It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My rivals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Why has my profile under 'my rivals' have a another member listed. I have never listed anyone as a rival, and there are only two members who have listed me as their rival, even that is obscure, no matter, as I say, I have not listed any 'my rivals'

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Your cursor might have accidentally lingered over the rival button without you noticing. Someone made me a rival that way once accidentally.
I found out, because a u2u is sent to the recently made rival, and I u2ued her, to see what I did to tick her off, and she didn't know that she had done it.
Total accident.
We're friends now.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You can remove the unintended rival. Just click on the symbol beside it.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
You can remove the unintended rival. Just click on the symbol beside it.

I know that, but I am curious as to the cause, and the rival, (although busy enough by posts) I have no recall of, and there was no feedback.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Could be that you had tried to view their posts, and hit rival by accident. I have done that a few times.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

You see a rival in your profile area when you have clicked somehow on the Make Rival button. As a previous poster suggested, it is right next to or above or below the View Posts button, you probably did it accidentally without noticing. If you see your name in another member's profile area then they may have done the same, possibly accidentally too.
In both cases a U2U is sent to the opposing member unlike when someone makes you their friend. That never gets U2U'd for some reason. Hope it helps.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Rivals? What happened to Respected Foe?

I wouldn't have noticed the change unless it was for this post. I have no rivals. A few have me as their rivals, I assume they were my respected foes before the change. I just laugh at all of those on my rivals list. I think the whole practice is silly and childish. Wanna get laughed at? Make me your Rival. That way I can keep track of all the silly people.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Why has my profile under 'my rivals' have a another member listed. I have never listed anyone as a rival, and there are only two members who have listed me as their rival, even that is obscure, no matter, as I say, I have not listed any 'my rivals'

Hm, that is odd. I'd say It was more than likely an accident as well though. The button to add members as a rival is right below the button to add them as a friend after all so maybe you just added them to the wrong list by mistake and without realizing it.

Either way, on your profile you should see a small, round, red marker to the left of their username - on your friends and rivals list - Click that to remove them.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Here's a post from Skepticoverlord when the change was first made back in 2010:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New Update and Significant Change

The "foe" list was never intended to be a listing of people you don't like. So the core concept has been revised to that of "rivals," or, the ATS members who often disagree with you, but challenge you to think harder and push yourself to learn more in your quest to deny ignorance.

Your profile also now contains a link to list threads started by your rivals. So... if there's anyone on that list you really don't like (for some reason, possibly abusing the core idea of the "foe" concept), you'd be well-advised to review and revise your list of rivals (which contains all your previous foes.)

Hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thanks to all for their help and attention. It's obviously something I have done somehow, I'd better go and De-rival this feller, in case he's packing a piece. Cheers, Smurfy.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I wouldn't have noticed the change unless it was for this post. I have no rivals. A few have me as their rivals, I assume they were my respected foes before the change. I just laugh at all of those on my rivals list. I think the whole practice is silly and childish. Wanna get laughed at? Make me your Rival. That way I can keep track of all the silly people.

What is this about tracking? I may be misunderstanding. Could you please explain the mechanic.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Your cursor might have accidentally lingered over the rival button without you noticing. Someone made me a rival that way once accidentally.
I found out, because a u2u is sent to the recently made rival, and I u2ued her, to see what I did to tick her off, and she didn't know that she had done it.
Total accident.
We're friends now.

Ah............

Thx

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Here's a post from Skepticoverlord when the change was first made back in 2010:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New Update and Significant Change

- Snip -

Hope that helps.

Yeah.. Er.. that does help except when you get the notice in your message box, it still says " so and so has made you a Respected Foe"

I just got one today so I know this is correct. Probably because they saw my above post LOL.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

What is this about tracking? I may be misunderstanding. Could you please explain the mechanic.

Well yes. You can see all the people who have made you their Rival or Respected Foes.. you get a notice about it in your message box. This is just a way of letting me know who the silly people are.. I know their nicks.. I can watch for their posts.. or do a search for their posts, or find all their posts if I choose.. I think if I remember ATS has that option built in someplace. Try clicking on a name then you can see a listing of all their posts.

new topics

top topics

join