It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have an insulting question to ask Christians...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So I am Christian myself though I have rejected organized religion, and I am generally politically liberal because of it. It seems rather impossible to me that one can study the teachings of Jesus, actually believe in them, and then be a right-winger.

So here is my question: how can you sit through bible class/Sunday school and the sermons of a man or woman of God and still agree with the Republicans on most issues? By most issues, I mean most of the following: pro-war, pro-accumulation of wealth, anti-social programs, anti-education, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well when it comes to Religon that between you and your maker doesn't matter what anyone else says or tells you what it should be.

Mostly because it is not Governments job to play God every single right we have in this country comes from God

not Government.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
So I am Christian myself though I have rejected organized religion, and I am generally politically liberal because of it. It seems rather impossible to me that one can study the teachings of Jesus, actually believe in them, and then be a right-winger.

So here is my question: how can you sit through bible class/Sunday school and the sermons of a man or woman of God and still agree with the Republicans on most issues? By most issues, I mean most of the following: pro-war, pro-accumulation of wealth, anti-social programs, anti-education, etc.

That's the most loaded question I have ever read...

Pass...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Most of those who claim to be religious only do so for the benefits of it; acceptance amongst peers.

A true follower would know that God's Law is above all other laws.

Thus, in essence, you question contained within it the answer.

No. They cannot, no matter what they say. Its like lesbians who should be banned from using dildos. They made their choice.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

I once left a church because of this issue, not my choice, I went on a rant after one of them suggested it was Christian to Be a republican.

eye of needle, Camel through it, Rich man... Nough said.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Right?! I can't! It hit me when I was in youth group in high school. We were talking about homosexuality and how it's "bad". I raised my hand and asked why we were even bothering judging ANYONE if it's not our job to judge?
I then got a whole speech about how we aren't judging, just pointing out right and wrong. Um WHAT?! Same thing in my book. So that got me thinking. 10 years later, I still think. I believe in the Christian God and Jesus. But in no way shape or form am I ultra conservative. I feel like the right wingers promote a lot of hate. Nothing but agenda pushing.
And in the end, does it REALLY matter what type of lifestyle people lived as long as they weren't hurting themselves or other people? Jesus taught about love and acceptance. Even if you don't view him as the messiah, there is a lot that people can take away from his lessons.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
That's the most loaded question I have ever read...

Pass...

Why is that a loaded question? I am distressed by the number of people who self-identify as Christians but hold political beliefs that are, in my opinion, very much in opposition to the principles of Christ.

I can assure you that most liberals look at the GOP and see a few rich folks manipulating the mass of dumb white people to vote against their interests. Therefore the assumption they make is that being dumb, the poor white Repubs are traditionalists (change is scary to small minds), and since being Christian is traditional, they go though the motions while not understanding the philosophy.

So convince me otherwise. Or explain to me why these assumptions are wrong. I am genuinely interested in your answers.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Grumble because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

American Christians often forget the "Sell all your riches, give it to the poor, and follow me" part, Jesus was a Communist Hippie.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I often refer to myself as a bleeding heart conservative. lol

If one pays close attention to the Bible, Jesus' teaching in particular, they would actually notice the Bible can be VERY liberal in some cases and VERY conservative in others.

For instance, it can be liberal with things like the very accommodating treatment of political aliens being admitted into society while at the same time being very conservative with expecting aliens to fully integrate into society. It can be very liberal with the sharing of wealth while very conservative with the concept of 'If you don't work, you don't eat.' No free handouts. The list goes on and for for various issues facing us today.

I personally do not see the Bible as either democrat/republican or liberal/conservative. People who try to make it one way or the other are putting their political beliefs before their faith. Priorities need to be kept straight, IMO.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Exactly.

And by the way, best avatar EVER.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

By most issues, I mean most of the following: pro-war, pro-accumulation of wealth, anti-social programs, anti-education, etc.

lol what?

Its 'give unto caesar' not 'give unto caesar so that he may fund alternative sources of wind energy and fight back welfare reform.'

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

A human can claim anything they want and pretend to stand behind that for a plethora of reasons too long to list. The ego and fears are huge motivators not to mention the many reasons we deny, hide and bury the things we will not confront. True accountability is a tough way to live for most.

Truth is ...you will know them by their fruits and if you don't see that then perhaps that is where Matthew 7:23 speaks volumes.

"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity".

After all the first 3 1/2 years of the tribulation have a focus directed at left behind Christians who...........lived too much in and of the world and were decieved.

People are masters at spewing forth sweet sounding words to convince the world of anything they want..........means nothing without seeing every part of their lives aligned to their claims if there is any merit worthy of their speak.

Unless you cling to HIM for all things, then surely you will be deceived.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2012 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Yep, Jesus came out in the Defense of an Adulterer, sounds pretty liberal for the time .

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Based on the attitudes, actions, and stance of the typical right-winger, if the character whom we call Jesus were to come here in disguise, your typical right-wingers of today would treat him so poorly that he would wish to be back in times of old.

If the Jesus character was forced to choose one of the two evils of politics (Right-wingers or Lefties), he would, without a shred of doubt, be among the left. Based upon HIS character and how it aligns near perfectly with the Left, this is CLEARLY what his choice of the two evils would be. The Right stands for EVERYTHING OPPOSITE that the Jesus character stood for!!

Yet the huge majority of Christians somehow ridiculously choose to align themselves politically with the Right!!! The DEVILS in politics on the Right DEPEND on the foolishness of the religious to get votes. That is one of their aces-up-their-sleeves to get a portion of the votes from the lower-classes of society whom the Right COMPLETELY works against.

Religious people are so awfully delusional that it pitiful at best. [color=gold]*FACEPALM*
HYPOCRITES. Mindless tools.

edit on 22-4-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Just out of curiosity, have you heard what that phrase means? From what I understand, it's not talking about a literal sewing needle. There was a place in some city that had a passage way called "The Eye of the Needle" and the only way for a camel to get through it was for it to crawl through it. It was difficult, but it could be done.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Conflating jesus with modern (american) conservatives or liberals is just so silly. Its worse than when people get into arguments over who the 'real fascists' are. Just because you consider yourself 'progressive' by 2013 standards doesn't mean you can stake a claim to all ideas that actually proved progressive in all of history.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

By most issues, I mean most of the following: pro-war, pro-accumulation of wealth, anti-social programs, anti-education, etc.

lol what?

Its 'give unto caesar' not 'give unto caesar so that he may fund alternative sources of wind energy and fight back welfare reform.'

Yet it is "give unto Caesar." No exceptions.

And regardless, I am referring to the higher principles. On the subject of welfare, for example, I think we need to massively reform our system, eliminate many perverse incentives, and aggressively fight fraud. But those that are in need should be provided for. The GOP wants to cut funding, period. No talk of reform, just the reduction of aid. Is that what Jesus would support?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Looked at my Bible, don't see anything about welfare. And btw, you're grossly generalizing the GOP's position on welfare. Limiting the amount of time someone can stay on welfare, it could be argued, is either 'flatly reducing benefits' or 'eliminating a perverse incentive' to stay on for longer than you should. Nobody wants to see poor people in the street starving, its a question of how to provide.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The closest thing to 'welfare' in the New Testament I know of is when funds were distributed to those who could not work or whose employment was not enough. They also had a widow's fund.

Those who were able to work but simply didn't want to were not accepted. Paul also wrote a letter about it and used himself as an example that even when he did his missionary work, he did not take handouts but worked to earn his keep. The statement I quoted above is also from the Bible that if a man will not work, he will not eat.

But there were safety nets there to take care of the poor, sick, elderly, and widows. It just wasn't allowed to be taken advantage of.

Again, a mix of liberal and conservative attitudes.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanaticits a question of how to provide.

That does not appear to be the question that the GOP wants to debate. What I hear are arguments against the very concept of income redistribution combined with attempts to use the tax coded to make the rich even richer and the poor even poorer. Can you imagine a Republican presidential candidate saying to the voters, "We need to use our tax dollars to continue to support those who really need help."?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join