It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for an amateur singer? (my daughter)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The best advice is sign her up for formal singing classes or have her join a choir. The choir teacher gives lessons for free. Voice coaches teach breath management and how to project one's voice. As they taught me, sing like you raised your voice when you were a kid. Your daughter seems to be keeping her singing strength (or spirit) at bay, she needs to free her spirit. Ask her to start singing as if she were a little kid raising their voice. The voice should come out unobstructed and free. I would also suggest screaming exercises (in a pillow of course) so she can test the different strengths.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Her voice is fine. What she needs to learn is to use her diaphragm to get "oomph"(best word I could come up with) into her voice. She's just using lungs and throat right now. As previously mentioned a vocal tutor is the best way to go. The voice is an instrument the same as any other. It need to be trained.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I love the way you put it. ''Oomph''.
I would say a joke about going to the bathroom but I'll resist the temptation.

CX

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
So many great replies, thank you for all of them.

She has recently joined a thing called Rock Choir here in the UK, she's among likeminded people who meet each week to sing, and now and again they do a performance in public. It has already helped her come out of herself a bit, and last week she expressed a wish to do a solo at the choir group. Thats a big step for her.

There is definately not going to be any "forcing" her to do it, i was forced to stand there and sing as a kid and it put me off for years. I think it's a fine balance, sometimes that extra nudge is indeed needed, but too much and it can have a negative effect. So at the moment, she's just enjoying the new skills and having fun. Thats good enough for me.

I agree about the comedowns that can hapen when you don't make it big, i'm not sure kids these days realise how much hard work it will take to make it in the music industry. They see someone get through a few rounds on Pop Idol or X Factor and think it's easy.

Oh well, there is a lot to work on and to read through again in this thread, so a big thank you again from myself and my daughter.

CX.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
A lovely young lady with a lovely voice. I wish her all the best!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

A choir will help with her confidence but not technique. A professional tutor will.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I believe she has great potential!! Esp since she can play guitar too. She is young and her voice WILL change over time. Mine did. With practice and maturity, her range will grow as will her control....

A good vocal teacher (not a school choir teacher) but paid lessons will help and teach her HOW to sing.

She needs to learn to sing using her diaphragm not her nasal.....I can be a bit nasally (think of Amy with Evanescence...she is very very nasally)...I have to really focus on not being so....tell her to lay flat on her back on the floor and practice singing this way. Sounds crazy, but it allows for a wider range...your diaphragm isn't all squished due to sitting....it opens it up a bit...

She also needs to learn a bit of voice control...holding those notes....this will come with practice and time....

Many don't realize that your voice has to be exercised.....and you can lose it....but you can get it back too. lol A vocal coach will teach her voice exercises.....how to breathe, etc....

But for 14 she has a pretty voice and is obviously talented! Get her in some lessons!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think your daughter has a nice voice, just needs a bit of work. My best friend is a band and artist manager. He has a great female vocalist, who has taken a long time to get to where she is now. She was going to go the X factor route, but decided to go it alone, she's had a few stumbles along the way, but I think she has the potential to be huge. I would tell your daughter not to rush and to work on her individual style, because as I said she has a nice voice.

CX

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Double post.

CX.
edit on 22/4/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
As a musician for 30+ years, I can tell you she is pretty talented for her age. She's just starting out, of course, so she can't expect the world to fall into her lap right away, if ever.

I also agree with woodward, she should develop her own uniqueness, don't try to copy others - be herself and try to set herself apart.

As for advice, here's what I would recommend:

Practice.

Practice some more.

Keep practicing.

Keep learning how to read music - if she doesn't, she needs to learn how.

Practice.

Write good songs that stand out. There are a million good singers out there. Good songs are what distinguishes a lot of them. Even if she doesn't sing them herself, she could make a good living as a songwriter if she has talent there.

And finally: Practice.

edit on 22-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I agree with GEL and AwakeinNM.

She has heaps of potential.

I have a little experience in the industry and would recommend two things (beyond what was already offered).

1. Sing to the radio with the volume as low as possible.

2. Sing as many different ranges/styles as possible. This can't be stressed enough. Sing out of the comfort zone without putting undue strain on the vocal chords.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Get her in a band or group of musicians who do what they do for FUN.

Get them to write, play, practice, perform and promote their own stuff.

It doesn't have to be technically perfect.

It has to be FUN for the performers and the audience.

Professional tutorship will help but no-one can teach as well as experience and having FUN!

edit on 22/4/2012 by chr0naut because: FUN

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels."- Frank Sinatra

She's just going to figure out what works for her. Confidence comes with experience, and for a lot of the greats it only came artificially.

I can't sing in front of a soul without a drink. I realize it's not the best advice for a fourteen year old little girl though. Maybe the prayer would be a better idea...lol
edit on 22-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

CX

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

I can't sing in front of a soul without a drink. I realize it's not the best advice for a fourteen year old little girl though. Maybe the prayer would be a better idea...lol

Lol that made me laugh.

Cheers everyone, i've written all of these suggestions down and will go through them with my daughter tonight. We'll work on as many as we can and see how things go.

CX.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

She's awesome, I actually enjoyed listening to that.

She just has to keep going at it

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Hey mate.

I think the best thing would be lessons or a vocal group choir.
I did something similar a couple of years back and it was a good experience... you learn different breathing techniques and also learn how to sing with/around people.

I have awful stage fright and cannot sing at all in front of people... unless I'm pissed and even then, I still may not.

You/she should try as hard as possible to get over this fear/nervousness now... because it doesn't just go away.

she has a pretty decent voice and I think with some work and decent song choices (that'll come with age) she could be pretty good.

Hope everything works out OK and that she does some lessons or something.

The choir thingy I joined was only about £40 for 11 weeks... once a week... so not too expensive.

You can obviously do more and probably pay more but start off simple and ease her into it.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I personally think she's doing great for a 14 yr old just starting out. Keeping time on an instrument while singing is a gifted talent in it's own right. I would get her started with a good vocal coach and guitar or piano lessons. One of the main things is to keep her interest high and progressing at a steady rate and practice, practice, practice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join