It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand religion, because quite frankly it just seems silly to me now....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I do, and I also like to point out religious nonsense.

Like the issues of Jonah and the Whale has half the Christians thinking that was a real thing, when it was all about an adptation of the story of Rising the Dead for the Fishermen that were the Disciples.

Neither one of those is real in the literal sense. But it was an important symbol for the first Christian Church with the Fish, Star of David, and Minorh all blended into the rise into the light symbolism. All the Great Masters like the Symbols for teaching others.

One has to save the higher intelligent ones from being taken in by the sellers of miracles that don't exist.

It is every intelligent person's role in the end times to walk over those that don't understand the language of enlightment and the special allegory symbolism speak used in the narratives.

You can stay horizontal and the rest will learn to walk up right. You chosen your plot, and you won't be part of the Heaven on Earth.

edit on 23-4-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Seeking the light

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I guess the latest bit of logic to laugh at is some suggested that Mary's image was abducted by the Catholics and made too close to that symbolism tied to Semiramis.

If they did that to Mary's memory, then they did the same deal to Jesus memory and turned him likewise into Tammuz.

Seems some just can't help but have this logic that defeats them.

Jesus was as human as anyone else. Just a bunch of religion types that can't seem to let go of the bad ideas in religions. It must be like trying to get a child to stop sucking the thumb for comfort, of some sort. imho

Mary was never protrayed as god, so she can't even become a fake icon of god. She is more like a Saint perhaps, a female Prophet, but really like a female Essene Master in the same sense as Joseph and Jesus. The Essene allowed females to have same roles as males for the Master school training, and the Pythagoras Schools allowed the same.

edit on 23-4-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Someone has to point out the continual nonsense

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
If i made up a perfect image of a father/God like figure in my mind today and made him my deity then wrote a book about him and became so engrossed in my belief that the said figure could be my one salvation from eternal damnation people would look at me funny, they would laugh and tell me I'm a nut-job but in reality how is this any different from belief in any other established religion?

Perhaps a way to answer this question is to present another question. Why would anyone make up the existence of a deity and in so doing creates a religion in the first place? There must be a reason, or some rational explanation why any one or group of individuals would make up such a thing knowing that it would cause them to be looked upon with ridicule and scorn. Life is already complicated and to bring about more trouble without just cause is unrealistic. So then, one could say then that perhaps there was some very compelling reasons for these people to believe in such things. Nowadays, one could say that a new religion or church might have been established for the sole however undisclosed purpose of making money. However, what might compel those in the times of Christ?

If my belief was so strong in this figure i had just made up in my mind one day was so strong that id be willing to do practically anything in his name how would that be any different to any other established religion?

I don't think that one would simply decide one day to believe with 100% conviction that a particular figure is important enough to form a religion around. One would have to have pretty substantial evidence. That is to say of course, that such a figure actually existed in the first place and wasn't a figment of someone's imagination.

Nobody's idea of God is the same, God is an entirely unique perspective based on your own individual personality, What you really believe in is yourself.

There is some definite truth here, in my opinion. To add, not everyone believes in a god or deity. Perspective is definitely in play here but, more for how one believes or disbelieves based on their unique personal experiences and not necessarily based on their personality.

"God" is everything good in you, a lighthouse in the darkness and a light to guide you.
People have many different names for this Light and some who live in darkness don't see it all.
It just seems logical to me that people attach their own belief in themselves to some form of deity in order to reach for something already located within themselves.

While I believe that great strength can be derived by believing in one's self, religious belief insulates the believer from harsh realities and allows them to feel as if a higher power is working in their favor regardless of the outcome. Whether or not that is actually the case, is irrelevant. Additionally, attaching the reference to good and light is unnecessarily distracting. There are religions that believe just the opposite yet, they are followed with no less fervor as those believing in "the light".

The attachment that people put on religion is a very personal one. In my case, and I'm certain for many others, religion was foisted upon me at a very early age. When I was old enough to think for myself in these matters, I began realizing the personal importance of faith but not necessary religion. Religion to me, was confining, confusing, and challenging to understand. Personally, religion and belief is generally illogical and irrational however, it is a necessary construct for the development of faith.

ESV

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

funny you should say that: "now you're in control of your own life" really? then why is your signature: "keep searching, you'll find the truth" ?

the agnostic/ non believer, never has truth, they constantly search and search and they never have control of their life. If you have 100% control you will no longer search. That's like an oxy moron sig imo.

as for the OP: I admire your sincerity, no doubt, but I'll keep this short. We believe in a divine being. A divine being that gave us, emotions, feelings, foods, water, nature, complexity, (orgasms) I only bring that up because it would take an intelligent mind to make a feeling like an orgasm, and yet NOTHING made all this? that IMO is a silly to me, to believe nothing made this.

Keep an open mind OP, that's all i aks.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesuslsTruth

funny you should say that: "now you're in control of your own life" really? then why is your signature: "keep searching, you'll find the truth" ?

the agnostic/ non believer, never has truth, they constantly search and search and they never have control of their life. If you have 100% control you will no longer search. That's like an oxy moron sig imo.

Maybe the "keep searching, you'll find the truth" is a way of saying, "finally got rid of the magically stuff, now i can think logically and find the truth"? or he could even be talking about aliens, idk.

I rather constantly search and find the answer instead of giving up and believing in some 2000yr old men's imagination and manipulation.

Yes for keeping an Open mind, but i rather go with Logic than Magic.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesuslsTruth

as for the OP: I admire your sincerity, no doubt, but I'll keep this short. We believe in a divine being. A divine being that gave us, emotions, feelings, foods, water, nature, complexity, (orgasms) I only bring that up because it would take an intelligent mind to make a feeling like an orgasm, and yet NOTHING made all this? that IMO is a silly to me, to believe nothing made this.

My science you're a Genus! I can't believe you have me all figured out!!!

Well since you obviously must know I did a search-all over the internet and in Scholar libraries for 4 years in Theology studying the existence of religion to find a shred of PROOF Jesus ever existed. Yet there is nothing, so I gave up searching because I found my answer. That message is for other people like yourself. But how can you sir find the truth when you are locked into believing the words of a cult? Keep searching...

BTW that's what you get for not moving along and singling me out and critiquing my signature M*R*N.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Here is some serious help. Make sure you read and understand this page in its entirity and things should make better sense. It is how to know when allegory exists and there are NO miracles:

ebionite.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Funny how someone who born during this time when people supposedly had "rudimentary" knowledge knew things like this, for example..

Revelation 6:14 -
The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

This takes place during the 6th seal, which is to come, not has been passed. It takes place after a great earthquake. How did a lowly fisher/shepherd know that mountains and islands were the same? I don't think there were many deep-sea voyages taken place to find this out 5,000 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join