It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do they call it "Department of DEFENSE" ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Why isn't it called "Department of OFFENSE"?

It seems to me that almost all US military action is overseas, hardly in "Defense of The Realm".

Most US military action is taken under the guise of "we need to do this for National Security purposes" but in reality, most military action taken is Offensive in nature, not defensive.

I know the old adage "the best defence is a good offense" but really, why not just call it like it is?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

While the Department of Defense DOES play on the offensive.
It does a lot for the defense of our country as well.
I don't agree with EVERYTHING the military does but imagine our country without a defense.
I wouldn't want to live in a country that couldn't defend itself.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

It seems to me that almost all US military action is overseas, hardly in "Defense of The Realm".

Most US military action is taken under the guise of "we need to do this for National Security purposes" but in reality, most military action taken is Offensive in nature, not defensive.

I know the old adage "the best defence is a good offense" but really, why not just call it like it is?

because we tend to go to war in the defense of our own country, and most of our military is reserved for our defense when not at war.

link   
Probably the same reason whey in the US we have Air Force Bases, while outside the US they are just Air Bases.

link   
Our military may take your comments as having offensive intentions. They might try to defend themselves.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Our military may take your comments as having offensive intentions. They might try to defend themselves.

with nuclear missiles i bet!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by demongoat

because we tend to go to war in the defense of our own country, and most of our military is reserved for our defense when not at war.

Please show me a time when the US military, based in the United States, defended the United States from a foreign attack.

The US military has been used inside the United States primarily to deal with US population issues and uprisings, never in defense of the country from a foreign invader.

The only times the US were actually attacked in the last 100 years, (Pearl Harbor and 9/11), the US military were woefully inadequate in defense of the United States. The Cuban missile crisis was resolved by back channel politicians, not through a show of military defense.
edit on 22-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Up until 1949 it was the War Department.

Truman, in an effort to unify the varying departments after WWII, established a Secretary of Defense who would subsequently oversee the Department of Defense.

Likely a PR type move, as we were heading into the Cold War and anti-communism was high.

Department of Defense to defend against communist Russia.
Department of Homeland Security to secure the homeland against terrorists.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I don't agree with EVERYTHING the military does but imagine our country without a defense.

Dont you already live in that country??? The U.S. couldn't defend itself on 9-11. Where was the D-Fense (clap, clap, clap) that day?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We should call these departments what they really are. The Department of Defense should revert back to the War Department. The Department of Homeland Security??? Well those guys we can call The Geheime Staatspolizei (German for Secret State Police, abbreviated “Gestapo”).

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nahahh

Sure we could if our forces weren't ordered to stand down, our leadership wasn't compromised and money hadn't ruled our politicians.
That would have been our covert protective elements.Usually you never see it.Do you really think there have been no attempts to hit the US with WMDs?,or further attacks?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Because our govt and military functions much like the Sith, insidious and duplicitous. TPTB managed to seize control this nation with maneuvers like this. Like someone posted above, changing it from the War Department. The National Security Agency...uses words like National and Security. Could anyone think of anything more ironic and disingenuous? It's a play on words to deceive us. Department of Homeland Security...translation "We own you, your property, and there's nothing you can do about it." Department of Defense, Central Intelligence, Defense Intelligence, all of these agencies and their agendas depend on our ignorance and feelings of well-being.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Probably changed like how the War on Terror was renamed to Man Caused Disasters.

Second.
edit on 22-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Because Americans never learned to spell properly?
All Brits know it should be DEFENCE!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
it was once called the Department of War.

and the civilian that ran it was called the Secretary of War.

i think its an attempt at image management.

but people are idiots and don't realize people are pulling their punches and trying to be nice.

only after their homes have been turned into a crater so big that it can be seen from space do they think they should manage their behavior and watch their mouths.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Up until 1949 it was the War Department.

Truman, in an effort to unify the varying departments after WWII, established a Secretary of Defense who would subsequently oversee the Department of Defense.

Likely a PR type move, as we were heading into the Cold War and anti-communism was high.

Department of Defense to defend against communist Russia.
Department of Homeland Security to secure the homeland against terrorists.

This was Truman's post-war American government merger plan. His actions are like the CEO of a corporation.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

lol - I'm actually a Brit, living in Canada, who would spell it DEFENCE. I was pandering to my expected audience !

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Two articles from the same newspaper, same day, same page, and this article is positioned adjacently to the Truman-merger article I posted above. Notice how the articles are both written to address the same topic from different perspectives.

On one side there is the article about Truman's military merger "unification plan" while the other article is written by a news pundit about the post-war syndrome of corporate control of the economy.

See the original newspaper pages here:

news.google.com...,3956294&dq=secretary+of+war+truman&hl=en

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahahh

Originally posted by GmoS719

Dont you already live in that country??? The U.S. couldn't defend itself on 9-11. Where was the D-Fense (clap, clap, clap) that day?

This is what I've been wondering. ThE USA couldn't defend itself on 9/11, or when Pearl Harbor was attacked, and these have been the only two instances on US being attacked on their own soil in the last 100 years.

The USA spends more on its military than the next five largest military spending nations combined, and couldn't defend themselves from three - five (depending on who you talk to) CIVILIAN airplanes, the only time the mainland has been attacked by a foreign force? The planes that WERE bought down on 9-11 weren't bought down by military action, but by the action of CIVILIANS on board those very planes.

And the reason given for such a massive presence of their own military inside their own borders is "national defense"?

And the average American accepts this explanation? WOW.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

lol - I'm actually a Brit, living in Canada, who would spell it DEFENCE. I was pandering to my expected audience !

Damn Brits! Spelling Snobs!

Regardless, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather do 2 things with: Drinking and Fighting!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join