It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pineapple and the Hare. Simple reading comprehension question BAFFLES NY educators.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
PPS: A thought just occured to me as I was laughing to myself about the story, and seeing as how this is a conspiracy website. If you want to take a paranoid approach, you could say that the test makers are subtley poking fun at and manipulating young minds to instinctively reject what conspiracy theorists have to say because the animals got screwed over by the Crow, who could somewhat be seen as the overly skeptical individual, who reads to much into things to the point of thinking that the pineapple is conspiring against them. Its all a plot to discredit us. lol See what I did there, I became the crow. I do not think this at all, I just thought I would share this thought as a mild joke.
Ok now back to finals studying for reals.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
I found an interview with the author of the passage
blogs.wsj.com...
He says that there are no answers.

... and I'm guessing you have a problem with reading comprehension as well! Did you even read the article? :-)

Edit: Obviously the Hare is the wisest: He has an active exercise regime, and is going to live a long healthy life while all the other dumb animals watch watermelons and pineapples try to race.

The order of events? How can you tell? It was never stated if the parallel universe the talking animals and fruits live in has linear time, speckled time, cross-section time, or any mix of the in-between!
edit on 24-4-2012 by WhatAreThey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

Are you crazy? If kids in Grade 8 can't figure this out, then we really are in trouble!

Why shouldn't the young ones be taught to understand the difference between relevant and irrelevant information, in the context of the questions given (opinion of a young person). This stuff is easy compared to the MONUMENTAL issues which stand before humankind..

Come on!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

In regards to the content of the story, the owl is the wisest because.. Pineapples really don't have sleeves!

..Really, this is not just a cunning ruse?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think this is an excellent question.
Everything that you need to know to answer the test questions are in the text or sub text.
I mean, this is a test after all. A comprehension test at that.
Do we really want questions like:

Larry sold used automobiles in an abandoned parking lot.

Question: Who sold used automobiles in an abandoned parking lot?
Answer: Larry!

Has the education bar dropped so low that these are the type of questions kids are expecting on tests these days? Or is the ability to understand and comprehend underlying themes suddenly not worthy of comprehension anymore?
edit on 25-4-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
B. C. D. A. D. C.
What's wrong with posing this story or the questions to an eight grader?
Wait ... Before someone answers that ... Was I right?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Please answer this question from the test and show where in the story it explains why your answer is the correct one............

The animals ate the pineapple most likely because they were
A Hungry
B Excited
C Annoyed
D Amused

-Alien

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

It could be hungry because the race took two hours

Two hours later when the hare cross the finish line, the pineapple was still sitting still and hadn't moved an inch.

Or it could be annoyed, because, well I would have to quote the whole thing, being tricked usually annoys people, even animal people lol.
edit on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:53:47 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I say that the elitist puppet masters periodically do stuff like this to serve as a marker of sorts....to see the public, as well as the school officials response in order to determine their progress, and whether they have sufficiently dumbed the people down enough or not before implementing the next phase of operations. Hey this IS ATS and I'm just sayin

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ToFarGone
reply to post by pavil

In regards to the content of the story, the owl is the wisest because.. Pineapples really don't have sleeves!

..Really, this is not just a cunning ruse?

And pineapples aren't animals......so said the Hare and Pineapples really aren't animals. Just as valid an observation. Which is the wiser? Plus the Owl agreed with the Crow's statement, according to the story, hardly a wise thing.
edit on 25-4-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

no it agreed that based on how the pineapple was talking that it would make sense.... not that it was necessarily true or even possible

im sure weve all met people who were terribly over confident and based on what they say and how they act it would make sense that they could do something.... and known perfectly well they couldnt based on the facts of the matter

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

I love that response. Quite appropriate given the subject we are talking about.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

edit on 4/25/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

No definitive answer?

Well what about the owl? It said the pineapple had no sleeves. Maybe it was just making a stupid remark and not trying to be clever (the pineapple is just a pineapple dude! get real!).

I think it would have been easier if one of the animals had said this before the owl made its comment: "I've met a lot of pineapples, and none of them ever moved. It can't win!" And then when the moose said it thought the pineapple had a trick up its sleeve, the owl could have stated it had no sleeves (with a wink) and it would have been strengthened by the information that pineapples don't move. It would have been even better if the (witty) characterization of the owl was already established.

The story says the pineapple is a tropical fruit, but where does it say it can't move or fly?

Maybe this was the first time the moose had ever seen a pineapple? Maybe he didn't know what the pineapple was capable of and that's why he wondered about tricks. I mean, imagine if something "alien" wanted to race you. Wouldn't you think that it might have some sort of 'trick'?

If I read "'Pineapples don't have sleeves', an Owl said." in most other places (in the same context) I would have thought it was just a dumb comment. Lots of childrens books have dumb characters that will act like that. The story didn't portray the owl as particularly smart before it commented.

As someone has posted earlier, "The animals agreed that this made sense. There was no reason a pineapple should challenge a hare unless it had a clever plan of some sort. So the animals, wanting to back a winner, all cheered for the pineapple." This probably means the Owl agreed, right?

So if the Owl said the pineapple is just a pineapple and has no tricks then why would it agree? Am I to assume that Owls aren't animals and therefore the Owl didn't agree?

I know I'm over-thinking and probably even mistaken. But my IQ is average, so I have an excuse. Furthermore, I was pushed into WR 40 right out of HS, so my writing/reading is not that great.

I've met people with high IQ's and they do run circles around me with things like this. When things start getting IQ-test tricky then I just fall back like somebody out of breath in the first 20 feet of a marathon. But I love to read science fiction and fantasy. Average IQ hasn't stopped me from reading.
edit on 26-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Please answer this question from the test and show where in the story it explains why your answer is the correct one............

A Hungry
B Excited
C Annoyed
D Amused

-Alien

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

You have to make an educated guess. There is no definitive answer to this question in my opinion.

This is what grinds me about these types of tests the most.

I always fared well with these types of tests.

I also fared well in subjective essay questions because I determined the motive(s) of each teacher/professor prior to taking the test. They all have their biases, as well as curriculum objectives.

Whether these answers are TRUELY right or not is the farce here. It is only what someone deems to be the right answer subjectively. An intelligent person can figure this out and manipulate an answer to get a passing grade.

But this is all Bull***t because there really isn't a decisively true answer. Just the most plausible.
edit on 27-4-2012 by Goldcurrent because: sp

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

Exactly. I don't agree with a test question that requires one to base their opinion on which is the correct answer. People have different opinions so in turn people will answer that question differently regardless of IQ.

IQ doesn't even apply in that question. Its absurd that someone could get an answer wrong for having the wrong opinion or feeling about a question that has no definitive answer based on the information provided.

-Alien

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Beginning with paragraph 4, in what order are the events in the story told?

A switching back and forth between places

B In the order in which the events happen

C Switching back and forth between the past and the present

D In the order in which the hare tells the events to another animal

Easy: B. The Story follows a simple A to C format. Only present tenses used that go through the flow of the pineapple challenging the hare, the hare rebuking but going along with it, to the animals of the forest talking about it as it happens.

A Hungry

B Excited

C Annoyed

D Amused

C: They where very annoyed. They sat around waiting for something to happen, but nothing happened. The pineapple is a jerk pretty much.

Which animal spoke the wisest words?

A The hare

B The moose

C The crow

D The owl

A: The Hare. Unless it is a trick question(then it is a very dumb and silly one which would be D). Because the hare's analysis was fairly spot on.[A is wrong. As the hare was tricked into running 20+ miles and the animals where tricked into watching. The only animal that suspected something wasn't right was the Moose, so B is my final answer]

Before the race, how did the animals feel toward the pineapple?
A Suspicious

B Kindly

C Sympathetic

D Envious

A) They thought the pineapple was plotting something(maybe seeking to spreading it's seeds by tricking the animals into consuming it, but who knows?) because of how outrageous the pretenses of the race seemed.

What would have happened if the animals had decided to cheer for the hare?

A The pineapple would have won the race.

B They would have been mad at the hare for winning.

C The hare would have just sat there and not moved.

D They would have been happy to have cheered for a winner.

D: The pineapple never had a chance as the Hare was serious about the race. The animals of the forest might of been in a better mood had they cheered for the winner.

When the moose said that the pineapple has some trick up its sleeve, he means that the pineapple

A is wearing a disguise

B wants to show the animals a trick

C has a plan to fool the animals

D is going to put something out of its sleeve

C: Ohh )**&^(*. That means the moose was the wisest animal because the pineapple did fool the animals.

Time to read the link and see what my test score is!
edit on 30-4-2012 by korathin because: fixed quote format mistake

edit on 30-4-2012 by korathin because: second take of fixing quote error

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Really, this is sad and ridiculous. This question is perfectly valid. The correct answers are:

"Beginning with paragraph 4, in what order are the events in the story told?"
B, In order.

"The animals ate the pineapple most likely because they were..."
C, Annoyed. Since the animals were intelligent like us, think about how we'd feel if we were "Trolled by a Talking Pineapple".

"Which animal spoke the wisest words?"
D, the Owl, because it spoke the moral of the story.

"Before the race, how did the animals feel toward the pineapple?"
A, Suspicious

"What would have happened if the animals had decided to cheer for the hare?"
D. No question about that.

"When the moose said that the pineapple has some trick up its sleeve, he means that the pineapple..."
C. "Something up [someone's] sleeve" is an idiom, a figure of speech. It is required of the language speakers to know the true meaning of idioms.

I read the Bible and let me tell you, it requires a LOT of reading comprehension. There are so many things that aren't explicitly stated in the text - you have to look for truth to see it. I'd bet if I saw this question before I started reading the bible I would be stumped.
edit on 2012/5/5 by KamiKazeKenji because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join