It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mining in space the next frontier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Details of a asteroid mining missions is about to revealed on Thuesday, by a company called Planetary Resources. So a heads up to look out for that.

Apparently this company has the backing of James Cameron, and high ranking officials of Google.

The company’s objectives are understood to be twofold: the mining of natural resources and space exploration, with the aim of selling the raw materials extracted from the asteroids and adding trillions of dollars to the global GDP.

Space entrepreneurs Peter Diamandis and Eric Anderson are just two of the names behind Planetary Resources. In a press release, the company announced its intentions to create “a new industry in space and a new definition of natural resources”.

Nasa scientists say the high concentration of raw materials found in asteroids could supply Earth with vital stockpiles of natural resources. According to the Huffington Post, Diamandis has made no secret of his desire to mine asteroids. In an interview earlier this year with Forbes magazine, he said: “The earth is a crumb in a supermarket of resources.

Article

I don't know, but I just get a feeling there might be more to this story. Is there something they are looking for specifically, maybe some type of mineral or something we are unaware off, but which they might have discovered?

I am interested to see what will come of this. So keep an eye open for the news on Thuesday.

vvv

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I only see this s a grab for more wealth for a few while ignoring the needs of the many.

Call it science but it's greed and selfishness when people go off World to seek riches for personal gain while ignoring their fellow man on Earth and spending Billions...Trillions?

They may state that it's for the advancement of science and understanding but we all know where the money could be better spent don't we?

Traitors to humanity.

Peace

edit on 23-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

In a sense I would agree.

Why would James Cameron have an interest in this? I think its purely for financial gain. He does have the input capital to start such a venture, but then claiming its for humanity, that is bs.

vvv

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Great, destroyed the earth, now they need somewhere else to ruin....

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoonsince89

Indeed mate, that seems to be the way of man.

Seems like Agent Smith was indeed correct, we are a virus.....

vvv

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Indeed mate, that seems to be the way of man.

Seems like Agent Smith was indeed correct, we are a virus.....

vvv

I rather have James Cameron on this than Bush or any other OIL hungry evil powers!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Oh, please.

How can you ruin a dead rock in space? Human presence can only enrich the space.

I certainly support their endeavour. I doubt it will be profitable in any way, but at least they will try to advance the capabilities and reach of humanity. The negativity I see in this thread surprises me very much.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Peter diamandis is the driving force behind this venture. He is a good man, who's motives are not limited to making a profit, although making a profit is needed to get the kind of finacial backing required for such a project.

Join visionary Peter H. Diamandis, M.D.; leading commercial space entrepreneur Eric Anderson; former NASA Mars mission manager Chris Lewicki; and planetary scientist & veteran NASA astronaut Tom Jones, Ph.D. on Tuesday, April 24 at 10:30 a.m. PDT in Seattle, or via webcast, as they unveil a new space venture with a mission to help ensure humanity’s prosperity. Supported by an impressive investor and advisor group, including Google’s Larry Page & Eric Schmidt, Ph.D.; film maker & explorer James Cameron; Chairman of Intentional Software Corporation and Microsoft’s former Chief Software Architect Charles Simonyi, Ph.D.; Founder of Sherpalo and Google Board of Directors founding member K. Ram Shriram; and Chairman of Hillwood and The Perot Group Ross Perot, Jr., the company will overlay two critical sectors – space exploration and natural resources – to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP. This innovative start-up will create a new industry and a new definition of ‘natural resources’.

Here is diamandis giving a talk at TED back in 2008, where he talks about asteroid mining amongst other things.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is just laughable at best...It cost Nasa $800 million to retrieve only a small amount from an asteroid.
And Japan's Hayabusa spacecraft it cost 16.2 billion Yen to retrieve a couple of ounces.

So we dont have the Technology capable of bringing back enough to make it a viable mission,no way they will make a profit. Do they have space frigates now?
So my point of view is there doing it for the need, the need to get our ass's out and explore the cosmo's.

A mining operation on the Moon seems more plausable for profit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I would love to see Phage's point of view on this.
edit on 23-4-2012 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I only see this s a grab for more wealth for a few while ignoring the needs of the many.

Call it science but it's greed and selfishness when people go off World to seek riches for personal gain while ignoring their fellow man on Earth and spending Billions...Trillions?

They may state that it's for the advancement of science and understanding but we all know where the money could be better spent don't we?

Traitors to humanity.

Peace

Actually no, we don't know where it could be better spent. By that logic the Columbus expedition should never have been funded due to all the european poor needing help.

If it generates a space gold rush and finally helps push us off this rock in a meaningful way its money well spent. I'm more than happy for people to get rich off of it.

edit on 23-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I didn't know the Arabs had a space program???

On a serious note, this has been destined to happen for somje time now. It's an exciting and facinating time for any space program!
edit on 23-4-2012 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Mine astroids could be very lucrative.

Iridium, should be in abundance on astroids, and it's rather scarce on earth.

Now for what it would be used for, I have no idea.

vvv

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Explanation: S&F!

Since the international laws on space are either unenforcible or contain so many loopholes as to be sidestepped completely ...

Did Nasa STEAL luna rocks from the moon? (by OmegaLogos posted on 24-10-2011 @ 08:12 PM) [ATS: note thread is closed]

.. there is nothing to stop them doing this.

Personal Disclosure: Strangely enough to have the wherewithall to do that would require something like this ...

TPTB can't Tax you, if you're beyond their reach, out in space! Viable ways to get off this planet! (by OmegaLogos posted on 5-1-2011 @ 08:10 AM) [ATS]

... which means that once up and off the planet they wouldn't need to return to it ever again!

So getting out there to bring stuff back is simply a scam to get out there in the 1st place!

Who will rule the HIGH GROUND?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Hi vre
I for one will be damn suprised to find out what a couple individuals with a few bucks can do compared to the resourses of every other country in the world's resourses spent in space.
And compare that to the zero return. Can't wait to see the smoke and mirrors of this act. Damn good thing they got CAMERAS and photomumble shopsmumble
dazzed ljb

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Hiome,

"who will rule the high ground"
Those that rule LEO.
I think that has been the shuttles mission for a long while now.
Sure as hell wasn't space exploration!
think starwars, not the movie lol
ljb
PS and haarp Norway spiral

jra

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Details of a asteroid mining missions is about to revealed on Thuesday, by a company called Planetary Resources.

As far as I know, the asteroid mining is just speculation at this point. It could be something else entirely, perhaps something that will one day lead to asteroid mining. But right now I would see it being extremely difficult, if not, impossible to make a profit mining anything in space at this point. Although I'd love to be proven wrong on this. I guess we'll see what it is tomorrow.

Better to do it in space than on Earth I'd think. There's no atmosphere to pollute, no wildlife harm, no environment to destroy at all.
edit on 23-4-2012 by jra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Traitors to humanity.

Peace

You're trying to tell others how they should use their own money. That's selfish.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Lets see how long this takes to get off the ground literally
I will have a guess at 20+ years and we will still just be talking about it!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Found this article on Yahoo about this:

A newly unveiled company with some high-profile backers — including filmmaker James Cameron and Google co-founder Larry Page — has announced plans to mine near-Earth asteroids for resources such as precious metals and water.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

So how much do they intend on charging us for the water they intend on mining in outer space? More importantly, how do they plan on making it necessary?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Oh, please.

How can you ruin a dead rock in space? Human presence can only enrich the space.

How do you know that this idea will be limited to "dead rocks"?

Cameron's movie Avatar shows what ideas are in his head...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join