It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New age common beliefs and myths: let´s talk about them (maybe demystify some of them)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by ottobot

Even the devout religious have a hard time tackling this issue:
• Why do bad things happen?
• Why do bad things happen to underserving people?

Honestly, the best answer I ever came up with is: "If infinity exists, then everything imaginable and unimaginable has happened, is happening, and will happen. This goes for the extreme poles of perceived good and evil.

I hate how people use the argument, "If God exists, why doesn't he regenerate amputated limbs?" All that does is show a lack of understanding of God. Which you would expect so much from a person who has never investigated the subject and jumped straight on to the denial-if-no-demonstrable-proof bandwagon.

You're right though.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
reply to post by ottobot

Karma and reincarnation

Karma works with reincarnation.
Karma needs a lot of lives to act and to be redeemed.

According to what I believe, Karma, as a cause for reincarnation, doesn't make much sense. Reincarnation and Karma make sense, but they don't really have that much, if anything, to do with each other.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so if I kill someone, the reaction is that that person is now dead and I probably now have guilt. I think that's pretty much the extent of it. Although, I would think a proper reason for reincarnation would be to learn how to live a life without guilt among other things, I don't think the events of a particular incarnation are scheduled to happen due to the state of a previous incarnation. I don't think there's anything that really needs to be "worked out". I think there is a progression towards something that was better than yesterday though. But that's not Karmic reincarnation, that's progressive reincarnation. It's all about experience.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
One must first find one Self alone, before knowing oneself in and as all things.
Alone is all one.

I was under the assumption that nearly everyone responding in this thread so far has illustrated this gnosis.

This brings us back 'round full circle.

I fear we are moving into the realm of defending personal semantics and subjectivity instead of coming to a shared realization or understanding.

Peace.

AND over-complicating it a bit imo, the answers were always within, but we needed to see, to see, can't have one without the other in reality, it's the extreme that varies person to person, the message is the same shown differently and exactly alike all at once.

Never ending story of beauty, hope and love...... all powered by heartbreak.

Sahabi, what is kgnow?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Manula

Souls aren't immortal, they die eventually. If your soul fails this test, it won't be able to ascend. This is a testing ground for newly formed souls of an advanced culture of beings. We pass or we fail. Some iffy ones are allowed to be reincarnated, other than that the failures will just die. We need to start to understand what some call our guardian angels. They are our spirit guides. Not all people possess souls, Many are just inhabited by a computer program created by these beings to structure a teaching system. Sort of like remote controlled organic puppets

edit on 23-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

(cough)...that's not funny

too harsh x

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
"We are all one"

I'm a firm believer in the digital reality theory, where we are part of an almost-infinite conscious information system that keeps evolving toward lower states of entropy (= more order = more love), to simply keep existing. From this point of view, I interpret the "we are all one" expression to mean that we are all "chips off the old block". That is, each one of us is cut from the same piece of cloth. We are individuated units of consciousness, having a temporary physical experience and interacting with each other in order to further our personal evolution, and thus, the evolution of the "larger consciousness system", aka "all that is". Put it simply, we are an evolutionary strategy for the system to discover more about itself.

Start with an initially completely uniform/undifferentiated "thing" that has always existed as potential - the most raw, simple fabric of existence that we can fathom. Then "one day" (words suck here, because that actually happens before time is even invented!), by some unlikely event, it manages to locally differentiate itself. All of a sudden, it discovered that it could be in two states: ON & OFF. That is, the simplest and most fundamental form information: a bit. Throw in a process of evolution coupled with the invention of time (= an ordered processing of information) and it's a small leap of logic to see how such a self-modifying information system ultimately becomes self-aware.

So now, we have this self-aware singularity, feeling all lonely and craving for new experiences - so what does it do? Well, it starts dividing itself into individuated units, separated from each other, and have them interact with each other. All of a sudden, the potential for new experiences and novelty increases exponentially! Eventually, the system starts evolving training simulators, aka "digital realities" that are particularly optimized toward certain types of experiences, providing their participants with unique growth opportunities to further their individual evolution, and thus the growth of the overall system. In such a system, reincarnation also makes perfect sense, but that's a whole topic in itself.

It is my belief that you and I currently live in such a digital reality. It doesn't mean it's fake, or that you end up in a spaceship heading to Zion after you take a red pill. It simply means it doesn't all boil down to little particles of "matter" (what is matter in the first place?) and that it's a little bit more huge/majestic than most of us have been led to believe.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

I wanted to say to you, once you remember who/what/how you are, then don't forget to remember who you started out as and take the new knowledge trusting who you were/are now.
Live Love Light

On that note my teenage son wants me to look at 'u-tube' stuff!
never know what I might learn...

have a great day/night fellahs/gals x

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Because the English language is very flexible, I feel it appropriate to have a play on words and spellings when it suits an intended meaning.

know + gnosis = kgnow

Kgnow: that which is self-evident and can not be described without corruption.

edit on 4/23/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hi Manula,

Great thread!

I’m definitely interested in all of the topics, and I agree they are all popular “new age” topics. But I still always kind of cringe when I hear the term “new age” --- It always conjurers up images of hippies hugging trees and taking acid.

The worse is when people group all my favourite topics under the term: “new-age religion” --- it combines images in my head of acid tripping hippies crossed with narrow minded bible thumpers. (And of course Yanni is mixed in there somewhere
So I cringe at that term as well.

B*tching aside
(And please note: the above mini rant on the term “new age” was not meant as a criticism of the OP or the thread itself --- just that imho, the term “new age religion” has been marginalized to the point where people who adhere to it are seen as silly dreamers. When imho, all of the topics you mentioned are very interesting and definitely worthy of further study/discussion.

I love the study of Reincarnation. Whenever I try to explain it to my traditional family --- my mentality is that --- if it was just one past life researcher that was regressing people into past lives than I could write that researcher off as a fraud or an idiot. But when there are so many other past life researchers who consistently report cases of clients also recalling past lives under hypnosis (and these clients are able to research and validate details of these past lives) --- all of this supporting evidence adds validity to the Reincarnation Theory. I’ve been reading alot of Dolores Cannon books lately --- and her books definitely delve into the more “out there” topics --- but still makes for a fun read.

What I disagree with or find difficult to fully wrap my head around though, is one of the conclusions many past researchers have suggested --- which is that prior to incarnating on earth --- we --- together with our guides choose what kind of challenges and life events we’d life to tackle. And I just can’t possibly see why someone would choose to have a life where they have the potential to become someone really evil like a pedophile or likewise why someone who choose to be a victim.

According to some researcher there is --- at the higher levels, no such thing as evil or good --- everything is simply an experience. But I still can’t see any benefit to such awful suffering one witnesses everyday in the world.

Regarding the concept: “We are all one”

Believe or not --- that was the concept that partly got me into all of this esoteric stuff. I was in a low point to my life, out of work and watching way too much TV. And one day, I came across a documentary on creation of the Universe. And afterwards, as I was falling asleep, I started thinking about our Universe and I realized that on a purely physical level --- I was not separate from anything on this Universe rather that I was a part it and it was a part of me.

Almost like if you picture a fish floating through the ocean. This fish is both part of the ocean but also separate from it as well. And so going a step further --- one can see that the earth that we’re a part of is part of the universe ect...and eventually we should end up with everything together makes up one “God.”

So when I look at the concept “we are all one” --- even from a purely physical level, to me, this makes sense. I am both part of the Universe/Multiverse?/Everything and exist separately within in as well. Just like that fish is part of the ocean, yet separately living its life within the ocean.

Now on a spiritual level, though I spent many years as an Atheist, I was raised a Christian and if I remember correctly: Christianity speaks that “God is both inside us and also all around us” --- which really makes sense with the “new age” twist added on. However, Christianity teaches us to revere God whereas new age philosophies suggest that we worship the “Godhead within.”

----
I remember reading a story of this lady who “channelled” an entity called “Ra” and the information that she relayed speaks to the idea (unless I’m mistaken) that “we are all one” and I think that she talks about the “law of attraction.” (Which on a side note: is I think the basis for the book/movie/CD/movement lol “The Secret”)

Which is simply put: Like attract Like. So if you’re positive and look on the bright side --- you’ll like see the world as positive and experience both good things. To me, that theory is almost like psychology 101.

However, I think it was Dave Chapelle who rightly pointed out that if ‘you’re starving in a 3rd world country” --- no amount of positive thinking is going to materialize a hamburger for you. So, despite all the praise and common sense of “law of attraction” --- there are obvious limits.

Because I’m quite convinced that reincarnation is very possible, I also think incurring good or bad karma is possible as well. But I think it’s important to be careful regarding this topic --- because I it would be an incorrect assumption to believe that people who are suffering “bring it on themselves” due to bad karma. The past life researcher Dolores Cannon has reported cases in which she found people deliberately choose to lead as difficult a life as possible in order to gain as much experience as they can.

Ascension --- that’s a hard one. When I was in my teens, a man that I worked with at pizza joint, actually lent me a beautiful book on Angels and ascension and I’m embarrassed to admit that when I read it back then I laughed and thought it the most ridiculous concept I’d ever heard. But...now I don’t know. I love the idea that there are Angels out there trying to help and guide us. And of course, I would love to be able to “ascend” so I don’t have to reincarnate anymore. But I honestly haven’t made up my mind on this topic. I’m very skeptical --- but open to the concept.

Service to self versus service to others --- I’m honestly not sure. I think this concept arose from the Ra material which I’m not 100% sold on (though find very interesting) and also I think the project Camelot people mention this idea as well. You know that saying “don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater” --- imho, this idea applies to both Project Camelot and the Ra material. (And also David Icke lol) A lot of what they spout is likely just dirty bath water --- but every now and then they come up with a very interesting concept.

To me --- this idea of wanting to serve other versus serving oneself --- is quite similar to the concept of good karma versus bad. Though if you go back to the idea that “we are all one” --- I could argue that when serving others, one’s in essence serving themselves.

Anyways great thread!

Thank-you and apologies to anyone who read all or any of this rambling!

edit on 23-4-2012 by OwenandNoelle because: Trying to correct all of my grammar and spelling mistakes...but there are so many...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

Karma only exists if you believe it exists, as we are such magnificent entities, we do have the power to create our own reality. the simplicity of all things has become so complicated, in this illusionary journey we call Life.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

Here is the thing. The new age movement is handing out incomplete information. Yes for the most part its about all you mentioned, however it doesn't hand out the accurate information per say. Most likely TPTB are doing this. But I think i figured out why.

By handing out incomplete information, people will start feeling God's presence yes, however because the information is incomplete this will cause massive confusion and people will become desperate, therefor the elite will be utilizing the peoples ego's to create chaos.

What the new age movement is doing is enlightening THE EGO. Why is this dangerous? because an enlightened ego will become depressed, sad, angry and schizophrenic. They will feel God, but they will still remain confused as to where exactly God is. This will cause desperation and a battle of ego vs observer starts in which the observer (us) become over powered.

An enlightened Ego is equal to demonic possession aka schizophrenia. Where even the voice of the person changes including their facial expression.

Luckily however I found a way to surpress the ego by simply claiming my sovereignty and making a deal with God. God IS REAL. And he/she talks to me all the time and I feel his/her presence. I would give you a spoiler, however I am not allowed to intervene. Only give clues. BUT I can give you a hint.

Think carefully about what that voice in the back of your head is saying. Pay close attention. You know which voice. It's the one that tells you not to do certain things or you will have a certain consequence depending on your actions. Say (for example) the you start thinking.

"I want to get revenge against this person"

There is a voice that says.

"No dont, you will hurt yourself if you do"

How many people actually listens to that voice?

Now if you truly are ready to learn the truth.

and willing to to do so, press this button. But I will warn you. If you do not take this seriously, There will be consenquences. The "devil" may cut you some slack, but God will not. So before you press the button, you must have absolute trust in the creator.

I warn you though, if you do not believe in God. DO not press it. There WILL be consenquences and your ego will have it's way with you without the creators interference. So again if you are NOT sure. DO not press. I suggest also you read everything in the website. follow the links before pressing the button. If the information resonates in your heart.

Then you will know if you are ready to meet the creator,

Suggestion: I recomend you read the information on the website outloud. This will overwhelm the ego. It did so for me. And the moment I did press the button after educating myself on that site, My mind suddenly became silent after a brief headache ironically on the left side of the brain. It will pass it's only temporary.

www.roage.com...

edit on 23-4-2012 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

We are all one
Yes, this is also science. Quantum Physics confirms this.

Existence of higher self (good self) and lower self (bad self)
There is just "self", if you want to distinguish between "good" and "bad" that is your choice, and it would be an opinion since there are many definitions of good and bad and people have different ideas of what is good and bad.

wanting causes suffering
Yes, to want causes suffering because when you are wanting you are feeling the lack of something that you want which you don't have, and that hurts.

Ego as the bad guy
It is not "good" or "evil", it is just "existent".

Reincarnation
Yes, it does occur. We are not in "a school" to learn "lessons". If we were in a school called Earth in order to learn lessons, we would retain our memory so that we won't make mistakes that we already figured out in past lives.

No, This idea is bad. When someone does evil to another, it feels good to believe that "karma will get them!", however, it can be used to control people. The people who believe that they have "bad karma" from another life and must therefore suffer through this life is creating their own suffering. There are not chains of karma, holding you back. It is just a perspective. A bad one which keeps people suffering.

Ascension
Yes, I prefer to just call it "change" because that is what it is. Things are changing, but this is always true. More and more people are becoming aware of their true peaceful nature.

Service to self and service to others (law of one doctrine)

No, just existence. Existence with with true nature, which is peace of mind, and help others rediscover the peace that they ALREADY have.

Denying of the self as the way to happiness
No, this is bad. Keep peace with the self, and then help others rediscover the peace within themselves. This can be done by helping them in times of suffering.

Compassion is helping a person return to their peace when they have lost it. It is always there, but sometimes we can't see it.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Ego as the bad guy
It is not "good" or "evil", it is just "existent".

Actually, the ego is basicaly the "bad" force fiction that man created out of fear. And according to budda, it is pure ilussion. But man was overtaken by it's own creation.

Edit: more on this, yes it was allowed to continue to "exist", however it serves a purpose on protecting the being inside the observer's body. (us). But it does not care about the physical body. So in a sense you are half right, but the ego still remains an illussion. In reality it does not exist. Man simply gave it power and manifested it.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

perfect

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Those "others" are YOU. It's really the trinity, what you can "see" with your mind eye. It's YOU, ME, AND THIS PLANET THAT WE LIVE ON.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Puresk1lls

Aye, and i will give YOU a hint.

There is the supreme authority, (God, source creator, allah, w/e you want to call it. There is only one creator) Followed by self, aka soul aka spirit. Then comes Ego, then the observer (us).

So we have God, self, ego and observer. Remove the ego, You will have God, self and observer. That is your trinity.
It is also known as "father son holy spirit". But just like the new age movement, the bible and religious factions have their information incomplete. And they do not mention ego but the substitute ego with "Satan". This is where people are confused.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Oneness is one so no higher or lower self because that makes two.

Thomas gives a good answer...

They said to him, "Then shall we enter the kingdom as babies?"

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

If all is one how can i serve 'others'?

Others are part of the whole...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

Well I guess it depends on how you are defining it. If you are talking about the part of you focused on the material and to protect the self, then yes it exist because that is a part of you.

Just like intelligence exist because it is the part of you focused on the pursuit of knowledge.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
reply to post by ottobot

Karma and reincarnation

Karma works with reincarnation.
Karma needs a lot of lives to act and to be redeemed.
Maybe sometimes terrible and painful experiences are exactly what the incarnated soul wants to live.
Lord works in mysterious ways, we all heard this...
There is more learning in living hard experiences than good.
The spiritual world is so soft and warm, so full of light and love, souls want to live hard experiences for a change, so that they can value the spiritual world.
Souls come from a world of love and light, maybe they want to experience the opposite of their home, to learn and evolve.

Ok, so in the example of an adult female with the mental capacities of a three year old who is repeatedly raped - what is she learning?

If she was born without the capacity to learn more than a young child, then what is she supposed to learn by being hurt all the time?

Are you trying to say her soul is just there for the body to get hurt, and experience that pain just to experience it? Even though her mind can't comprehend the evil that is being done to her, the soul is remembering it for the next life? I'm not sure I understand you on this one.

I just don't think that karma applies to all situations.

I have seen many bad things done to defenseless people. All they learn is to fear other people. It is very sad to see an otherwise placid and smiling person weeping and screaming and banging her head on the walls and scratching at you while you are attempting to assist her with a shower.

So. I really just do not believe in karma. It breaks my heart.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Can the seer be seen?
Are you the seer or the seen?
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by ottobot

Even the devout religious have a hard time tackling this issue:
• Why do bad things happen?
• Why do bad things happen to underserving people?

Honestly, the best answer I ever came up with is: "If infinity exists, then everything imaginable and unimaginable has happened, is happening, and will happen. This goes for the extreme poles of perceived good and evil.

Yes, I agree that everything has happened and does happen and will happen - all at the same time.

It is still unpleasant to experience them when they are currently happening.

And, really, who has the presence of mind while something horrible is happening to think, "Oh, well this is only happening because everything happens. I was given a family so that I could experience them all being murdered while I was taking a holiday at the beach. No big deal." or "Well, that's just karma getting me back for my last life! Hopefully I won't have to be bashed in the skull any more in this life."

edit on 4/23/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join