It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arguing "for" or "against" things bores me to tears.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
For example, I don't find it all that interesting to have a discussion along the lines of "is Communism/Fascism/Democracy/religion/athiesm/________-ism/pick yer poison good or bad, true or false?" I'd rather have a long, meandering discussion long the lines of "What exactly is the nature of Communism/Fascism/Democracy/________-ism/pick yer poison, and what are the implications of that?"

People who focus excessively on "XYZ is right and ABC is wrong" strike me as dullards. This is a kind of natural elitist standpoint, in a sense. (Coming from a dirt-poor background it sure as heck isn't elitism in any sort of conventionally understood monetary or status sense). Think of it this way: the lowly conceptual peon sets out with a "purpose" in mind - to slay his pre-determined ideological enemy or shore up his polemical fortress, as the case may be. But we aristocrats of the soul are above such petty and boring concerns. High above the unsightly fray, we lounge on the clouds of the mind and play delightedly with ideas for the sheer hell of it, as if they were shiny conceptual baubles to be examined and appreciated in their own right. And when we grow tired of them, we send ideas on their merry way so we can go on to the next mental diadem. To be overly concerned with the practical use of these cognitive trinkets is the province of the grubby peasant of the mind.

Merelogical nihilism perhaps plays a role in this worldview, in addition to a kind of natural elitism. As does a natural proclivity for mysticism over fundamentalism. And if you don't understand, really I can't be bothered to explain.

Oh, and in before: "Yes but with this rant you are arguing for your worldview and against that which you dislike." A cheap wordgame, and not particularly satisfying or meaningful. You can do all sorts of things with grammar that really don't have much underlying meaning. I'm in it for the meaning, son. The creamy center, that which is felt and understood without words, not the clacking external shells of grammar and semiotics.

Rant over.

edit on 4/23/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Just for the sake of it, I'm going to argue this thread.

I'm against it.

p.s. atheists ftw! ...just because.

Oh, and I believe in god.
edit on CMondaypm434347f47America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: do I need a reason?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yeah, man, I totally agree with you. Sadly, that would mean that some would have to consider possibilities, and that is hard for some people here.
I personnaly am atheist, but I listen to every possibilities I hear. But then, Starchild23 comes along and tries to crush everything under his beliefs.
S&F, mate. You said the most wise words for us to remember.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Starchild! I was talking about you.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think people who do that, inside KNOW some thing is wrong, or unpleasant in their beliefs, or what they follow. Rather than getting occupied and participating in said activities, they much rather spend the time, pointing at the other side and naming what they see wrong in them.

This works vice versa.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh OK then.

So long as the roots are not severed all will be well in the garden - love that movie

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

I know. I apologize for crushing people beneath the awesome weight of my indomitable logic and proofs of claim.

I weep at night, knowing I have brought light to so many.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mentalistbee

True. You pinpointed the issue, I think, very well.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Define ''light''. Light is relative...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
One more thing.

As is often the case with these rants, I notice your title talks about arguing "for" or "against" things...

Aren't you actually arguing "against" arguing? And if so, why are you arguing about it?

Your thread smells of teh hilarity.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
One more thing.

As is often the case with these rants, I notice your title talks about arguing "for" or "against" things...

Aren't you actually arguing "against" arguing? And if so, why are you arguing about it?

Your thread smells of teh hilarity.

Read the last paragraph. Or don't. As stated, I can't really be bothered to explain if you don't get it.

And nothing wrong with a little hilarity, is there?

By the way, every post thus far in this thread has gotten a star from me, no matter what, on general principles. Even yours.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I know. I apologize for crushing people beneath the awesome weight of my indomitable logic and proofs of claim.

Yes the light you bring is truly blindingly bright - I am constantly bumping into things since you held it up for all to see

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I am bumping into him, more precisely. His light attracks mosquitoes, also; do not know if you noticed...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Yes the light you bring is truly blindingly bright - I am constantly bumping into things since you held it up for all to see

You, sir, must have your eyes closed.

Silly internet user. You must open your eyes to see the light!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Sometime the light is not enough.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I am bumping into him, more precisely. His light attracks mosquitoes, also; do not know if you noticed...

I believe it would actually be moths.

You are bumping into me? Interesting. I thought it was just a drunkard...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Sometime the light is not enough.

Spoken like a true ignoramus.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Double post. Tea and crumpets, sir?
edit on CMondaypm535357f57America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

That is what I like about you. Always humbly pretending you're God...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Yes it shines out like a beacon in the night - a veritable second Sun that s why I now wear my Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts when in correspondence with Starchild
edit on 23-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join