It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottonline, should we teach our children to vote Democrat or Republican?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Bottom line?...Teach them to THINK and let them decide for themselves...and there are more than those two parties to choose from

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I tried to expose my children to the big world when they were in middle school...and then I let them decide what they thought was right. They are all adults now. My oldest is a ambulance worker....the middle....just got rewards for her work in language. My youngest...called me yesterday to tell me her collegiate group went to a Ron Paul rally and wanted to know what I thought....I told her "The fact you expended the effort to go to a political rally makes me soooo happy I can't describe it"

I am a Ron Paul fan....but I was so happy that my daughter, who I have allowed to develop their own values....has chosen the Libertarian path....makes me very happy.

I do not shove my views down the throats of my kids....as a Libertarian...we can't do that! We must allow our fellow citizens the right to develop their own views....I was so happy my youngest learned what a Libertarian is and embraced it....our future has hope folks....

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
We are concentrating on teaching good values. I think the rest will follow.

Good values in American politics does not exist.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't recall ever having a political discussion with my parents, or that they swayed me in any political direction. I made and make my own decisions. Likewise, I have never steered my daughter towards on political ideology. Frankly, I couldn't care less how she votes when she is of age.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My husband and I discuss politics a lot more with our kids than we did with our parents. We have tried to discourage thinking along the lines of party affiliation so they get the idea that you should vote on issues and for people based on individual, rather than group mentality.

As a kid I remember politics being the adult conversation but I was aware of what party my family was for even though I often didn't really understand why. This thread reminded me of being in grade school (in the sixties) and the teacher asked us to raise our hands to show whether our parents were democrat or republicans. Of course that started a boisterous debate and encouraged alliance to a certain political party. (after all, my parents are smarter than your parents! haha.)

We also have tried to discuss history and how some of our outlook has changed based on hindsight being 20/20. I see now that when I was younger I was influenced by certain ideas and movements based more on media hype than actual facts and I want them to watch out for these type of influences that are thrown out there by both parties.
edit on 23-4-2012 by TZela because: changed wording

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Don't teach them Republican vs. Democrat, teach them critical thinking, logic, history, math and work to instill an independent streak in them. Teach them about liberty and being self-sufficient. Teach them to take care of their family and fellow man. Teach them to not be a leach, but to provide for themselves. Teach them hard work and a sense of accomplishment. Teach them not to bully, but to stand up for themselves. Teach them public speaking. Spend time with them and unplug them from TV, video games. Teach them to read. Teach them to debate.

All else will take care of itself.

edit on 4/23/2012 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
No, we shouldn't tell our kids to vote one way or the other, they should make up their own minds.

The problem is, we have our modern day Academia folks telling and brainwashing our kids to vote Democrat.
As a result, the only way to keep a high GPA is to NOT disrupt the status quo with any conservative idealogies whatsoever.
These kids no longer have a choice but to go along and agree with everything these Liberal Professors keep spewing, or else.
So much for free thinking.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
No, we shouldn't tell our kids to vote one way or the other, they should make up their own minds.

The problem is, we have our modern day Academia folks telling and brainwashing our kids to vote Democrat.
As a result, the only way to keep a high GPA is to NOT disrupt the status quo with any conservative idealogies whatsoever.
These kids no longer have a choice but to go along and agree with everything these Liberal Professors keep spewing, or else.
So much for free thinking.

You say they should make up there own mind, then fill the rest of your post with ideology.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Bottom line?...Teach them to THINK and let them decide for themselves...and there are more than those two parties to choose from

I don't think we should teach them to vote republican or democrat. As they both have sold out the American people, I don't know how clearer I can make this????
edit on 23-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, to be frank, we've allowed our schools to teach sex education.
We've allowed our schools to control what punishment is metted out to our children.
We've allowed schools to teach alternative versions of history.

Why not have the schools finish the damned indoctrination?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Originally posted by Indigo5

I don't think we should teach them to vote republican or democrat. As they both have sold out the American people, I don't know how clearer I can make this????
edit on 23-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

And I don't think you do your children justice by "teaching" them to vote how you tell them. Educate them and teach them how to ask questions and find answers and encourage them to "THINK".

That way, if 15 years from now a political party arises who is actually worse than the Dems and GOP, they won't blindly vote for that party.

To TELL them who to vote for (or not) as opposed to teaching them how to THINK just perpetuates ignorance.

Horse to water? Fish for a day? and all of that...and I "dont know how much clearer I can make this????"
edit on 23-4-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Originally posted by Grumble
We are concentrating on teaching good values. I think the rest will follow.

Good values in American politics does not exist.

I would not disagree with this...and yet I feel that the discourse we see in American Politics is still accurate to the values we act upon in society.

They are our reflection.

Garbage in, garbage out.

It is only when society holds itself to a higher standard that we will have a chance to have a majority of higher caliber representatives.

Our culture fosters values of greed, ego-centrism, dominance and "what's-in-it-for-me"-ism...why would our representatives be any different?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finalized
Don't teach them Republican vs. Democrat, teach them critical thinking, logic, history, math and work to instill an independent streak in them. Teach them about liberty and being self-sufficient. Teach them to take care of their family and fellow man. Teach them to not be a leach, but to provide for themselves. Teach them hard work and a sense of accomplishment. Teach them not to bully, but to stand up for themselves. Teach them public speaking. Spend time with them and unplug them from TV, video games. Teach them to read. Teach them to debate.

All else will take care of itself.

edit on 4/23/2012 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

bravo...well said!

If more parents took this approach...we'd have one seriously clever voting base coming up...sadly, we get "My daddy voted Democrat/Republican or(fill in the blank) and that is how I'm gonna vote"....sad....very-very sad.

There are soooo many people that vote against their own self interest it amazes me....but I suppose that is another story.

I spent time teaching my kids "to think" and not allow someone to dictate their thoughts...I won't do so either. I was so tickled when my youngest came back to me excited about her Ron Paul experience...it was a precious moment for us to share....I did not force it on her, she found him on her own and I was so damn tickled by that....I don't know how to describe it here...
edit on 4/23/2012 by Damrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i disagree with most of the posters. children are not just machines, doing exactly what you instruct them. when i vote, i take my elementary child with me. i explain why i voted for one person and not the other. i make my argument, and because i'm human i'm skewed to one ideology as opposed to another. i don't apologize for that. i have a right to think and speak my mind, especially to my child. i've voted republican in some elections and democrat in others. i explain that even a wrong choice is still a choice that all americans have. no matter how you try to indoctrinate your kids, they will learn their own way in the end. you can take your kids to church, doesn't mean that's what they'll become. as in most things in life, integrity and education, or lack thereof, teach and expose who we are to our kids. to answer op directly, i think we should tell our kids how to vote. but the logic and arguments supporting your decision should be filled with discussion and research.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I drudged up a really serious video.....nah...not really...it is good though and reflects how I think we all should feel....

I love Rush....the greatest Canadian export....ever....I teach my children accordingly....maybe you should too...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'd teach my kids to think, and to lead, not to vote for something. I'm thankful that my father did the same for me.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Teach them truth in law since voting is a crime, read Treason by Design: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The truth will set you free.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join