It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLANETARY RESOURCES: Billionaire-backed space venture Planetary Resources to be unveiled April 24

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
I always wondered how sending material into space, leaving it as space junk, affects our earth, and our gravitational pull in space.

It doesn't affect us. The total mass of all the stuff we've sent into space would not make a noticeable difference at all. Plus the Earth increases its mass every year from meteorites. I've seen estimates around 100,000kg per year.

Of course I'm not sure I like the idea of messing with asteroids for the eventual benefit of greed, intentional or not, what if the asteroid is pushed off it's course,even slightly? Next near miss of earth may not be a miss!

And on the plus side, messing with asteroids could also give us the ability to move an asteroid off course that may have been already heading to Earth naturally.

And what happens if you overload an economic system with glutenous supplies of 'rare materials'. If not carefully orchestrated by the brilliant morons, it is no longer a 'rare' material and loses all value.

It would never lose all it's value. Platinum and the other Platinum group metals would be extremely useful in everything from electronics to mechanical and industrial applications. It also makes for nice jewelry. With lower prices, I'd imagine that would only increase the demand as I'm sure people would find even more uses for the metal. It does have a lot of really nice qualities.

I'm all for mining asteroids. There is no atmosphere to pollute, no wildlife to harm, no environment of any kind to destroy. If it can actually be made to be economically viable, then maybe we can stop mining the Earth itself. (I don't know if that would ever happen though). Either way, I see this as a move in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

The people involved are millionaires and billionaires.

No government funding required.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by jra

Thats one of the parts I like the best about this, no politicians. No agenda's that sway to and fro from one political parties interest to anothers every 4 years. These are like minded individuals with clear goals. They have the resolve and resources to accomplish their goals. Plus the track record of making their dreams realities.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Originally posted by zroth

This was posted in alt news too.

It makes me sad that people forget who stole America's money.

Cheer for these people if you want.

Part of their journey is funded by your stolen 401k

Who stole "America's" money... Americans?

Just because you don't see how the information and experiments gathered from NASA initiatives has benefited the people of America, doesn't mean that they aren't there.

NASA, alone, took on the responsibility of research and development that will undoubtedly shape our future. I hope you see this... Private industry, most likely, would have never found it worth the investment to take on the tasks that NASA undertook. That is the only reason I don't hate on them...

But now, lets think about it... The private industry is fully ready and willing to invest into the exploration of space. Private industry can finally see themselves making a profit, and finally have the information available to get them off the ground(pun intended)

STOLEN MY 401K?!

OH NO!!!! Thank GOD, I'm smart enough not to rely on such a thing!

think about it.

Thanks for your super ignorant response. Way to miss the point and feel great about it.

I am happy you are super excited that the thieves get to keep on thieving for their personal gain.

Enjoy the show and some feeling of personal gain associated with it.

Neat, wow and gee whiz for space travel.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by jra

Thats one of the parts I like the best about this, no politicians. No agenda's that sway to and fro from one political parties interest to anothers every 4 years. These are like minded individuals with clear goals. They have the resolve and resources to accomplish their goals. Plus the track record of making their dreams realities.

They have a great idea here.

Question: Where are the cargo spacecraft ???

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

They're working on them.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join