It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could down syndrome people be the missing link?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Regular humans have 46 chromosomes, Down syndrome people have 47 chromosomes, Gorillas have 48 chromosomes.

Could it be that down syndrome people don't really fit in with society too well is because they might be closer to gorillas and prefer to live in nature?

Maybe they don't like being in society bagging my groceries, wearing diapers, and riding funny busses.

I think there should be an experiment where a group of down syndrome people are put into a jungle/ nature environment and see what happens.. they might swing from trees, form their own tribes and kill wild pigs with their bare hands (they are strong). Maybe they would feel right at home..

Just a theory, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
edit on 22-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
They aren't gorillas, they can understand human languages. I doubt that they could figure out how to survive in the jungle. I had a down syndrome neighbor for years, it's kind of horrible to de-humanize them when they are still humans.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

it doesnt go 48 47 46

it goes 48 46 44

two chromosomes fuse

i have no idea about what im talking about
edit on 22-4-2012 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
They aren't gorillas, they can understand human languages. I doubt that they could figure out how to survive in the jungle. I had a down syndrome neighbor for years, it's kind of horrible to de-humanize them when they are still humans.

Gorillas can understand human language too. I don't know if the definition of human has to do with chromosomes or not, but it is a fact they they have a different chromosome structure.

The purpose of my thread wasn't to "dehumanize" them but just maybe say there might be nothing wrong with them at all.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Down Syndrome occurs because there is an extra copy of Trisomy 21. The extra chromosome causes problems.

I think you will find that no creature with 3 copies of Trisomy 21 is considered "normal" by standards of that species.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
Down Syndrome occurs because there is an extra copy of Trisomy 21. The extra chromosome causes problems.

I think you will find that no creature with 3 copies of Trisomy 21 is considered "normal" by standards of that species.

So this happens often in other species? There are down syndrome birds and hippos and such?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
aw yea found something

"XYY syndrome is an aneuploidy (abnormal number) of the sex chromosomes in which a human male receives an extra Y-chromosome, giving a total of 47 chromosomes instead of the more usual 46. This produces a 47,XYY karyotype which occurs in 1 in 1000 male births.

Some medical geneticists question whether the term "syndrome" is appropriate for this condition[1] because its clinical phenotype is normal[1][2] and the vast majority (an estimated 97% in Britain) of 47,XYY males do not know their karyotype.[3]"

from wiki

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

That sounds like Trisomy 23.
Second line

edit:
Trisomy 21 (aka: Down Syndrome) is not "Sex-linked" meaning it isnt related to XY chromosomes.
When the egg is fertilized a tertiary Chromosome (21) is left inside, causing 47 chromosomes to be left.
edit on 23-4-2012 by lordtyp0 because: Edit to explaine:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Mutations and alterations in Chromosomal creation occur in everything living.
So yeah, its very possible you've owned a pet with a similar condition. Or at least seen one.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I'm hoping that your post is made out of genuine ignorance and not cruelty, you really should read up on downs syndrome and how these people and their families are affected, as for jungle survival you've really plucked that one from nowhere. Í've worked most of my adult life with young people with disabilities and seen them bullied in the streets because of people who believe what you believe, that they are somehow less than human. I have aspergers myself, you have to understand that it is cruel to suggest that anybody with any disability is sub human. when you see the people who bully disabled people in the streets then you will see people who are more ape than person. I hope your intention genuinely wasn't to be cruel but it is.
be well

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Isn't Trisomy 21 only limited to humans? Horses for instance dont have Trisomy 21 correct?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Isn't Trisomy 21 only limited to humans? Horses for instance dont have Trisomy 21 correct?

Technically it wouldnt be tri-21. But they can be left with additional chromosomes which cause the equivalent-of sorts anyway. At least Trisomy has been observed in a lot of different animals making it possible. I doubt it has ever really been studied to identify the syndromes.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider

I'm hoping that your post is made out of genuine ignorance and not cruelty, you really should read up on downs syndrome and how these people and their families are affected, as for jungle survival you've really plucked that one from nowhere. Í've worked most of my adult life with young people with disabilities and seen them bullied in the streets because of people who believe what you believe, that they are somehow less than human. I have aspergers myself, you have to understand that it is cruel to suggest that anybody with any disability is sub human. when you see the people who bully disabled people in the streets then you will see people who are more ape than person. I hope your intention genuinely wasn't to be cruel but it is.
be well

As i said I didn't post to hurt anyone's feelings just throwing theories out there (isn't that what this site is for?).. my whole point is that they might not be "disabled" and are just that way because they are forced to adhere to our screwed up way of life.
edit on 23-4-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Better explanation:
(I also phrased something odd earlier)
Trisomy just means that you have 3 copies instead of just 2 of a specific chromosome.
You have 'normal' chromosomes such as #21. And sex-linked ones: X and Y.

Humans normally have 46 total. The 47th in this case is because a third copy of #21 exists.

A cat on the other hand only has 19 pairs. "Trisomy 21" isn't possible. But they could have a similar syndrome with one of the others (making for 20 Chromosomes, would just be called different).

That being said-though the symptoms of the syndrome could be very similar. It would not be the same thing and nobody in the medical community, or vet fields for that matter would refer to a "Feline Down Syndrome".

The potential is there however.

edit on 23-4-2012 by lordtyp0 because: Typos...

edit on 23-4-2012 by lordtyp0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why are you making multiple threads on this?
With all due respect, its a ridiculous idea to start, but multiple threads really just comes off as trolling.

Can this explain the super human strength that down syndrome people have?

I can't believe you asked that...

Old thread
edit on 23-4-2012 by lordtyp0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

fair enough I'll take you're word for that, in your OP you made quite a few generalization that showed that you don't really understand the condition so i would suggest you first read up on it and then comment, things like
"they are strong" body types for people with downs syndrome are as varied as for anybody else but it is more likely that they will be shorter with joint problems and more likely to become obese. not stronger than average.
"wearing diapers" not the case for all. those comments and the bagging groceries riding funny busses line come across to me a bit iffy. but as i said I'll take your word that it wasn't intended in that way but suggest you should read up on it first and reflect on whether your OP makes reasonable statements or hurtful ones,
be well

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

top topics

join