It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion, fireball reported in Nevada, California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Astronomers say a loud explosion heard across a large swath of Nevada and California on Sunday morning was likely caused by a meteor.

The sound of the explosion around 8 a.m. prompted a flood of calls to law enforcement agencies on both sides of the Sierra Nevada in the two states.

The explosion rattled windows and shook houses from Reno to Winnemucca in Nevada, and from the Sacramento to Bakersfield areas in California. Some people in the two states reported seeing a fireball streak across the sky at the same time.

Dan Ruby of the Fleischmann Planetarium at the University of Nevada, Reno, says the reports indicate the meteor broke up above Earth somewhere over the Sierra southwest of Reno. There were no reports of earthquakes at the time.

hosted.ap.org...
edit on 22-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's probably just another sonic boom...

2nd

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Dan Ruby of the Fleischmann Planetarium at the University of Nevada, Reno, says the reports indicate the meteor broke up above Earth somewhere over the Sierra southwest of Reno.

Even meteors go to reno to get a divorce.

/endbadhumor

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
A good thread on this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

thx. hadnt seen that.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Dan Ruby of the Fleischmann Planetarium at the University of Nevada, Reno, says the reports indicate the meteor broke up above Earth somewhere over the Sierra southwest of Reno.

Even meteors go to reno to get a divorce.

/endbadhumor
good one

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The freaky thing is ... I just finished watching Battle - Los Angeles ... Same thing happens in that, they say it's meteors but really they were just aliens coming down to Earth

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Sacramento here,....
Nope no boom here, I suggest maybe folks are still recovering from 4-20-2012.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I was looking on youtube to see if anyone had caught it and posted it yet...and didn't find anything from 4/22...but I did find this video...posted 7 days earlier...is it legit? Or maybe just an unrelated incident happening some other time that was used for whatever purpose this video is for? If the latter be the case, then the video is rather pointless, imo....but I did see several equally pointless ones to do with the Lyrid shower as I was searching for an actual witness...

edit on 4/22/2012 by queenannie38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Nice find. Looks like a bright meteor/fireball to me, but probably not related to the Lyrids. Most really big fireballs are not connected to annual meteor showers.

new topics

top topics

join