It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO / Meteor Explodes Over South Carolina (media coverage / video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hi.

They are saying it's a meteor regardless it's pretty cool video...

from youtube uploader:

Many people across the Upstate called FOX Carolina and said they were awakened by a loud boom and flash of light early Monday morning.

Most of the reports of the unusual phenomenon came from people living in Cherokee, Spartanburg and
Greenville counties at about 1:45 a.m.

Officials at the National Weather Service at the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport said that based on eyewitness reports, the event was likely a meteor.

The Weather Service said there was a flash in the sky about 1:46 a.m. and they recorded a very faint flash with their cameras.

They are coming.....

edit on 22-4-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It looks like a Meteorite to me , just had a check and the next satellite due for reentry is 2012-015B due today at around 16h15 .
www.satview.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Yeah I'm sure it's a meteor. I just posted it because of the video.

Thanks for the link to the other website.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
not an expert in anyway...

but ive seen metorites n flying rocks a few times.... they have NEVER been blue or lit up the sky??

they r just lumps with an orange tail.

why is it blue?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There was a known meteor shower happening on April 21st

The Lyrid meteor shower has been observed by humans for more than 2,600 years and occurs when the Earth passes through a stream of dust from the comet Thatcher (C/1861 G1). The comet dust slams into Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 mph (177,027 kph) during the encounter, causing the material to flare up. Comet Thatcher is a long-period comet that orbits the sun once every 415 years.

The Lyrid meteors get their name from the constellation Lyra, which serves as their apparent point of origin in the night sky.

At midnight, between Saturday and Sunday, the constellation Lyra will appear in the northeastern sky. The actual predicted time of peak Lyrid meteor activity is 1:30 a.m. EDT (0530 GMT) on Sunday, Cooke said.

Lyrid meteor shower tonight April 21st

Lyrid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

edit on 22-4-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aarcadius

post by Aarcadius
why is it blue?

Colour is dictated by the composition of the Meteor , blue means it was probably rich in magnesium

post by Aarcadius
but ive seen metorites n flying rocks a few times.... they have NEVER been blue or lit up the sky

Here's one lighting up the night sky from 09

edit on 22-4-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

ahh i see.

that leaves me with only a few questions most prominent is ...

did they recover the meteor that lit up the night sky in 2k9? and did they recover this blue one?

just asking cus well even your one from 2k9 seems like wow that's a lot of light.... the ones i see are just like shooting stars but really close lol. sure they emit light but not to that level.

But i see where your coming from that you have identical incidents that have facts to explain them. would just like to know if they were retrieved?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Aarcadius

post by Aarcadius
why is it blue?

Colour is dictated by the composition of the Meteor , blue means it was probably rich in magnesium

post by Aarcadius
but ive seen metorites n flying rocks a few times.... they have NEVER been blue or lit up the sky

Here's one lighting up the night sky from 09

edit on 22-4-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

I believe it is more copper and cobalt than Magnesium. Magnesium burns white.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

I believe it is more copper and cobalt than Magnesium. Magnesium burns white.

According to this the speed of the object can also have an effect on the colour .

• What colors can they be?
Velocity of the falling meteorites can also determine the color. Slow meteors can be red or orange, while fast meteors frequently have a blue color.

And according to this magnesium creates bluish/green colour

• Why do they have different colors?
Meteor showers can produce different colors of light. The difference in the color of light is caused by the different chemical make ups of meteors being vaporized. Sodium particles can produce orange/yellow light, iron will produce yellow, magnesium creates bluish/green, calcium makes violet and silicate meteors produce fiery red colors.

www.brighthub.com...

edit on 22-4-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add link

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The lyrid Shower is due now, but that video report is from last monday.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Thanks for the information! I live close to this area, and I will be watching the sky tonight! I agree with you, they are coming, and some are already here!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aarcadius
But i see where your coming from that you have identical incidents that have facts to explain them. would just like to know if they were retrieved?

The Peekskill meteorite was recovered
It hit a car

apod.nasa.gov...
edit on 23-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Thank goodness I'm near Chucktown!

top topics

join