It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the government up to???? This smells like a trap

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet access

WASHINGTON (AP) — For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.
Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

international hackers

FBI busted-
shuts down support in july

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, www.dcwg.org... , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

what makes this odd is that

- the fusion centers are online
- this is the first I heard of this

It just rubs me wrong... makes me think they want control-

the site listed

www.dcwg.org...

What is the DNS Changer Malware?
On November 8, the FBI, the NASA-OIG and Estonian police arrested several cyber criminals in “Operation Ghost Click”. The criminals operated under the company name “Rove Digital”, and distributed DNS changing viruses, variously known as TDSS, Alureon, TidServ and TDL4 viruses. You can read more about the arrest of the Rove Digital principals here, and in the FBI Press Release.

why otherwise focus on a single company to prevent the DNS changer....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
DNS changer -FBI

DNS (Domain Name System) is an Internet service that converts user-friendly domain
names into the numerical Internet protocol (IP) addresses that computers use to talk to
each other

does do a walk through but I am highly suspicious-

Are there some tech geeks here that can give a separate non-affiliated anti-maleware

I will keep looking

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I was wicked suspicious about this too. I'd heard something of it a couple of months ago, and just today I read the same items you linked here. I was glad to see a thread started on it- I hope to see some informative replies.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Plenty of threads on this already if you'd bothered to look.

Facts are that people infected with this domain changer trojan would have already lost internet access if "the government" hadnt already stepped in to help out.
In this case, they were doing people a big favour. Its just that they cant keep doing it forever.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

normally you would see the anti- spywar, maleware, avg, and add exctra all saying they fixed it...

silence is speaking volumes...

now if it is a regular trojan based series of programs

why the silence and not a single thing saying we got it covered

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This ranks right up there with flu shots...thanks FBI but NO THANKS

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

nope this is different- I smell conspiracy and it is a new article...

Some one else posted that the FBI was able to monitor for months the site these people visited and never notified them... un-warranted monitoring!!!

This is more over the conspiracy ---

I feel this is more a part of the threads over the NDAA and other internet controls....
edit on 21-4-2012 by ripcontrol because: From the ministry of Orwell

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Babooshka77

I agree I smell a rat and why is it not all over the news....

As for the shots, me neither...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol

My thoughts exactly. Nothing on Cdn news, yet they're saying world wide. Nothing from my service provider, or the phone company that collects the payments. Nothing from Dell ( yes, I know, I have a Dell ).

Dell is obligated to fix my computer if something goes wrong - virus or whatever, under the warranty.
The service provider is obligated to keep me connected - under contract.
The phone company collects the money for the provider, I'm sure they get a cut too.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

nope this is different- I smell conspiracy and it is a new article...

Nope, its exactly the same topic - the DNS changer trojan.

The FBI took over the target from the criminal hackers, and they're doing their best to stop you needing their help anymore.

Just because you personally havnt heard about it before today doesnt mean anything at all. Its been rather well publicised.
A google search shows over a million returns for the DNS changer trojan keywords, many many news items, and (as has been said before) a whole bunch of threads here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I can attest that this is a new article that has been posted today. Early in the morning. I just find it funny how I'm writing my paper on hacking and Grasso says just about the same thing that I do but opposite and he just reaffirmed what I said in the report. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I found it on the English news site DailyNews earlier today. Some things do make you wonder though.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

it is over the conspiracy this brings to mind...

Again the articles are the singular listed site to clean and check for infection

They are not attempting to email the vicitms..

Also as some put - no notification from-
dell- who would not let this pass because of the cash loss
norton and other services...

It has a buried feel---

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

ty-

I am not going to use the site to check mine

do you know of anyone who has...

BTW- I also forgot to mention they never notified the people their services where being ran on FBI servers...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

It is a good point I also have seen no notices from dell

nor from any providers listed as auxillaries articles to link to...

edit on 21-4-2012 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by happyhomemaker29

yes it makes me wonder-

the biggest part is the no notification- a big sign of an issue

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
www.dns-ok.ca...
Welcome
This page is hosted by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) and provides an online checker to indicate if your computer system may be affected by DNSChanger Malware — malicious code that was used by a criminal gang recently apprehended as part of the FBI Operation GhostClick. To learn more about this malware, please visit Public Safety Canada. Please note that this checker does not screen your computer for any other virus, malicious code or malware. CIRA encourages all Internet users to adopt best practices in anti-virus protection for personal and business computers.
About CIRA
CIRA is the member-driven organization that manages Canada’s .CA domain name registry, develops and implements policies that support Canada’s Internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.
---------------
Bienvenue
Cette page est hébergée par l'Autorité canadienne pour les enregistrements Internet (ACEI). On y propose un vérificateur en ligne indiquant si votre système informatique est touché par le logiciel malveillant DNSChanger utilisé par un groupe de criminels récemment appréhendé dans le cadre de l’opération GhostClick du FBI. Pour en apprendre davantage sur ce logiciel malveillant, veuillez visiter Sécurité publique Canada. Nous vous prions de noter que cet outil de vérification ne recherche aucun autre virus ni programme ou logiciel malveillant. L’ACEI invite tous les internautes à adopter les pratiques exemplaires en matière de protection antivirus, et cela, tant pour leurs ordinateurs personnels que pour leur poste de travail en entreprise.
Au sujet de l’ACEI
L’Autorité canadienne pour les enregistrements Internet est un organisme sans but lucratif qui, dirigé par ses membres, gère le registre des noms de domaine .CA du Canada, élabore et met en œuvre des politiques à l’appui de la communauté Internet canadienne et représente le registre .CA sur le plan international.

Ya its a Federal Govt. Site,,,legit and Canadian Safe

just checks your DNS Cache,,

ohh by the ATS,,had your Servers Checked yet?
ya
HEAVY,,

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Yesterday on GiveAway of the day they had a 6 month trial subscription to Security Kiss. Which is supposed to anonymise you while being on the internet, blocking the form malware, and unblocking website. I find it very interesting and odd that the program was even posted on there. Then the article came out this morning and just reaffirms my positions. Totally, big brother isn't playing now.

You can all thank ANONYMOUS and their Sycophants.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I went googling, and found a Canadian site that checks for this. Maybe it is legit

www.newswire.ca...

I just checked mine, and I'm ok.

I trust the Cdn site, I don't trust the US government site - it's just too hard to trust the US government

I just saw above that BobAtHome found the site too.

Strange that our provider didn't say anything. Or Dell.
Maybe they'll just fix people's computers as they phone in with them broken?
edit on 21-4-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm green!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join