It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet In July

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Here is a ATS thread that was closed talking about this. I thought I would link to it so those post could be added to this thread seeing as I posted to that thread and did not see a reason to cut and paste that post here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I was making another post there when it was closed.

The question presented there was does this affect Linux/Mac or Windows?

There are three distinct Os's mentioned there. I run Linux (yeah! Mint!). Here was my response....I had it in CnP after the thread was closed.

Originally posted by mytheroy
Is it programmed to affect Linux/Mac users or Windows only?

Simple answer, Windows. The article includes Mac users. Linux users are immune.

It's obvious that the creators of the trojan have (had) both Mac and Doze in their possession. It's the platforms they developed on for their heinous deeds. Why? That is the grievous question. Again, an easy answer.

Mac products are expensive, thus richer victims to steal from. Doze is the standard. That includes the other 90%. It's worth developing the Mac trojan because the payoff is bigger, and the Windows one because it's the simplest. For example, hit the "Start" button on your Windows machine, find the "Run" button off to the right. Type in "cmd" without quotes. Then type in "ipconfig /all", without quotes. Yep, that's your internet configuration there. See those DNS numbers? They are listed as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Those go to your ISP's nameservers. A simple batch file can rewrite those, and many Windows machines are not secured. (Note: a firewall only protects against traffic, not against programs you have running.) You should write those numbers down, the Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS. If you ever find yourself disconnected from the internet, do the above, and see if the numbers match. If they don't you can set them back manually. "Control Panel", "Network", "Properties", click the "manually assign", and type in those numbers you have written down. Hit "apply". Whew, that should re-connect you, but then get rid of the trojan.

Linux is immune. I said that. I don't run any anti-whatever, and there's a reason for that.

I love surfing the interwebs naked. It's freedom.

My OS flows. There's nothing paranoid in the background needlessly scanning for imaginary infected files, saving valuable system processes.

I often think that anti-virus companies were founded by Christians, because they force you to live in fear. You run a virus scan, and hold your breath. Whew, only 138 this time.

The reason Linux is immune? Security. To change anything, you need the system password. Every Linux OS has an individual PW, created by the person that formatted it. A trojan has no way to "guess" that password, so it tries to run the batch file that is designed to do ONE thing to an unsecured system, and fails. Trojans have no password guessing capabilities, only a simple (or complex) payload to deliver.

Am I hackable? Sure, I suppose, nothing is impossible. Am I trojan/virus/malware proof? The proof is in my pudding. To each their own. I prefer not having to run extra software just to have the assurance that my OS is secure, but that's just me.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
after posting and doing some debugging, all is fine, the way the world is today never ever visit a site with out sys protection, downloads are not recommended always run a firewall or other protection/detection program I use MS and spy bot win firewall and an other firewall MS is free and safe for win and XP users Xp is not going to be updated or managed much longer so , if your like me be ready for the next bug to enter your sys. I run this one that was free have no real info on it to be hacked the other is not used unless paying bills or banking.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Mac products are expensive, thus richer victims to steal from. Doze is the standard. That includes the other 90%. It's worth developing the Mac trojan because the payoff is bigger, and the Windows one because it's the simplest

Other way around, you have it backwards.
Windows 90% of the market share= bigger payoff
Mac is the easiest computer to hack and typically the first thing hacked in hacking contests= simplest

The reason Linux is immune? Security.

Immune from THIS. There have been linux viruses and malware the linux crowd just lives in denial about it. With having such a low market share of home computers it is not really worth the time to write malware for such a small group. And before you go on about how most web servers run linux ill just remind you that web servers get hacked ALL THE TIME.
edit on 27-4-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This all sounds pretty suspicious to me, being the suspicious minded person that I am.
Especially when it seems to coincide with what may or may not be a rumor that I read about
ISP's will begin targeting Pirates beginning on July 12.

Several major internet service providers (ISPs) in the US, including Time Warner, Comcast and Verizon, have announced that by 12 July they will begin or will have already launched programs to crack down on peer-to-peer piracy. The initiatives will see participating ISPs use a “graduated response” against alleged pirates, which will begin with a few “educational notices” and potentially end in highly-reduced data speeds or disconnection.

One Source

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I am in Italy, could this happen to my computer???

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Read the article and thought about clicking on the link to get my computer checked but decided not to just in case it is something else that the FBI has set up so it will be able to pick up on your computer and shut it off on July 9th any way

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
SNOPES Verifies this threat to be True

I know most of us have come to terms with this already, just figured I would toss this in here...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yea, I take back my opinion in my previous post, it does seem to be legit. However, im still curious why the FBI got involved in this on our behalf.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join