It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun quadrupolar in May. Pole reversal in 1 month or so, about one year earlier than expected

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Check this out:
Polar Field Reversal as observed with Hinode
Solar poles to become quadrupolar in May

The international research team led by Saku Tsuneta, a professor at NAOJ, has been performing the monthly polar observations with Hinode from September 2008. We here report the discovery that the average magnetic flux of the north polar region is rapidly and steadily decreasing during the period of 2008 and 2012 (Figure B). The reversal (from minus to plus polarity) is taking place in sequence from lower latitude to higher latitude. The average magnetic flux of the polar region soon becomes zero. The estimated completion of the reversal of the north polar region will take place in 1 months or so, about one year earlier than the nominal expected reversal time.

A research team led by Saku Tsuneta, a professor at the observatory, analyzed solar magnetic fields data using Hinode, an observational satellite, and confirmed that the polarity of the magnetic field at the North Pole began to reverse in July last year. The researchers also found the magnetic field at the South Pole, which was expected to reverse along with the North Pole, maintained a positive polarity, ensuring the formation of a quadrupole magnetic field.

edit on 22/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i wonder if this could speed up our magnetic pole reversal as well....magnetic fields do affect one another....or would it be too far

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Please show some mercy for a poor, brain fried bunny this Sunday afternoon. If this happens, as described, what does it mean? DO we see more flares..less flares? Does that actually have a direct effect on Earth the day it happens or after?

I'm just not clear on what a polar shift on the sun actually means in a day to day reality for us here? If I wasn't on ATS to read about it, for instance, what would I see that day to know something happened at all?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

From 2001, the last time this normally happens:

The Sun's magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere just a few months ago, now points south. It's a topsy-turvy situation, but not an unexpected one.

"This always happens around the time of solar maximum," says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The magnetic poles exchange places at the peak of the sunspot cycle. In fact, it's a good indication that Solar Max is really here."

Link

It's about as exciting as your neighbor putting a new coat of paint on his garage door.

The heliosphere doesn't simply wink out of existence when the poles flip -- there are plenty of complex magnetic structures to fill the void.

edit on 22-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm awaiting all the people who have read too many Clive Cussler novels to arrive with their tales of doom and gloom

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hello, have a picture today for you

and no answer for this picture in another thread too :

edit on 22-4-2012 by maritimo69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Here's a vid from duchsinse. He doest say much other than try to explain of a PDF available of the net.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Wow. quadruple pole. That means, two north and two souths, am I right?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
So....
How does this effect me or anyone for that fact?
If the world does not change, no biggie nobody notices.
If the world does cataclysmically change, I still see no worries.
...lol dutchinsenseless.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

I would recommend you either send Phage a u2u or start your own thread. I have seen your picture a few times now and have no idea what it is.

About the pole reversal, this is the first one I will have paid attention to. I never even knew the sun did this until I found ATS. To me it is kinda like hanging out to see an eclipse that you will only get to see a few times in your lifetime. Cool stuff.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Maybe it won't burn you alive at your room directly
but it actually affect everything. It affect Sun's behaviour doesn't it? Solar maximum is coming toward us faster and my nose is telling me it will be extraordinary one. Cooler or hotter. I would prefer hotter.
edit on 22/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This means nothing. We are still here after the last one, the only difference is that ats wasn't around for people to take out their paranoia.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thanks very much for this statement here" It's about as exciting as your neighbor putting a new coat of paint on his garage door. "

Made me laugh and relaxed me a bit too because this is definitely not my area of any kind of knowledge here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
this will cause huge solar storms which will affect earth by activating many volcanoes and causing earthquakes.

it shouldn't cause too much disturbance however, in other words nothing global. and life should function as usual for most people.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

From 2001, the last time this normally happens:

The Sun's magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere just a few months ago, now points south. It's a topsy-turvy situation, but not an unexpected one.

"This always happens around the time of solar maximum," says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The magnetic poles exchange places at the peak of the sunspot cycle. In fact, it's a good indication that Solar Max is really here."
It's about as exciting as your neighbor putting a new coat of paint on his garage door.

Reversal is normal but

The researchers also found the magnetic field at the South Pole, which was expected to reverse along with the North Pole, maintained a positive polarity, ensuring the formation of a quadrupole magnetic field.

I think this cycle was everything but normal and now this.

The current sunspot cycle has stretched for close to 13 years. A similar situation occurred in the 17th to 18th century, when the average temperature of the Northern Hemisphere decreased by 0.6 C. The research team believes the quadrupolar pattern also emerged at that time.

[/reply]

I'm not sure where it leads. I don't like winter and I would hate another mini ice age. Who has any fear or paranoia here btw?
Don't put it unreasonably into any mouth. Maybe impatience and curiosity.

reply to post by swan001

Something like this:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Yes, it covered one of the minor differences in one of the articles you posted. I looked for the original source version online but couldn't find it.

In any case, from your article...

When a similar phenomenon occurred about 300 years ago, the Earth's average temperature fell slightly.

The current sunspot cycle has stretched for close to 13 years. A similar situation occurred in the 17th to 18th century, when the average temperature of the Northern Hemisphere decreased by 0.6 C. The research team believes the quadrupolar pattern also emerged at that time.

A 0.6c change in average temperature is actually quite large in perspective, but not the end of the world.

Source

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

Hard to give you an answer when you don't ask a question. But I'll assume you are asking what is in the pictures. Solar flares, happen all the time, more so during the solar maximum, which is now. Anything else?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yeah, say it to freezing folks on a frozen Thames

I haven't said it will cause end of the world.

Maybe I should to give it some juice

edit on 22/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

So we will have solar maximum at 2012 after all (yikes)

a) The Sun will start some nasty show or

b) This is the peak of pretty weak maximum followed by weird reversal with signs of little ice age scenario and the Sun will lazy come back to spotless state. (goosebumps)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I have a question.............

Has there ever been two North and South Poles on the Sun before?

I understand the "flip" has happened multiple times. That seems to be normal indeed.

But 4 poles? That doesn't sound right, nor does it sound like it's nothing to question.

SN: I can't seem to find any documents about the Sun ever having more than 2 poles.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
I have a question.............

Has there ever been two North and South Poles on the Sun before?

I understand the "flip" has happened multiple times. That seems to be normal indeed.

But 4 poles? That doesn't sound right, nor does it sound like it's nothing to question.

SN: I can't seem to find any documents about the Sun ever having more than 2 poles.

From what I've read, I understand that we don't know of any time it has had four poles before. However, we haven't studied it that long. They postulate that maybe it did 300 years ago when the temp fell by 0.3 degrees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join