It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Daily Haiku - For Writer Wannabes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was enjoying reading the haikus in the "Your Daily Haiku" thread in the Collaborative Writing forum. I tried to post one of my own and was denied, I assume because I am not a "writer." So I am starting this thread for the rest of us. For info on haiku: www.wikihow.com... Get creative today and post one!

Old Eyes and New Wings
A dance in the Newborn Light
Eagles and I fly.
edit on 23-4-2012 by TZela because: left out word

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's not a haiku ^^

Haikus are 5-7-5, yours is 5-6-5.

If you write haiku
make sure to structure it so
it's really haiku

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I fixed it. Thank you!!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TZela

Did you put [WRC] after your title?
If not,thats why the thread got closed I am guessing.

I think you have to put [WRC] after your title for it to be counted as a "creative writing" post on ATS.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

No I didnt' try to start in new thread in collaborative writing forum. I just tried to post to an existing thread. I didn't realize all of those posting were called "writers". I'm new here, just learning. I probably won't be contributing enough creative writing to be considered a "writer." I thought haiku would be fun and a good stress-breaker so that's why I started this thread for everyone.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I love haikus.
probably in the top three of my favorite types of poetry
in line with limericks and epic poems

lol. okay so here goes.

Breezy sort of chill.
Office air conditioning,
Feet are very cold.

*bows and exits*

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Not sure if this is right, but here goes

Wind through the pines
Winter scented memories,
a squirrel dances.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I see that my link for information about haiku is already gone, so here are very general guidelines for writing haiku if you are new to the subject.

• Only three lines, totaling 17 syllables throughout
• The first line must be only 5 syllables
• The second line must be comprised of 7 syllables
• The third line must be 5 syllables like the first
• Punctuation and capitalization rules are up to the poet, and need not follow rigid rules used in structuring sentences
• Haiku does not have to rhyme, in fact many times it does not rhyme at all
• Some haiku can include the repetition of words or sounds
Defining Haiku Poetry
Haiku is a descriptive form of poetry.
Originating in Japan, haiku poetry typically discusses subjects from the natural world, including seasons, months, animals, insects, and even the smallest elements of nature, down to a blade of grass or a drop of dew.
While haiku does not have to only cover natural subject matter, it is most often used as a celebration of nature.

grammar.yourdictionary.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Morning light reveals
A work of art and deathtrap
Myriad of silk

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Today is a lousy day. But in the spirit of living in the moment I wrote a haiku for it.

Norovirus hits
Waves of churning misery
What a nice spring day

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Plant a tree today
Remembering Arbor Day
Celebrate nature!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
also denied, so thanks for the alternative

Wisdom reaches all
Even those who criticise
Bull’s Eye every time

KenArten

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
To most, I may be stating the known or obvious but …(information gathered from many sources)

It is said that haiku are often more difficult to read than write. This means that seeing into the depth of the haiku takes more than just simple reading. It takes getting into the mind and feelings of the writer, using the 17 syllables of clues presented, then linking one's own interpretations and experiences to extend (never complete in fine detail) the incomplete picture.

Traditionally and ideally, a haiku presents a pair of contrasting images, one suggestive of event, time and place, the other, usuall the last line, a fleeting observation or emotion. The poet must not make comments to suggest or explain the connection but leaves it to the reader to synthesis the two images and perceive and evoke his or her own understanding of the mood and emotion conveyed by the poet. The poet Basho, renown for excellent examples of this poetry form, is considered to have produced many with the perfect blend of this duality. One such example often quoted is

Now the swinging bridge
Is quieted with creepers
Like our tendrilled life

Remember of course, the translation into English itself is tricky as the idea must be conveyed accurately while still trying to maintain the 5-7-5 structure.

So to venture where the brave dare not tread ...
I thought I understood haiku (and please, never haikus – no plural of Japanese nouns) and eventually took the risk and sent one associated with a sumi-e to a serious haiku expert/guide/contact in Japan. The reply came back that still reverberates in my head (complete with Japanese accent) as a constant reminder

"bit too obvious"

oooops ... but still writing, hopefully less “obvious”
here are two (English versions) offerings with a similar theme, originally written in Japanese

Cycles of being
Life`s rhythm, music`s heartbeat
Each thing is perfect

Tuned in to life`s beat
Seeking music not a song
Each note is correct

KenArten

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KenArten

reply to post by KenArten

A very belated thank you for posting and providing great insight and verses! I had stopped checking this thread as was inactive for so long. Guess I learned my lesson that threads get found at times even after you think they've dropped off the radar!

top topics

join