It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 2 New College Graduates Are Jobless or Underemployed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by brill

Yeah.. something about sitting in a cubicle staring at a grey wall with cheesy motivational posters and 8 bosses telling you the same thing for 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week in an environment that stifles individualism, creativeness and openness .... just doesn't appeal to people anymore?
OMG THOSE LAZY KIDS!

God forbid people want to enjoy life.

Perhaps but in this economy beggars can't be choosers. Lots of folks would like the fringe benefits at work, who would deny that. To me its a culture of entitlement at times versus dealing with hard reality.

brill

Maybe some kids are like that these days, but you're missing out on how bad this is. I was a manager for food lion. I ran the Frozen and Dairy departments by myself, with one worker who was allowed up to 20 hours per week. I was obnly at 30 hours myself.

You think a lazy person can pull that off for a year? Doing all the orders, truck unloading, price changing, displays.. Stocking...

Well, I had to quit that job to go to school since it's morning hours only. After that I have been looking for a job for about a year now. Anything inlcuding McDonalds gets 100's of applications for one crap job opening. It's not us hoping for good pay. Some of us are used to working for Bulls hit pay. The most I've ever made was $10.00 an hour as a manager at another store. A new store opened and 1700 people applied there at a small "5 guys" place. I think they hired about 12 people... You do the math...

I work my azz off way harder than some of you old people. Seems like you are the lazy people living in lala land not us.

And no I'm not on benefits. I have some money saved up. Barely surviving, and I'll probably be homeless sometime this year.

It's not poor people crashing this economy, It's old good for nothing lazy people, who think they know what hard work is, but they had it EASY. Thanks guys, you really screwed the "kids" over on this one. Wonder what we can leave our kids. I shudder to think.

To Reiterate: There are "lazy kids" all over my town looking for work, even some hanging out with mexicans to try and get some yard work. That's a trick I learned when I was homeless once.
Anyway.
THERE ARE NO JOBS...

Quit feeling like this problem isn't yours if you have made money in your day, and you're still doing good. You DO NOT know how bad it's gotten. You Do NOT know what it's like having worked for 8 years and you can't even get a wendys job asking for $8.00 an hour.

I will gladly switch places with anyone making $20,000 a year, and work twice as hard as them. BUT I do not have that option. I Just Don't. I have no options. You guys are going to see some crazy things happen. You have no idea how desperate my generation is getting. We have no where to go.

I moved out when I was 18 and never went back.
I worked my azz off and payed my own way since I was 16.
I joined the ARMY and served our Nation.
I have nothing to show for it save some scars and a top notch cynicism that can't be beat. WEEEE!!!

edit on 4/24/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

My heart goes out to you for your pain and suffering.

But please, do not and NEVER subscribe to the BS that the elite's social engineers are attempting to foister upon you - To view others whom will not work long hours or suffered as you stupidly at low wage did as 'lazy'. while the elites chase champage nights and cavair dreams.

Fact is, humans ARE NOT robots, nor are slaves. There is only so much we can do, and so much that we need, and we must NEVER forget to live and love, or mankind will end.

Wages have to be sustainable. There are jobs avaliable, but only the elites had out resourced amercian made tech unconsiounably to foreign slaves and nations, slave wages and slavery an unbowing american will never be. The elites had forgotten their responsibilities to society, the society that had nurtured them through the years. They could not have afforded the social expenditure such as health, education, security, infrastructure, etc, on their own. But where profits are concern, they say to hell with citizens and obligation. Personal wealth is god.

It need not be this way. You are a free american. Thousands of founding fathers, from the brilliant generals to the valorious foot soldiers, sacrificed their lives so that you this generation may life and love responsibly free. End your bitterness against your own kind, but target at the elites, their supporters and their puppets that are dooming you and the next generations of innocents.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Dustytoad

My heart goes out to you for your pain and suffering.

But please, do not and NEVER subscribe to the BS that the elite's social engineers are attempting to foister upon you - To view others whom will not work long hours or suffered as you stupidly at low wage did as 'lazy'. while the elites chase champage nights and cavair dreams.

Fact is, humans ARE NOT robots, nor are slaves. There is only so much we can do, and so much that we need, and we must NEVER forget to live and love, or mankind will end.

No, I do not view others in this light. I am actually of the view that you should be able to live. We should be able to live without being in debt from life itself. Anyway...

I was just being an example to show those who would judge others as lazy that it just isn't true.

THERE ARE NO JOBS.

that's all.

I grew up with hippy parents that tought me about starving people in the world.

So obviously I learned Hard Work the Hard way... But my point was that hard work is NOT the problem/solution. Society is broken.

Do you get it? **We are in agreement**

Kind of like this:
I saw some posts above mine talking about how these people(with no jobs) should have worked like me.
I worked hard, and I got ahead... I GOT AHEAD... ...they say...

ahead of what? Ahead of people who do not deserve work? Does this not sound broken to anybody? We should be helping each other come out of the darkness of unconsciousness unto this world to live and contribute to society. But you guys are content with "getting ahead." of your fellow humans... Gah... Do the math... It doesn't work out by the way....

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No jobs, you say?

Just look at the recent Apple news. With its IMPROVEMENT over current tech, it reaped profits of $900 millions. Those engineers were american whom improved upon american tech, use slaves, sold at a high price and profited immensely.

Even the chinese slaves, long known to forgo life and love for the dollar, are not taking it lying down. And yet you willingly accept the elite scoundrels of their lies and scams over globalization, temptatous easy fake loans and free trade instead of fair trade?

have you lost your dignity as a fellow humankind?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

honestly can't tell which of that was sarcasm and which wasn't... (all of it it would seem to me)

And I thought I was the SAME humankind.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

BS (lol, catch my pun)

Of the 1,601,000 bachelor’s degrees conferred in 2008–09, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (348,000); social sciences and history (169,000); health sciences (120,000); and education (102,000). At the master’s degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of education (179,000) and business (168,000). At the doctor’s degree level, the greatest number of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related clinical sciences (12,100); education (9,000); engineering (7,900); biological and biomedical sciences (7,000); psychology (5,500); and physical sciences (5,000).

Number one is Business. The Liberal Arts such as English and Music (and other low value disgusting hippy studies) are not the most pursued degrees. It's not what these kids studied that makes them uneployed. There really are just no jobs.

As for the STEM degrees. The problem with everyone getting one of these is the amount of jobs is less than the number of graduates you would get if everyone pursued them. People in these fields would see their pay go down as more bodies were added to the employee pool. Eventually they would be unable to find employment as well.
edit on 24-4-2012 by antonia because: added something

nces.ed.gov...
edit on 24-4-2012 by antonia because: forgot my link.

edit on 24-4-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yup...

BSEE (Electrical Engineer)

Working as a technician.

Seems like unless you are at brand X doing the exact job they are hiring for, no one wants to talk to you. The tech job I have now I did years ago, so they deem me qualified.

Oh well, keep trying. Damn HR weenies...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There's another statistic you need to look at...
how many people who earn $60 thousand+ have a college degree?
And how many people who earn less than $60 thousand have a college degree?

Yes, the job market is crappy right now, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a college degree. You should get a college degree, in the long run, it will help you a ton.
and for further reasons why you should go to college, watch the "flipadelphia" episode of it's always sunny

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Yup...

BSEE (Electrical Engineer)

Working as a technician.

Seems like unless you are at brand X doing the exact job they are hiring for, no one wants to talk to you. The tech job I have now I did years ago, so they deem me qualified.

Oh well, keep trying. Damn HR weenies...

If you graduate from DeVry University, you would get a better job.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Science is currently dead an empty unless you happen to get a 4.0 GPA and work for a leading researcher.

All that hard work for nothing.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

What was your major?

Maybe you should get a graduate degree in a different field?

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
My dad worked hard and got ahead too, but even he admits that he never competed with the population of third world countries for his jobs. The truth is that American boomers rode a wave of prosperity coming out of a world ravaged by war. We were prosperous because there was no legitimate competition, anywhere.

That world is gone now. I am working on my degree again after 3 jobs with the biggest companies in the world went overseas, starting in 2003. It's not about "lazy." The people who entered the workforce in the late 70's were not magically better people with a greater work ethic. They were insulated from the rest of the worlds problems and people by a combination of protectionist regulations and a "the last man standing" reality that no longer exists. Their children, and our children have struggled to keep pace, but we cannot compete on price with jobs that pay 10 / hr in a world of 400% inflation of food, energy, housing and medicine, since 1986.

And between the X'ers, the Y's and the millennial's -- there are more of us then there are "entitled" retiring boomers. Expect a reckoning.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

What was your major?

Oh please, and go over a 100 grand in debt? More education isn't going to solve the problem (unless he decides to be a doctor, good luck with that about a quarter of a million for that kind of an education).

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

What was your major?

Oh please, and go over a 100 grand in debt? More education isn't going to solve the problem (unless he decides to be a doctor, good luck with that about a quarter of a million for that kind of an education).

Some career paths are doing well.

A Pharmacist makes $80,000 a year to start and they throw in a sign on bonus.

When you graduate from DeVry University they have great placement numbers.

A degree in chemistry would also work well.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Apple and Facebook are hiring.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
My dad worked hard and got ahead too, but even he admits that he never competed with the population of third world countries for his jobs. The truth is that American boomers rode a wave of prosperity coming out of a world ravaged by war. We were prosperous because there was no legitimate competition, anywhere.

That world is gone now. I am working on my degree again after 3 jobs with the biggest companies in the world went overseas, starting in 2003. It's not about "lazy." The people who entered the workforce in the late 70's were not magically better people with a greater work ethic. They were insulated from the rest of the worlds problems and people by a combination of protectionist regulations and a "the last man standing" reality that no longer exists. Their children, and our children have struggled to keep pace, but we cannot compete on price with jobs that pay 10 / hr in a world of 400% inflation of food, energy, housing and medicine, since 1986.

And between the X'ers, the Y's and the millennial's -- there are more of us then there are "entitled" retiring boomers. Expect a reckoning.

You could also start up your own company.

Mark Zuckerberg did it.

He got $19,000 in start up capital from Eduardo Saverin.

Watch the movie Social Network. It's an outstanding example of Free Market Capitalism.

No government funding required. They instead got $500,000 from a Venture Capitalist

Peter Thiel.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well I graduated with a business degree after having a long drawn out conversation with a cadaver who decided that the medical field was probably not for me.

I focused on retailing and the consumer sciences and it still took me 4 months to get an 11.00 an hour job.

I work sales at major retailer and most of the people getting hired on with me are 35-50 years old and have serious sales experience owning their own businesses (one guy was a high level accounting manager at Bear Sterns).

The competition for jobs is intense and once people actually get a job they are terrified of loosing it. There are so many applicants that the entire sales floor is totally expendable and people have been getting fired left and right which only makes work more stressful and cut-throat than the day before.

The unemployment rate has many more effects on those lucky enough to have work and those still looking for a shot.

Peace and best wishes to those still out looking for jobs.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Some career paths are doing well.

A Pharmacist makes $80,000 a year to start and they throw in a sign on bonus.

Do you know how much it costs to do that? We are talking about people who already in debt and you are turning around telling them to go into more debt. Very intelligent.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

How do you know I did not?

Actually i have a really great job. But, technically,I am one of the under employed. Took a little paycut after being laid off, no bad, doing ok.

I actually train quite a few Devry grads. But I don't see where they have an edge over other schools.

Everyone starts at the same place after school, read about it, never done it. They all need additional training. And these days few companies will train people.

They want people who are already doing the same job at the competition. They want to hire people away. Out of work for a long time, forget about it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here is another article along the same lines guys. Posted by some guy at BuzzFeed.com, with colorful charts and graphs. I really don't think people in America get it yet, colleges are just there to profit, college education is being so devalued in America. The huge push for every high school graduate to obtain some sort of college is education is already have adverse economic effective and will continue to do so in the future once the bubble pops.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
reply to post by Eurisko2012

How do you know I did not?

Actually i have a really great job. But, technically,I am one of the under employed. Took a little paycut after being laid off, no bad, doing ok.

I actually train quite a few Devry grads. But I don't see where they have an edge over other schools.

Everyone starts at the same place after school, read about it, never done it. They all need additional training. And these days few companies will train people.

They want people who are already doing the same job at the competition. They want to hire people away. Out of work for a long time, forget about it.

Well, it actually makes sense to - poach - from another company.

You already know they can do the job.

There was quite a mess going on with Apple & Google.

They kept stealing each others employees.

Eventually, both Apple & Google had to sign an agreement to STOP poaching

employees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join