It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Who Sonic Screwdriver Becomes A Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
A team of research physicists at the University of Dundee in Scotland used energy from an ultrasound array to form a beam that can both carry momentum to push away an object in its path and, by using a beam shaped like a helix or vortex, cause the object to rotate. The Dundee researchers were able to lift and spin a free-floating 10 cm diameter rubber disk with the ultrasound beam.

For the news article:
www.sundaysun.co.uk...

For the technical details:
prl.aps.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Cool,

but would it be able to apply torque t an object like a screw to turn it or just affect free floating items?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

What is that?

I'm sure you can add more than a url even if you are new.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

My mistake, I thought you were directing that comment to me for a second, my apologies.
edit on 22-4-2012 by DiscoveryOfTruth because: Realized the post was not directed to me.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

To be honest, I'm not sure. I would just like to point out that "Sonic Screwdriver" is a device used by "The Doctor" in the BBC program Doctor Who. I believe that the purpose for this will be for surgeries.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Thank you for the link, i wasn't aware of that thread or I would not have posted this one.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DiscoveryOfTruth

As if they have retreived an alien tool and have succeeded to duplicate the science behind it. That is what my first thoughts were. It is kind of strange coincedence when devices shown in sci-fi movies become reality. Thinking about Capt. Kirk and his communicator and Dr. Spock his poratable handheld analizer....not to mention transparant flatscreens....stil waiting for transparent alluminium to surface.

edit on 22/4/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Very interesting you say that because if you recall, in Star Trek: The Next Generation, they had an "Internet" of sorts where they had wireless (wifi) devices that were flat and touch-screen. At the time, it was something that the average viewer thought was just part of the science fiction genre, but we have things like iPad now.

I wonder if we will have transporters as depicted in Star Trek: TNG.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Do you have any proof?

new topics

top topics

join