It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimps worship a supreme being???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The video resounded for me a lot of what I've read in regards to Nietzsche and his genealogy of morals. In so many words, he proposes the beginning of our gods as worship of the tribal leader, as there was a clear distinction between what was good (useful) and bad (useless) for the community as a whole.

He elaborates the point with the a peoples' attempt at immortalization of a group leader through ritual, whether it be totems, a play with mask and costume, or simply through word of mouth. Eventually, as time wears by, these idols become more than human, and become something almost divine within the confines of nostalgia of a better time and place that could be attributed to that distinct individual that helped the whole on an unexpected scale of knowledge and power.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
He who feeds you is your god.

Paraphrased from Salem's Lot and cuts right through the human condition.

Hail McDonald's.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Interesting video!
Here's a relevant statement from British explorer Sir Richard Francis Burton:

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

Sir Richard Francis Burton
British explorer & orientalist (1821 - 1890)

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I think for many, the idea is that there is a supreme being who by his very nature is greater than one's self, as the center and the source or the first/last cause in creation, making of the human being a "child" of God. Being made in the image of God is a metaphor for the shared property of self-conscious awareness. There is so much misunderstanding, and willful ingorance on the part of atheists as to what believers believe and why, and I'm not referring here to the blind faith of literalist-fundamentalist conservative evangelicals either.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's called kissing ass to the alpha male in charge. It's a form of heirarchy, to gain acceptance.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by karl 12

I think for many, the idea is that there is a supreme being who by his very nature is greater than one's self, as the center and the source or the first/last cause in creation, making of the human being a "child" of God. Being made in the image of God is a metaphor for the shared property of self-conscious awareness. There is so much misunderstanding, and willful ingorance on the part of atheists as to what believers believe and why, and I'm not referring here to the blind faith of literalist-fundamentalist conservative evangelicals either.

Willful ingorance on the part of atheists? When atheists research and logically pick apart all the flaws in the bible, the only responses (though they may be flowered with many more words) from those of faith are:

"JUST BELIEVE IT!"
"I don't care if it doesn't make sense, I just believe it."
"You're going to hell if you don't believe it."
"Two billion of us believe it, and that proves we are right."
"God loves you even if you don't love him."

None of these statements offer any fact-based reason to believe.

The chimps in the video SAW the alpha male physically displaying his power. They have more reason and evidence to believe in the alpha male than all of the religious (and supposedly intelligent) fanatics believing in a god.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you saying that when a hominid bows down to another hominid and grants them full authority over their life that they are acting like primitive chimps in the jungle? Say it ain't so Jig, say it ain't so.

Nice find though.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Interesting video!
Here's a relevant statement from British explorer Sir Richard Francis Burton:

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

Sir Richard Francis Burton
British explorer & orientalist (1821 - 1890)

Cheers.

That really hits the spot.
Good quote, thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you saying that when a hominid bows down to another hominid and grants them full authority over their life that they are acting like primitive chimps in the jungle? Say it ain't so Jig, say it ain't so.

Nice find though.

LOL Those stupid monkeys. Oh wait, you're talking about us! Ha! The practice of hierarchies within so many species makes me wonder if it is somehow hardwired into them (and us)? What would life be like if such a thing didn't exist? No leaders. No one in control of anyone. T'would be a mess, wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by jiggerj

Nice find though.

LOL Those stupid monkeys. Oh wait, you're talking about us! Ha! The practice of hierarchies within so many species makes me wonder if it is somehow hardwired into them (and us)? What would life be like if such a thing didn't exist? No leaders. No one in control of anyone. T'would be a mess, wouldn't it?

Well some species are clearly hardwired for a hierarchy physically.

Ants or bees are good examples of caste systems based on heredity. There are many fascinating 'civilization' type species, although some are considered pests such as termites.

There are also more solo oriented species that wander and scavenge or hunt for prey and live most of their lives alone.

An interesting aspect of human beings is that we are not physically bound to a specific type of system. We are only mentally bound by it apparently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join