constrained to the realm of debate. That is, even if the ideas reflected reality, they would serve no greater purpose than mere chess pieces or poker chips.

As you can probably tell, I dislike debate with a passion.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I understand your post mate.

There will always people who chooses either the black or white.

The grey bit in the middle, is sometimes where all the answers lay. Yet, many forget about it, and choose the easy option.

Choosing a standpoint, either for, or against something, is easier than trying to be objective.

vvv

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I promise that from this day forward I will only conspire in whispers with others here at ATS

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join