It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies, time, and your perception of the classics.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
As a kid growing up in the 80s, iconic movies that have stuck it out as movie greats have become the norm for my generation. Beginning really with the Star Wars Trilogy in 1977, I grew up watching such classics as Back to the Future, The Indiana Jones series, Topgun, Predator, Alien and Aliens (the rest was just filler IMO), and of course the classic Terminator, Arnold’s first big role. There are many more of course, which even today I can sit down and watch time and again, and their appeal and pizzaz never fade.

Unfortunately the dream has, in part, died for me recently. One of my favourite cult classics growing up was the Highlander movies, mainly parts one and two. With a fairly impressive cast, lots of sword fighting, the movie was a favourite of mine growing up.

So it was with great anticipation I recently was delivered a copy of both Highlander and Highlander 2: The Quickening. I set myself down for an entertaining night getting acquainted with my childhood.

Or so I thought.

Approximately 2 hours later, the movie ended. And I was left with this odd feeling. A feeling that went something like, “What the hell was I thinking?”

Perhaps the illusion of impressionable youth had coloured my glasses rose, but Highlander was terrible. Poorly acted first off, considering the talent involved in the movie, especially the role of Sean Connery. An Egyptian with a thick Scottish accent? Really?

Even worse were the visual effects. Now I know we were hardly at the peak of visual greatness way back in 1986, but honestly it looked like the special effects were done on a Commodore 64, by an amatuer.

By comparison to the classics of the age, Highlander should have been everything I had hoped for, yet managed to fall so far short of my expectations as an adult. I have similarly watched endless cartoons that have wowed me as a child, yet as an adult, I can see the poorness in their quality and scripting. These are cartoons however, and are expected to be lost in the translation of growing up.

So, to perhaps assauge my fears, I decided to watch the second half only a day ago. Somehow, it not only didn’t get any better, it somehow got worse. Now we were introduced to the Highlanders as space aliens from another world, and Micheal Ironside, perhaps one of my favourite actors, think Topgun and Total Recall, trying to reprise the role of the bad guy from the original Highlander almost word for word. I’ll admit, he was funnier than the Kurgan in the first one, but still the premise of the story was ridiculous, even more than the first one. I shudder to think there are three more movies and a TV series attached to this idea. One can only wonder how darkly downward the remainder spirals. I for one, will not be taking part.

So, I invite others to share in their own experience of pain at a childhood favourite being an utter disappointment in their own adulthood. Have you had a cult classic that has wowed you in your youth, yet has fallen miserably short later on in life? And of course, not just my own 2 cents regarding the Highlander movies, but anything you may have seen that dazzled at first, then later fizzled.

For now, I need to go back and watch Mortal Kombat to see Christopher Lambert in a role I truthfully admired him for, and of course Sean Connery, in his masterpiece as Henry Jones Senior. And of course, relegate the Highlander movies to their true place.

The bin....

edit on 23-4-2012 by 74Templar because: added text

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The first Highlander was the only one I liked..but I haven't seen it in year either.

I was a teenager and "The Deer Hunter" was my favorite movie. No kidding: )

About a dozen years ago I was dating a woman who had never seen the movie..I was sooooo excited to share the experience with her..we made it about 25 minutes into the movie and we were both so bored I took the movie out.

I haven't watched it since...I did watch it several times as a teen..we had Showtime and you know how they repeat the movies all month.

Listening to KISS is similar too....I loved KISS...now I can't understand the fascination..I still like other bands I listened to as a youngster....even love some of them still.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Highlander 2 is pretty much considered one of the worst sequels ever by the fans of Highlander...Most try to pretend that it never happened. ....If you want something halfway good, I'd recommend the TV series....It's not high art or anything...But it was a decent series.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Highlander 2 is pretty much considered one of the worst sequels ever by the fans of Highlander...Most try to pretend that it never happened. ....If you want something halfway good, I'd recommend the TV series....It's not high art or anything...But it was a decent series.

I'm almost too scared to watch any further, although there are three more movies, and the TV series. I just remember Highlander being this great show as a kid, yet it was so totally disappointing a second go around. Just the acting alone ruined it, leave alone the second grade special effects and complete lack of historical accuracy.

Mind you;

"I have something to say. It's better to burn out than to fade away!" is still pretty funny, even after all these years.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

Hey I loved Vanilla Ice. Wait, did I just say that??

Actually I stopped listening after an argument with a friend that he was ripping off Queen.

"Say it isn't so!"

Sadly he was right, and the ride was over.

My advice, don't go back for a second helping. It aint worth the heartache.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Like yourself i was growing up in the eighties and am no stranger to all the movies you mentioned. Star Wars always stuck out to me and my childhood was almost moulded around this fad as i collected all the toys. I remember the first three movies like the back of my hand as i had went to see them so often in the cinema...this is before everyone had a video player. Unfortunatley your experience of Highlander loosing the original magic when you recently watched it happened to me with Star Wars when it got the newly digitally remastered trilogy boxset with a few extra CGI scenes. It wasn't the CGI that ruined it but the overall vibe just wasn't as believable as i had preconceived. And even though Mark Hamill had been a childhood hero of mine, i pretty much couldn't bear to look at him anymore.

The Terminator still has it except for the odd bit rubbish special effects.

Fortunatley some of the other movies you mention still have it in IMO like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien. I know it might have taken you all day to mention all the movies of the era but i do think E.T. deserves a mention.
edit on 23-4-2012 by sharkz because: typo

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

I'm almost too scared to watch any further, although there are three more movies, and the TV series. I just remember Highlander being this great show as a kid, yet it was so totally disappointing a second go around. Just the acting alone ruined it, leave alone the second grade special effects and complete lack of historical accuracy.

Mind you;

"I have something to say. It's better to burn out than to fade away!" is still pretty funny, even after all these years.

Hahaha....I always liked "Happy Halloween Ladies" as my favorite line!

Anyway...I'd recommend the TV series...It's not too bad! Oh, and it pretty much just ignores the second film entirely. Also kind of follows it's own story line. This version ignores the second movie altogether...and also doesn't follow the ending of the first, in the sense that No one has won the 'Prize' yet and there are still many Immortals around. It follows an ancestor of Connor MacLeod, named Duncan Macleod....But Connor does show up in the series first episode, and meets Duncan. I'd recommend trying a few episodes...It's a decent series.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

I may have to give them a chance. Hopefully it will rekindle my hope that it is not all bad. I do recall the TV series, and did see a few episodes, but a long time ago.

Not just the Highlander series, but I am wondering if someone else has had a favourite movie that has been destroyed later after a grown up look...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharkz

Like yourself i was growing up in the eighties and am no stranger to all the movies you mentioned. Star Wars always stuck out to me and my childhood was almost moulded around this fad as i collected all the toys. I remember the first three movies like the back of my hand as i had went to see them so often in the cinema...this is before everyone had a video player. Unfortunatley your experience of Highlander loosing the original magic when you recently watched it happened to me with Star Wars when it got the newly digitally remastered trilogy boxset with a few extra CGI scenes. It wasn't the CGI that ruined it but the overall vibe just wasn't as believable as i had preconceived. And even though Mark Hamill had been a childhood hero of mine, i pretty much couldn't bear to look at him anymore.

The Terminator still has it except for the odd bit rubbish special effects.

Fortunatley some of the other movies you mention still have it in IMO like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien. I know it might have taken you all day to mention all the movies of the era but i do think E.T. deserves a mention.
edit on 23-4-2012 by sharkz because: typo

Oh don't get me started on George Lucas's constant rewrites of the Star Wars movies. Then totally ruining it by bringing out the new trilogy. While I can understand artists are never fully satisfied with their works, endlessly putting new stuff in (blinking ewoks? Really? Darth Vader's NOOOO? Really Really?) stomps all over the originals. What makes me sad is there is a whole generation out there that thinks this current incarnation is the real one, and will never see the originals.
As for E.T., yes another classic I could mention. Although one I did not see as often as the others, still a classic worthy of a mention in the awesome 80s

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

HeHeH i have to admit i didn't mind the new Star Wars movies and i would love to the see the originals remade but slightly different.

Other good movies that just came to mind....Platoon and Ghostbusters

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
Hey I loved Vanilla Ice. Wait, did I just say that??

Actually I stopped listening after an argument with a friend that he was ripping off Queen.

"Say it isn't so!"

Sadly he was right, and the ride was over.

My advice, don't go back for a second helping. It aint worth the heartache.

I think you'll find it's called "Sampling" and almost every hip-hop track since its birth has sampled classic tracks from soul, funk, rock, reggae and every other genre.

It's not "ripping off"

You actually stopped listening to music you liked because someone told you sampling was called "ripping off"

That's pretty silly.

Regarding the movies... I agree on all the ones you mention in the OP... except highlander.
I never liked the moves and always thought they were a little crap.

Never gone back and watched since the mid 90's but never liked them anyway.

One that had this effect on me though (and it's more recent) is Even Horizon... I remember LOVING that film when it came out... it was dark, awesome, psychological... messed up.

Watched it about a year ago and it was just soooo bad.
Awful acting, crap effects.... such insanely awful dialogue.

Thankfully there are better movies in that genre anyway.

But the idea of some of your fav films not being quite so good... is a little sad.

Also 80's movies ROCK... (probably cos I too grew up in the 80's - born 79) but 80's movies are just the best... soooo many cool films.... and FUN too
edit on 23/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes, I am aware of sampling. Hence it was a joke...

I remember having an argument with my father at age 10 about a song that was supposedly brand new. When he said it was a remake, I said no way. I now have the same conversation with my own kids.

And just for the record, I still like Vanilla Ice...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Why isn't sampling ripping off. If you steal from someones tune you rip it off. This can be a regurgitation of the melody, lyrics or a slice of the original recording.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sharkz

Actually there's one right there. Ghostbusters. The original, awesome work. Visuals a little sketchy, but hey for 1984, pretty watchable.

The second? Absolutely terrible. Terrible script, even worse storyline, and acting. Another that makes the list, and one I saw again recently.

As for the new SW movies? I don't know. Visually very good, even the acting and storyline weren't too bad in parts. Sadly, for me, it was just a little too technical, almost as if it was a race to see just how much special effects and CGI they could stuff into one movie. IMO that really takes away from the true nature of any movie, to tell a good story.
edit on 23-4-2012 by 74Templar because: added text

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I remember my friend getting the "Hard to Swallow" album... produced by Ross Robinson... Korn, Limp Bizkit producer..

And when I heard "Too Cold" I just about pissed myself laughing.... actually not a bad reimagining of "Ice Ice baby"

If you haven't heard it... you MUST

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharkz

Why isn't sampling ripping off. If you steal from someones tune you rip it off. This can be a regurgitation of the melody, lyrics or a slice of the original recording.

Actually, the conversation was with a friend who was saying the Vanilla Ice song Ice Ice Baby uses Queen's "Under Pressure" as it's main beat. We were both about 13 at the time, and I really feel he hated the song because it was a white rapper more than anything else. Add to the fact I didn't know the Queen song at the time, and thought it was a brand new track.

Sampling is not a bad thing in any event, it gives people a familiar sound when listening to new music, which makes a new song more reachable to an older audience, in much the same way as remade songs do.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I,m a ashamed to say i don't think i saw GB's2. But just thought of another i did enjoy. I think it was on at the same time as Back to the Future ....Gremlins.

And pity i forgot this one as i always thought it his best...The Beverly Hills Cop

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Now, I can honestly say, if that was the original edit, no doubt would have been a much bigger fan...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sharkz

Ahhh, Gremlins. I recently watched that one with my kids. I have to say, it was just a little disappointing as a grown up, but my kids enjoyed it believe it or not.

And Beverly Hills Cop. Yes, anything Eddie Murphy from any period gets my vote of approval.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Well if you heard the album and didn't know beforehand that it was vanilla ice... then it pretty much sounded like all the other "Nu Metal" bands around... you woulda thought it was Bizkit/Korn album or something.

And then... when that track (too cold) comes on... man.... some funny ****

top topics

<<   2 >>

join