It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do they call it "Department of DEFENSE" ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Two articles from the same newspaper, same day, same page, and this article is positioned adjacently to the Truman-merger article I posted above. Notice how the articles are both written to address the same topic from different perspectives.

On one side there is the article about Truman's military merger "unification plan" while the other article is written by a news pundit about the post-war syndrome of corporate control of the economy.

See the original newspaper pages here:

news.google.com...,3956294&dq=secretary+of+war+truman&hl=en

Back in the days when newspapers still reported such things. Nice post.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by starchild10
Because Americans never learned to spell properly?
All Brits know it should be DEFENCE!

lol - I'm actually a Brit, living in Canada, who would spell it DEFENCE. I was pandering to my expected audience !

Damn Brits! Spelling Snobs!

Regardless, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather do 2 things with: Drinking and Fighting!

Brits and Canadians. Drinkers and Fighters. lol.

Canada - never had any standing army to speak of, and we've never lost a major war. You do the math.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The USA couldn't defend itself from Canada in the war of 1812 either.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
reply to post by nahahh

Sure we could if our forces weren't ordered to stand down, our leadership wasn't compromised and money hadn't ruled our politicians.
That would have been our covert protective elements.Usually you never see it.Do you really think there have been no attempts to hit the US with WMDs?,or further attacks?

Of course, but the agencies stopping those attacks would be intelligence agencies, not the United States military.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
reply to post by nahahh

Sure we could if our forces weren't ordered to stand down, our leadership wasn't compromised and money hadn't ruled our politicians.
That would have been our covert protective elements.Usually you never see it.Do you really think there have been no attempts to hit the US with WMDs?,or further attacks?

Of course, but the agencies stopping those attacks would be civilian intelligence agencies, not the United States military.
edit on 22-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

ATTACKING far smaller defenseless countries at random to steal their resources is Defense. And of course, it is always for "humanitarian" reasons. So: Mass Murder is Humanitarian.

The continental US has never been invaded by anyone except..........

Our "closest ally", England.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

its sort of like assisted suicide when you think of it.

that was real popular some years ago...i wonder why people are bothered by it at the national level.

just think of the DOD as the Jack Kevorkian of Government.
edit on 22-4-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

But I thought the "War department" was your wife?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by demongoat

Why isn't it called "Department of OFFENSE"?

It seems to me that almost all US military action is overseas, hardly in "Defense of The Realm".

Most US military action is taken under the guise of "we need to do this for National Security purposes" but in reality, most military action taken is Offensive in nature, not defensive.

I know the old adage "the best defence is a good offense" but really, why not just call it like it is?

because we tend to go to war in the defense of our own country, and most of our military is reserved for our defense when not at war.

Please show me a time when the US military, based in the United States, defended the United States from a foreign attack.

The US military has been used inside the United States primarily to deal with US population issues and uprisings, never in defense of the country from a foreign invader.

The only times the US were actually attacked in the last 100 years, (Pearl Harbor and 9/11), the US military were woefully inadequate in defense of the United States. The Cuban missile crisis was resolved by back channel politicians, not through a show of military defense.
edit on 22-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

You do realize there are bases in the US that fall under the DoD thats sole purpose is US DEFENSE?!
You think USAF Space Command is all about things in space or UFOs and aliens?
You realize they are our FIRST line of defense??

W/out them, we could be attacked in seconds.....
edit on April 22nd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Siberbat

But I thought the "War department" was your wife?

Oh yes she is....and you don't mess with the war department. lol

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Relevance of your last two statements? You just trolling for stars or looking to degrade this thread until the mods censor all of our comments?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

How could the USA be attacked in seconds?
The invasion of any american (the continent) country
would be very difficult logistically speaking.
And the USA with an armed population would be last place anybody would invade.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Why isn't it called "Department of OFFENSE"?

Because they have to defend themselves when they are attacked while invading other countries.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dembow

How could the USA be attacked in seconds?
The invasion of any american (the continent) country
would be very difficult logistically speaking.
And the USA with an armed population would be last place anybody would invade.

Is the only means of attacking someone via ground troops?

Think about it......

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Why do they it No Child Left Behind? Why do they call it Patriot Act? Why do they call it Clean Air Act? Why did the President win a Nobel Peace Prize yet is entangled in 3+ wars? Up is down in this world my friend.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Of course not.

Via air, land or sea, the USA is well protected by sheer logicstics. Even without the huge military, any potential attacker would think twice.

Unconvetional attacks are on a different league.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nahahh

Originally posted by GmoS719

While the Department of Defense DOES play on the offensive.
It does a lot for the defense of our country as well.
I don't agree with EVERYTHING the military does but imagine our country without a defense.
I wouldn't want to live in a country that couldn't defend itself.

Dont you already live in that country??? The U.S. couldn't defend itself on 9-11. Where was the D-Fense (clap, clap, clap) that day?

This is what I've been wondering. ThE USA couldn't defend itself on 9/11, or when Pearl Harbor was attacked, and these have been the only two instances on US being attacked on their own soil in the last 100 years.

The USA spends more on its military than the next five largest military spending nations combined, and couldn't defend themselves from three - five (depending on who you talk to) CIVILIAN airplanes, the only time the mainland has been attacked by a foreign force? The planes that WERE bought down on 9-11 weren't bought down by military action, but by the action of CIVILIANS on board those very planes.

And the reason given for such a massive presence of their own military inside their own borders is "national defense"?

And the average American accepts this explanation? WOW.

Well putting any conspiracies aside; both 9/11 and 12/7 were "sneak attacks". Despite failure in intelligence and information decimination. No one was ready to shoot back.

Typically, the US armed forces and it's bases are not, "locked and loaded and ready to rock" 24/7. Most weapons, ammo, and munitions are locked up tight. From rifles and bullets to fighters with air to air missiles. At any given moment there are very few people ready to "fight". This is done primarily for safety, and also for cost. Keeping weapons loaded, fuel in fighters, engines running costs MONEY. I could be wrong on this, but I am going to guess that typically there are probably less then 60 fighters planes on ready alert actually ready to fly with weapons loaded . And most of these are national guard. Within 30 minutes another 100 or so could probably be ready, but for the airspace that the US has that's still not much. Most of our aircraft require several hours in maintennce or check up for every hour of flight. Now, start raising alert levels, that's different.

The US typically also does not deploy SAMs like many countries do. Nor does our army actively patrol our borders. When not depolyed, they typically train, and often on simulators of various types, to save money, and wear and tear on the machines.

The big exception would be NORAD and the ICBM/SLBM force. We CAN respond pretty darn quick to an incoming nuclear attack, if made by missile's and bombers. But that's technically reactive, and not defensive.

edit on 23-4-2012 by SrWingCommander because: grammer

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Its all about Orwellian double speak.

War is Peace...
Slavery is Freedom...
Ignorance is Knowledge...

Ministry of "Truth"
Ministry of "Plenty"
Ministry of "Love"
And most pertinent, the Ministry of "Peace".

TPTB take pages straight out of 1984, and other books on the subject matter. Is it any wonder that for all reasonable consideration, the department of "Defense" has almost nothing to do with actual defense, and everything to do with its exact opposite, offense?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Short answer...for PR purposes.

Up until the Civil War...maybe a little while after that?...It was called the Department of War.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Its all about Orwellian double speak.

War is Peace...
Slavery is Freedom...
Ignorance is Knowledge...

Ministry of "Truth"
Ministry of "Plenty"
Ministry of "Love"
And most pertinent, the Ministry of "Peace".

TPTB take pages straight out of 1984, and other books on the subject matter. Is it any wonder that for all reasonable consideration, the department of "Defense" has almost nothing to do with actual defense, and everything to do with its exact opposite, offense?

That is what I have always thought. When you are asking for tax money to fund war projects it sounds much better. Remember the US had just gotten out of WWII and our citizens were still isolationists so it played better to the average American.

I wonder what the public would say if we really spent 50 percent of the budget on the "War Department"? However, now we actually have a national gestabo protecting our "homeland"!

DHS is a nationalist neocon wet dream on the path to total fascism.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join