It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING - Possible Meteor Impact Northern Nevada

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by salamanda

I'm going to side with logic here. I've driven down 395 too many times to see things that seem "logical."

Groom Lake is illogical anyway ya dice it. The pilots out there are pretty well trained.

I can't beleive I didn't hear an "event" in my own backyard.

And yes, they sprayed yesterday morning. Now they're not.

I'm going to go watch waterfalls if anyone wants to meet me. I'll be up on the other side of Fallen Leaf hiking towards Lily. You know where that is. I'll be the old doode with 2 Labs.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by salamanda

That was actually my first thought - that some sort of in-flight emergency caused the non-standard descent and approach. The shuttle performed a similar "S-turn" on approach if needed to bleed off extra velocity.

Or, if it were an RPV, it could have been a navigational glitch which caused the manuever. Whichever, it's interesting. The NORAD initial estimate of the impact point (near Kingsbury Grade in Nevada) caught my attention because I used to live in Gardnerville and still have friends in the area.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Everything is a meteor impact

because the msm said so

What if ...

most meteor dont survive entry in earth atmosphere
thor hammer would survive

(posted because Avengers movie coming soon
)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
whoa.... now... i just had a dream about this last night and i just herd it on the HLN .. meteor falling threw the sky and making loud booms ...!

last night i had a dream . i was sleeping on the couch (which i was ) .. and in the dream.. something woke me up and i looked out the window and saw this big green meteor falling from the sky slowly (like i was in slow motion) ... then

it just blew up in mid flight shook the house and i fell off the couch on my butt ....so i ran out side ..
then i noticed a dozen or so more kept coming one after another boom .....boom .......booom then thats were i woke up sweating

now im up and watching a smaller story on the news about it ...crazy never had a dream unfold on the news

could this be a warning ... the last dream i had was heartbreaking and it came true . since then i havnt had a dream since last night

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose
Guess who's hiking around kingsbury grade tommorow?

Coordinates would be amazing if anyone gets them.

Just be sure to be careful should you happen upon a meteor that is leaking green ooze out of it because should you touch it bare handed.....well it didn't end all too well for Stephen King, I'm just sayin

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

see some else has seen creepshow! agree! do not, under any circumstances, youch the green ooze coming from any meteors!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
From Spaceweather.com:

The energy is estimated at a whopping 3.8 kilotons of TNT (about one fourth the energy of the 'Little Boy' bomb dropped on Hiroshima), so this was a big event," he continues. "I am not saying there was a 3.8 kiloton explosion on the ground in California. I am saying that the meteor possessed this amount of energy before it broke apart in the atmosphere. [The map] shows the location of the atmospheric breakup, not impact with the ground."

"The fact that sonic booms were heard indicates that this meteor penetrated very low in atmosphere, which implies a speed less than 15 km/s (33,500 mph). Assuming this value for the speed, I get a mass for the meteor of around 70 metric tons. Hazarding a further guess at the density of 3 grams per cubic centimeter (solid rock), I calculate a size of about 3-4 meters, or about the size of a minivan."

I think on spaceweather.com they have a page that tracks satellites and the X37b.. If they can no longer track it, or its no longer found up there, then it would add weight to it being the spy shuttle, and not a rock... And that shuttle IS about the size of a mini-van.... lol.

Anyone that can dig up some info on this, and see if any astronomers can still find it would be cool..
edit on 4/23/2012 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I never saw or heard anything..

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
whoa.... now... i just had a dream about this last night and i just herd it on the HLN .. meteor falling threw the sky and making loud booms ...!

Are you sure you didn't have the T.V. on heard it in the background while you were sleeping?
THEN dreamed it?

I've actually done that. I think I'm dreaming,which I am, only to wake up and discover my dream was playing out with the subject on television. I think I woke up getting my wallet out for a shammy wow. I can't remember.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's weird, only 6 pages of comments, yet this thread has been on the main page for more than 24 hours.I haven't heard any official information about it. Maybe it never hit the ground?

I had a dream about everybody having dreams about meteors hitting earth.I hate people who say they are prophets because they think they're holier than thou. Cut the crap,fellow human.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am a new member from the uk. So im not sure if there is any way to.make a direct link to the another post hoever i think that you should have a look at another post on ATS search Blasting sound heard around coventryand you will see what i meen

A few weeks ago not sure when exactly there was a loud boom heard over a large area of the uk. The goverment have palmed this of as fighter jets but the details they have given are very vague and im not convinced. Everybody I have spoken to saw nothing however so cannt say for sure there was any impact

Im going to continue looking for any more occurences like this in different countries recently because i think this could be a worldwide phenomenon

Have a look see what you think

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So far we really seem to be grasping at straws.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuvSpace

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Meteor?? nonsense
it is one of the autobots

Huh? What's an autobot?

If you don't know what an autobot is then you really must have deserved to get banned from ATS in only 8 posts.

Congrats!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, here are three pics of the actual event.
Someone was on the ball for a change. It would have looked amazing at night.
But it was around 8am...

www.rgj.com...

Here, she tells the story
www.rgj.com...|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE
edit on 23-4-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Beautiful pictures, good find

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by all6ixes
So far we really seem to be grasping at straws.

It was a meteor, there are photos of a meteor in this video. It's not a plane/spacecraft or anything else. It's a rare daylight sighting of a comparatively large meteor.

Originally posted by Griffo515

There was a well photographed 'fireball' like this in the UK ~4th March 2012, which was also supposedly rare. Either people are getting better at capturing rare sights or these things are currently easier to spot/more common.

Experts, like the American Meteor Society, are saying the source of the Nevada fireball was the Lyrid meteor shower, but other experts contest this was still unusual and might have nothing to do with the shower.

frenchtribune.com...

Talking about fireballs, it is said that it is not normal for fireballs to make such huge explosion but it was indeed something new and would further give the fodder for extended research.

However, Dan Ruby, Associate Director of the Fleischmann Planetarium at the University of Nevada, Reno, denies the claim and said it has nothing to do with the meteor shower.

Supposedly pictures from Nevada:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It most likely landed out in the Nevada Desert being that El Dorado County is on the California / Nevada border. It will be very hard to find. Nevertheless, There is a meteorite out there some place just as there is an even larger one sitting in the woods above Yosemite Valley. ~$heopleNation

Me witnessing a huge meteorite in Yosemite National Park

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by charlyv

Yeah but this was bigger than a washing machine.

Exactly, meaning that it was likely not a Lyrid.

As charlyv said, most Lyrids are tiny - grains of sand or perhaps the occasional golf-ball sized meteoroid.

From past experience we know that washing machine sized objects are much more likely to be asteroidal rather than cometary in origin.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

Absolutely. Also, you're obviously far more familiar with the local area and surrounds than me, so this could well be the case... but (and I don't know the answer to this, hence the question) would the shuttle or something similar normally create multiple booms? That sounds extremely violent... hence my leaning toward 'Fire' rather than anything else, because if they were having structural integrity issues, then high speed, high loading maneuvers of any kind would be out of the question, as the thing would just tear apart.

Don't forget too, that with a delta wing like the shuttle (or whatever the hell it is that they're now racing about in... the wing will be either delta or dihedral of some sort), if they wanted to get down quickly, bleeding speed isn't the issue... that's a relatively simple exercise. Speed's never the problem... it's rate of decent that'll kill you every time and it's trying to arrest this ROD that causes problems with these emergency descents and at speeds producing multiple booms, the G's would be catastrophic!

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join