Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Pineapple and the Hare. Simple reading comprehension question BAFFLES NY educators.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Actually, sometimes a pineapple is just a pineapple.

I think that's the moral of the story, or as hte author said, "Pineapples don't have sleeves."

Maybe it's foolish for me to still think the moose is wiser because on the one hand the moose is not seeing the forest through the trees but on the other... maybe some pineapples do have sleeves?

If a 4 foot tall man and a 6 foot tall man both say they can dunk, which do you think is mostly likely to do so legally? Well, the owl, supposedly, will point to the 6 foot man. The moose will wonder what trick the 4 foot man has and overthink it. So this makes some sense to me now, but when I was reading the story, I never got the impression that the pineapple COULDN'T run faster or have some secret. It never clicked in my mind that the pineapple had no sleeves. I mean, this pineapple CAN TALK, so who knows? Maybe the pineapple really can win, I mean, anything is possible in stories.

Actually, this story is good. Remember the tortoise and the hare? The tortoise outsmarted the hare to win. But sometimes a tortoise is just a tortoise and most likely won't win.

Now I'm starting to act like the moose. Overthinking it. My IQ is average.
edit on 24-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can't believe some here have answered that they think the animals ate him because they were "Hungry"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This should be the litmus test for ATS, if you don't get it 100% your login no longer works.

(This might be a little brash just getting home from a rough day of school myself)

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by pavil

That the owl said the hare had no sleeves is just an observation, but not a wise comment. How do I know what this pineapple can or cannot do? It turned out that the pineapple DIDN'T have a secret way to win, so it's true that it "didn't have sleeves". The owl was just lucky to say the correct thing. But I still think the moose was wiser...

I think what the testers were trying to get at was that through the moose's statement of tricks being tied to sleeves, the owl has stated that there are no tricks (indirectly) thought the statement that they have no sleeves.

(this is my take on it anyway)
edit on 24-4-2012 by GhettoRice because: added info

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Actually, a good portion of the reading comprehension for SAT correlates with IQ.

This was more true in the past than it's nowadays.

According to my SAT, my IQ is average, and I'd have to agree (i know i'm slow).

So just reminding you that questions aren't "opened ended," so much as they're tricky...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GhettoRice

Right, and we could argue endlessly about this. AFTER THE FACT, the owl said the wiser thing. But looked at from my perspective, all the owl did was make an observation. Wise????

The owl said "The pineapple has no trick and won't win."

How does the owl know? Did he just guess?

From the story given, I just couldn't agree that the owl was the wisest.

Remember, in this story, animals and pineapples are talking. So a pineapple can fly as much as I know or do some other magical trick that's not stated yet. This is magic land, not reality.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I'll take this later after I get home from work.
Seems interesting.

Besides, I like Pearson's books. They may be thick but their books are pretty much thorough in the point that they are trying to get across.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Ah, but the moose was "speculating" on what I see as no prior conditions to support said idea. The owl hearing this I believe is meant to test if one understands that the condition of sleeves=tricks and on pure observation of the world around it saw no sleeves, so no assumptions. This is why I think the owl is still the wise one here.

I can understand your reasoning as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhettoRice
reply to post by jonnywhite

Ah, but the moose was "speculating" on what I see as no prior conditions to support said idea. The owl hearing this I believe is meant to test if one understands that the condition of sleeves=tricks and on pure observation of the world around it saw no sleeves, so no assumptions. This is why I think the owl is still the wise one here.

I can understand your reasoning as well.

In your world, it all makes sense. But if you could peer into mine when I was reading that story, you'd see that to me the pineapple could fly 1500 MPH or sprout legs and cross the finish faster and I wouldn't have been surprised by this at all. If -I- were there, I would have acted just like the moose and wondered if it was a trick. I don't know that this pineapple is just a pineapple, you know? I wondered what the pineapple could do. That was my frame of mind when I was reading the story.

I tried to explain this by giving the example of the 4 foot man and 6 foot man and asking which is more likely to dunk legally? To me, the answer is obvious. But this is reality, not a fantasy world. Maybe in fantasyland the 4 foot man can stretch and dunk without jumping, for all I know.

How am I to know when a pineapple is just a pineapple in fantasyland? For the owl to just bluntly say "It's just a pineapple." is like me saying that Bugs Bunny is just a stupid rabbit.

Lastly, what "prior conditons" prove that the pineapple is just a pineapple (no sleeves)? I saw a talking pineapple that could do anything as far as I was concerned. I wanted to figure out what other tricks it had. When the owl said that the pineapple was just a pineapple, it seemed lazy.

But I'm glad I read all this. This story is actually a play on the tortoise and hare story.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by Mizzijr
I've always been one to understand that the source of the answers does not come from you when reading a short story. It's the writers story, you follow their agenda. Follow the script and answer according to whats given to you vs what you believe is realistic and logical.

It's a story where pineapples can talk.... well, that's not realistic or logical at all. Therefore your answers should reflect that.

As to why they ate the pineapple.. That's vague as hell. You can only assume, because it does not really say. Resort to process of elimination.

A Hungry (If they were were hungry, they'd eat more than one pineapple.)

B Excited (No.)

C Annoyed (Seems correct due to the fact they wasted their time. They expected a pineapple to win.)

D Amused (No.)

OR the answer would be (A) because:

A Hungry (its the only reason one would eat anything) think Occam...
B Excited (assumption)
C Annoyed (assumption)
D Amused (assumption)

It's possible it could be "A". I can't argue over that since it's a very vague question. Only reason one would even think of picking "C" is because the animals are personified, and they have a reason to be annoyed at the pineapple. I mean if the Owl was hungry, he'd eat the snake

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
The answers were contained in the 2nd link:

The correct answers -- which the state agreed to released Friday -- were that the animals ate the fruit because they were annoyed, and the owl was the wisest animal.

I had figured them out before reading the whole article.

I determined the owl was the wisest because his words were the moral of the story. The other animals overthought the pineapple's motiviations and came to the wrong conclusion.

In order to figure out why they ate the pineapple, just put yourself in the shoes of the animals who had rooted for the pineapple that didn't even expend any energy or try to win. Of course you would be annoyed at the pineapple.

I have to give credit to needlenight who said the pineapple was the smartest because it dispersed its seeds by being eaten by the other animals. You get an A+++ for critical thinking on that one.

edit on 4/23/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I remember that question when I was in junior high. My class apparently did so poorly on it that the teacher spent the next week ranting at us about how important it was, and on the last day threatened every single one of us with suspension if we didn't start taking it more seriously. When we showed up for school the next Monday, he was replaced with a young, meek little teacher who handed out tests and issued us our grades practically without comment. I didn't think we shot that many spitballs at the old teacher, but I suppose it's possible. I was certainly one of the guilty ones, since I recognized the absurdity of the questions and so gave answers that were completely unrelated to the story.

And that's about all you can expect from a public school education in Kansas City.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
I found an interview with the author of the passage
blogs.wsj.com...
He says that there are no answers.

Yes!

To the PhD who chose to put this item on the test...ask the university for your money back!

Good Lord, back in the 1970s we'ld sit around stoned and argue about the meaning of Jabberwocky. This is like that experience! It's enjoyable but stupid. No, maybe it did expand our minds a little, but what's really stupid is to put bubble-in answers on a test for the passage. PhD person, are you nutty or just stoned?

And back in the 60s in grade school, we took normed referenced tests, to judge where we stood academically in relation to everyone else in that group who took the test. If a teacher "taught to the test" back then, that would be wrong, because we could end up like Bart Simpson when he cheated on a test and was put in the school for the gifted.

Apparently, today's teachers administer criterion referenced tests, and, boy, they had better teach that criterion ("teach to the test"), and students better learn it, because if you don't bubble in the correct answer on the test, you might end up looking a little dumb, or like you've sat around stoned in class and didn't learn a damned thing.

And teachers are supposed to be evaluated on student answers to tests items like this?? That's like saying to bank workers and realtors, that they will be judged once a year based on their participation in one game of Monopoly.

Bah, such nonsense! ... at least I can recognize nonsense when I see it... had a lot of practice back then, I guess...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
LOLOLOLOLOL

i say MORE questions like this on tests.

and there should be no right answer, it should be a free-bee, and everyone gets free pineapple after, ( or some other fruit if they are allergic to pineapple.)

ALSO, NONE OF THE FRUIT COMES FROM MONSANTO.

yay

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with this test, anyone can figure out the questions with a little objective thinking, you just may have to skim over the story a few times to get the answer.

That said - this is supposed to be critical think.

The wisest animal is not the owl, period.

It never says "the wise owl" in the text, you're just assuming it did because the society you come from regards the owl as wise. Not only is the owl not the wisest animal, he is the least wise. Every other animal in the story used logic, and brought their own ideas to the table, while all the owl did was say "Pineapples don't have sleeves," in response to a metaphor - contributing nothing to the actual conversation.

I used to think "no child left behind" was a ploy to allow teachers to be lazy, but I guess they're just stupid.

There is no definitive way to determine which animal is the wisest, but it's anyone but the owl.
edit on 24-4-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-4-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Question 2 and 3 seem unfair to me, as they are subjective, and speculative. Not enough info to come up with answers without speculating on them. They coulda ate it because they were hungry or because they were pissed that he fooled them into cheering for him. What a troll that pineapple

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is what happens when Franz Kafka and Dr. Seuss have a lovechild.

Who writes like this anymore? It made the tests because it failed every publisher house in the country. Good for those who still believe in Santa Claus, 2nd grade and lower, or for a liberal arts scholar.

The moral of the story is: let's hope Pinkwater is a pen name. All the hints with the hare and the tropical fruit, pinapples not having sleeves.. I envision the writer at an outdoor cafe somewhere on a Monday afternoon, nursing a hangover, sipping a blended drink, watching the crowd, and some fresh meat enters the cafe. He ponders the game to play, and through his friends at the table discuss whether or not he should go after this hairy guy. Then they go to his flat, have a marathon homoerotic orgy, because pineapples don't have sleeves.

The End.

No, the moral is: just say no to '___' kids.

Just read the original, with the eggplant. The real story from the real author is fair; the author makes sense, the adaptation does not. The purchasing educators spun it around to put apple in (for the big apple get it?) and to turn it into a solar-diety mind bonk. Total CIA psy-opping the youth population, again. The mindcontrollers did the same stuff in Los Angeles when I was a kid. Just want to mind-bonk the student population over for lights-out zombification of the crowds. Get them while they are early. Total adulteration of the original story, which probably explains how I read into it like I did.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Do you really want to repair the American education system? It would only take a few changes:
1 Outlaw public sector unions at all levels. The unions have too much control of the base system.
2 Accept that a significant percentage of the students will not pass. If nearly everyone has something does it distinguish the select individuals wanted or needed from the whole of others? High school diplomas or a GED have so little value simply because there are so many of them awarded - and the standard is so low having it means nothing.
3 Place each school system at the county level or higher. The reason is that many states have many hundreds of school districts with far less than 100 counties. The cost is higher to operate when purchasing power is so diffuse.
4 Allow students to attend any public school they want, regardless of district, first come, first served within a state. Parents are responsible for attendance.
5 Separate testing from the schools. Specifically, testing agencies would operate with funding from the state. Absolutely no interaction with the school staff at all - ever.
6 Track students individually. Use electronic records that are common across the nation. Better statistics mean better outcomes if used well.
7 Finally, the standards for graduation from high school should be equal to what counts as an associates degree today. Still a low standard, but one that is achievable for the majority of students who apply themselves.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by needlenight
The pineapple was eaten by all the animals. Its seeds will then be spread, through the animals feces, which in turn will become parent plants for more pineapples.

The pineapple tricked all the animals, reproduced without spending any energy and in the long run... won.

The pineapple was the most clever.

Nice idea.... but Pineapples don't usually reproduce via seed. And like someone else said, what was the pineapple doing in a temperate forest? Why is it there? What's it's agenda? I smell a conspiracy afloat.

The pineapple says it wants to race the hare. Hare-racing, get it?

Pineapple can be read flatly, for neurolinguistic programming via the eyes, which is different than hearing. The Pineal, named after a pine cone, in a forest. Pineapple in a forest. It's said tropical fruit, but the subconscious sees "pine" plus "apple". And I have read about the apple being a symbol for illuminati mind control.

The hare, is like hair.
Pineapple, is pineal gland in your head. It is also a yellow fruit, and the way people see pinapples is as slices, often, in circles, like the sun.

Already the focus is on the mind. 26 miles is a marathon, but it is also the number of letters in the alphabet.

The first thing I thought of when I saw moose was muslim. It's a joke, moose limb. Bigoted, but it's there. The moose suggests a trick up the sleeve.

The owl is traditional wisdom, another gloss over for a symbol of Moloch. The ancient word for sleeve is hand; in Genesis and other creation myths, the woman was used to lend a hand to the man, her body used like a sleeve for an..arm? So, pinapple being the sun, is saying that the sun is masculine in character. And probably lonely.

The crow mentions rooting for the hare is a potential embarassment. Rooting for hair?

These animals are sections of the mind or the body. 2 birds and a moose watching a hare. That can relate to mythological animals, maybe correlate to compass directions.

Now after the mess of tearing it apart, to put it back together? Your guess is as good as mine right now because most of the questions boil down to a personality test. How did the animals feel about the sleeveless fruit? My mind is triggered to go get some candy with "tropical fruit" on the label.

In total, it is a solar myth where the animals of thought wipe out the gland of enlightenment, the pineal gland. It's designed to turn off the lights in the minds of those who are easily brainwashed.
edit on 24-4-2012 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I am a bit sleep deprived, but I guess I will give this a shot. I think it was fairly simple, but I am probably wrong. lol
My answers are:
B. In the order in which the events happen
C. Annoyed
D. The owl
A. Suspicious
D. They would have been happy to have cheered for a winner.
C. has a plan to fool the animals

I am assuming that because it was a reading comprehension test they are not looking for anything other than what the text plainly reveals, which means that that there is no reason to overthink. So I based my answers on just reading from the title to the moral, and then answered based on what the question asked. How did I do?

As for the wisest animal, the moral is how the answer is revealed. Wisdom would have to be defined as a term for another answer to be correct, because this was not the case, the only option left is to base the answer on the moral of the story, or the theme carried throughout, which from what I gathered is not to overthink or miss the forest for the trees, or some such zen sage thing.

The absurdity of the tale makes it easy to want make it more than what it is, however, as I stated before--if my lack of sleep has not made me delusional--then this is nothing more than a very basic reading comprehension test asking very specific and straight forward questions. It is what it is, a way to assess if a student is able to read at a basic level, which means that the student read the title, the body of the text, the moral, and then read each question in full. I personally do not think it was meant to be a critical thinking exercise, and if I remember how these tests work, I believe they are timed, which means that the answers should not take much time to answer, unless you are someone like me with adhd, but then you could just take medicine or get an extra thirty minutes or so of time.
Well back to doing homework.

PS: sorry if others have said what I have said. I have no time to read thread, I am curious to see what the answer key says are the correct answers. I bet I missed one, to tired to not have. lol I will read it later to see what the answers were and read the rest of the thread. To be honest this was fun.
edit on 24-4-2012 by GaboVarfang because: finish PS statement

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I enjoyed the test. I would have enjoyed school more if it all would have been like this. I found it humorous when they ate the pineapple. The answers seem simple for an adult, but challenging enough for a child. However, I guessed the hare as the wisest because he was the most realistic. But, the owl gave the moral which is the wisest part if the story. Question: "How is he going to do it? Answer:"He's not going to do it, because he can't". It's a classic tragedy. The pineapple can even be compared to the Christ.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nithaiah
I thoroughly disagree.........

The questions on this prompt are VERY simple questions. The story is VERY simple. There are no events in the story which are not explained well by the story itself, or heavily implied by action. The questions cover things that were basic learning for me when I was in fifth grade, such as story structure and inference. And yet this is for children who are older than ten years old.

We really, really need to worry about the state of the youth, because this kind of... well, stupidity, not to put too fine a point on it, should be guddamn unacceptable to us as a society.

Please answer then this question from the test and show where in the story it explains why your answer is the correct one............

The animals ate the pineapple most likely because they were
A Hungry
B Excited
C Annoyed
D Amused

-Alien

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join