It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart hushed up Mexico bribe network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Title

NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. hushed up a vast bribery campaign that top executives of its Mexican subsidiary carried out to build stores across that country, according to a published report.

The New York Times reported Saturday that Wal-Mart failed to notify law enforcement officials even after its own investigators found evidence of millions of dollars in bribes. The newspaper said the company shut down its internal probe despite a report by its lead investigator that Mexican and U.S. laws likely were violated.

Easy to sum up

they knew it was going on

exposed by newspaper-
began new investigation

now in cya mode

and what was the bribing for...

The Mexican executive, previously the lawyer in charge of obtaining construction permits, said in emails and follow-up conversations that Wal-Mart de Mexico paid bribes to obtain permits throughout the country in its rush to build stores nationwide, the Times reported.

So I am off to find the times article for more details...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I miss read the title to this thread and though that Walmart was now selling Mexican mail order brides. Some of these Mexican women are hot.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
At walmart in Mexico

In a confidential report to his superiors, Wal-Mart’s lead investigator, a former F.B.I. special agent, summed up their initial findings this way: “There is reasonable suspicion to believe that Mexican and USA laws have been violated.”

The lead investigator recommended that Wal-Mart expand the investigation.

Instead, an examination by The New York Times found, Wal-Mart’s leaders shut it down.

the better article is the NY times

speed reading it made my eyes pop...

they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar but...

I have not done a lot of business in mexico.. with the amount of corruption present in mexico it might actually be business as usual in Mexico...

the bribed with donations?

greasing palms...

they lobbied the officials for the permits to allow quick building for new super-centers?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
when a public official makes 15 pesos a month and his bonus is paid in tacos, it comes to no surprise there is corruption.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
all fines are less than profits.

corporations know that.
edit on 21-4-2012 by zroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is typical for Walmart, when are they not doing something illegal or immoral? No wonder republicans love them so much

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This could show up on Hillary's door step. Shes been funding Walmarts supply chain in South America with money from USAID.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is typical for Walmart, when are they not doing something illegal or immoral? No wonder republicans love them so much

Ok, really?
I hope you think more before you talk than you do before you type...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
This could show up on Hillary's door step. Shes been funding Walmarts supply chain in South America with money from USAID.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Umm actually this is showing up at good ole Mittens doorstep according to Politico. The man in charge of the bribery now works at Mittens Solamere Capital according to the journalist.

The link was first reported by the Boston Globe, where I did some extensive reporting on the $250 million private equity fund last fall. Romney resigned from his role in advising the fund when he announced his run for president, but his son and his campaign finance director, Spencer Zwick, remain managing partners. Scott is still an operating partner.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
msnbc-

Bottomline- DOJ opens investigation

The allegations, if proven true, could badly hamper the company and its management for years. They could lead to a time-consuming global probe, substantial financial penalties imposed by U.S. authorities and the departure of some executives, experts said.

and

NYT: walmart hushed up investigation

MEXICO CITY — In September 2005, a senior Wal-Mart lawyer received an alarming e-mail from a former executive at the company’s largest foreign subsidiary, Wal-Mart de Mexico. In the e-mail and follow-up conversations, the former executive described how Wal-Mart de Mexico had orchestrated a campaign of bribery to win market dominance. In its rush to build stores, he said, the company had paid bribes to obtain permits in virtually every corner of the country.

and

Walmart creates anti-bribery post

Wal-Mart said Tuesday it has created a new position to oversee compliance with federal anti-bribery laws as it struggles to deal with the fallout from reports that the company bribed Mexican officials and then tried to cover up the scandal.
The creation of a new global compliance officer is one of the steps the company has taken in the past year to manage issues of bribery when they arise, company spokesman David Tovar said in a statement.

the last one is a knee jerk reaction to idiots complaining... a brand new post that is what--- a waste-- pay bonus's to the producing employees

CNN

this is funny

Walmart CEO at risk

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act has generally not been used to catch top executives. That might be changing.
FORTUNE -- No top executive of a major U.S. company has ever been charged in connection with U.S.'s Foreign Corrupt Practices Act bribery law. Wal-Mart's (WMT) CEO Michael Duke could be the first.

I give short odds.... he steps down gets a light sentence....

my next post it is necessary

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Foriegn Corrupt Practices Act

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977 (FCPA) (15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq.) is a United States federal law known primarily for two of its main provisions, one that addresses accounting transparency requirements under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and another concerning bribery of foreign officials.[1]

you ll have to read

laymen's terms

Pay bribes to other government
get caught
in countries other then america

The problem here....

Did walmart's behaviors merely mirror and behave like superpacts in the US...

What if a sovereign country allows such behavior ... the main problems with this...

one no leaders in positions of power

two have they been convicted of bribing officials in mexico by mexico
you do not want to be culturally insensitive to our Mexican brothers...
Mexican business standards are not Americas (yet)

If walmart chooses to dig in and fight they can win, I actually see them folding and tossing a few people to the wind..... nothing will change

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Says it all:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Got that right!

Isnt that the truth!

edit on 28-4-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

top topics

join