It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Museam showcases rasist artifacts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The objects displayed in Michigan's newest museum range from the ordinary, such as simple ashtrays and fishing lures, to the grotesque — a full-size replica of a lynching tree. But all are united by a common theme: They are steeped in racism so intense that it makes visitors cringe.

I found this from the front page of yahoo news and made this face

and wait it only gets better

That's the idea behind the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia, which says it has amassed the nation's largest public collection of artifacts spanning the segregation era, from Reconstruction until the civil rights movement, and beyond.
The museum in a gleaming new exhibit hall at Ferris State University "is all about teaching, not a shrine to racism," said David Pilgrim, the founder and curator who started building the collection as a teenager.

I honestly don't get the point of this even if the founder says its not a shrine to racisum its actually making people disgusted

Pilgrim, who is black, makes no apologies for the provocative exhibits. The goal of the $1.3 million gallery, he explained, is "to get people to think deeply."The displays are startling. The n-word is prevalent throughout, and many items portray black men as lazy, violent or inarticulate. Black women are shown as kerchief-wearing mammies, sexually charged Jezebels or other stereotypes.

and there is even things from this time period about Obama

Some of the objects in the museum are a century old. Others were made as recently as this year.
One T-shirt on display reads: "Any White Guy 2012." Another shirt that says "Obama '08" is accompanied by a cartoon monkey holding a banana. A mouse pad shows robe-wearing Ku Klux Klan members chasing an Obama caricature above the words, "Run Obama Run."

what do you guys think good idea or horribe

Links
yahoo news article

CBS article
Johnson city press

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Sorry (Edit)

I have no problem with the older stuff I think the youth of today need to educate themselves and know what life was like for slaves.

But for the newer stuff that makes me sick,we have come along way but this stuff just throws us back 60 years.
By the way I'm white Australian and I'm disgusted in some of this (the newer stuff) .

edit on 21-4-2012 by muSSang because: I didnt read the whole article oops

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I have no problem with it at all. It is part of our history good or bad.

People NEED to see it and remember it so we don't go there again

Remember...... Those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it.

It's not right to hide stuff from history and try and act like it didn't happen. Embrace our dark past and try and make the future better.

that's my opinion anyways for what it's worth.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

Good idea or bad it's out there now. Some will hate it others will snicker and think it's funny. Most likely it will widen the racial divide TPTB have been cultivating for years. Especially in Michigan where urban blight is at it's worst in this country.
P.S. The words I think you meant to spell were: "racist" and "racism". There is no excuse for bad spelling.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
History is history, it happened, why try to hide it?

There is a holocaust museum, no one complained about that.

But I guess people feel uncomfortable about it because it happened in the USA, there isn't a foreign country to pass the blame on.

The museum should just focus on the PAST racism. The Obama stuff makes it look like he has an agenda.

edit on 21-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The museum is a wonderful idea. We need to show our children the perils of racism, and how society changes over time.

The best way to avoid repeating stupidity in the future is to study it in the past.

PS
That greedy n***** boy statue- words fail.

new topics

top topics

join