It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare footage from United Nations UFO Conference - November 28th, 1978.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The 1978 United Nations hearings on UFOs calling for international investigations into the subject has already been covered by a couple of threads here on ATS (including this one describing how the British government tried to stop it) but there's a rare clip posted below from the meeting along with statements from various people like Dr J. Allen Hynek, Dr James E. Mcdonald and Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence J. Coyne -there's also some interesting CIA documents concerning Chinese UFO research which openly state the U.N. repeatedly called on the governments of all countries to 'establish UFO investigation bodies' -too bad that didn't happen..

Rare footage of famous 1978 UN UFO Hearing found

The official UFO Hearing held at the United Nations Special Political Committee on November 28, 1978 was undoubtedly one of the great milestones in the history of ufology, particularly when it comes to its recognition by key international institutions. While photos of this event have been published many times, I am not aware of any footage ever been shown in a UFO documentary or news story. Last week I received a box of old videos that had somehow gotten separates from the rest of my UFO collection, and while looking at the videotapes, I rediscovered one that had been given to me many years ago by the late Colman von Keviczky, the director of ICUFON (Intercontinental UFO Network) and veteran New York ufologist. The tape included raw footage of the UN UFO Hearing and press conference shot by Colman himself, who was a professional cameraman...

link

Statements submitted to the United Nations by Lt Colonel Coyne and possibly two of the most famous scientists ever to have studied the UFO phenomenon:

Statement submitted by Lieutenant Colonel Coyne (far right)

"With the aircraft under my control, I observed the red-lighted object closing upon the helicopter at the same altitude at a high rate of speed. It became apparent a mid-air collision was about to happen unless evasive action was taken."
"I looked out ahead of the helicopter and observed an aircraft I have never seen before. This craft positioned itself directly in front of the moving helicopter.
This craft was 50 to 60 feet long with a grey metallic structure. On the front of this craft was a large steady bright red light. I could delineate where the red stopped on the structure of this craft because red was reflecting off the grey structure. The design of this craft was symmetrical in shape with a prominent aft indentation on the undercarriage. From this portion of the undercarriage, a green light, pyramid-shaped, emerged with the light initially in the trail position.
This green light then swung 90 degrees, coming directly into the front windshield and lighting up the entire cockpit of the aircraft. All colors inside the cabin of the helicopter were absorbed by this green light. That includes the instrument panel lights on the aircraft."
"As a result of my experience, I am convinced this object was real and that these types of incidents should require a thorough investigation. It is my own personal opinion that worldwide procedures need to be established to effectively study this phenomena through an international cooperative effort. The establishment of a Transponder Code for aircraft flying worldwide is needed, to identify to ground controllers that a pilot is indeed experiencing a UFO phenomena and that pilot anxiety can be reduced to provide safe effective flying, knowing he is under radar control."

Thread

Dr. J. Allen Hynek Speaking at the United Nations, Nov. 27th 1978:

"Mr. Chairman, there exists today a world-wide phenomenon... indeed if it were not world-wide I should not be addressing you and these representatives from many parts of the world. There exists a global phenomenon the scope and extent of which is not generally recognized. It is a phenomenon so strange and foreign to our daily terrestrial mode of thought that it is frequently met by ridicule and derision by persons and organizations unacquainted with the facts. Yet, the phenomenon persists; it has not faded away as many of us expected it would when, years ago, we regarded it as a passing fad or whimsy. Instead, it has touched on the lives of an increasing number of people around the world."

link

Dr. James McDonald's Letter and Statement to the United Nations:

"Attached hereby you will find a copy of the declaration which I will submit on June 7 to the Group of the Outer Space Affairs. It briefly summarizes the reasons for which I have exhorted the United Nations to take immediate action with regard to the problem of the UFOS. This problem is a very vast problem, therefore a short summary of this type can present only a highly summarized draft of the apparent nature of the problem of the UFOS and the possible scientific methods to study it. I believe that a serious and solid effort on behalf of the United Nations to gather information about this problem and to encourage an immediate scientific attention in its connection among all the nations members would be a considerable step towards the removal of this "lid of ridicule" which, at for now, is opposed in such a strong manner to the publication of many UFOs observations. Many other actions by the United Nations could and should be undertaken in order to increase the interest of the scientific world into the UFOs problem."

link

CIA Document concerning Chinese UFO Conferences (over 5000 unexplained reports) which states that in 1978 the United Nations called on all countries to establish UFO investigation bodies:

Title: UFO RESEARCH CONFERENCE TO HOLD CONFERENCE IN BEIJING

Origin: CIA

Source: People's Republic of China

To: Numerous recipients including Wright-Patterson AFB

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fb1af95b532.jpg[/atsimg]

In 1978 the United Nations called on the governments of all countries to be on full alert for sightings and establish UFO investigation bodies.

link

Another CIA document which mentions that the United Nations has brought up the issue again:

CHINA UFO SOCIETY MEETS; TO CONTINUE SCIENTIFIC STUDY

The United Nations adopted a resolution in 1978 asking all nations to pay close attention to the UFO problem. This year is the international year of space; The United Nations has again brought up the issue.

link

There's also a thread below from ATS member Sceptical Ed/The Shrike showing personal photographs from the hearing but they appear to have been removed, hopefully he can upload them again so everyone can see them.

By request: My photos of the 1978 United Nations "UFO Day"
edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
there is no audio in the video....

This could be any UN convention.....

Thats all im saying

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

At first I thought it was just me, glad I'm not hearing things.

Oh, forgive me that's right. There was no sound.

Could be that they were talking about anything at that conference. Not necessarily UFO's
edit on 21-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

It's genuine mate and it happened. You think people would fake a UN conference for you?

Fascinating:

"With the aircraft under my control, I observed the red-lighted object closing upon the helicopter at the same altitude at a high rate of speed. It became apparent a mid-air collision was about to happen unless evasive action was taken." "I looked out ahead of the helicopter and observed an aircraft I have never seen before. This craft positioned itself directly in front of the moving helicopter. This craft was 50 to 60 feet long with a grey metallic structure. On the front of this craft was a large steady bright red light. I could delineate where the red stopped on the structure of this craft because red was reflecting off the grey structure. The design of this craft was symmetrical in shape with a prominent aft indentation on the undercarriage. From this portion of the undercarriage, a green light, pyramid-shaped, emerged with the light initially in the trail position.

"A craft I have never seen before". That's pretty intense.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There appears to be three types of land creature on earth and oer three periods in earths history, i wonder if this is the same throughout the galaxy? Would make sense to me.

There are probably earths inhabitted by Reptiles, others by Mammals and others by Insects. Each may have evolved into the Reptile type aliens (draco, reptillian etc) Human type aliens (anunaki, nordics, etc...) and Insect type aliens (large grey, small grey, the mantis etc....) if humans on earth dont make it as a species I believe this will become a "radioactive" insect dominated planet.

Just throwing this out there. I have heard of abductions with more than one type of alien involved.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
A former work colleague of mine who was a MP for the Air Force and a crash investigator. said each base in australia had a protocol for UFO's,upon some sort of UFO buzz, he said each base had a safe opened by 1- 2 keys, inside was a envelope with a phone number and a code that you had to crack open out of a plastic case, these codes got changed regularly.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

ahh no

Im making a a simple observation........that un conference in the video could be ANY UN conference at the time.........

Not only that people can doctor documents.......not saying those are.....

What i am saying, is that the title says this is a UN UFO conference, and that the video.......with NO audio.....could be any UN conference

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

there is no audio in the video....

This could be any UN convention.....

ManBehindTheMask, thanks for the reply, it states at the Youtube link that the video contains no sound (I didn't think we would be that lucky) but I suppose I should have posted that - here is some more information about the footage and who's in it from the links provided:

The footage you are about to see lasts 1:15 min. and begins with a shot of the hall of the Special Political Committee where the UFO Hearing was held; it then shows Dr. J. Allen Hynek addressing the delegates and you can see Prime Minister Gairy sitting behind the astronomer; the camera then pans over the tables where the delegates sit, showing many empty seats; back to Hynek and the screen where a montage of UFO footage (both films and still photos) prepared by Lee Spiegel for Hynek’s Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) was shown—because the camera was far from the screen and you can barely see the footage, we have edited it out; next you’ll see a second panelist addressing the committee, Lt. Col. Lawrence Coyne of the U.S. Army, who talked about his close encounter with a UFO on a Huey Army Reserve helicopter near Mansfield, Ohio, on October 18, 1973, during the peak of the 1973 American UFO wave. Gairy was careful to point out in his introduction that Coyne was speaking on his own behalf and not as a representative of the U.S. military.

Von Kevicky’s camera then switches to the press conference, which happened right after the end of the morning session of the UFO Hearing and which, as opposed to the Special Political Committee, was packed. You see here the speakers’ panel starting from the right with Grenada’s Education Minister, Wellington Friday, who was the number two man for the Grenadian UFO initiative, Prime Minister Gairy, and Dr. Hynek smoking his pipe—that itself shows how many decades have passed since the event—and then shows two of the other panelists, Dr. Jacques Vallee and Lt. Col. Coyne; the camera then pans quickly through the audience at the press conference, where I recognized my friend and long-time New York ufologist Mike Luckman wearing a yellow shirt; the film ends with close-up of Gairy and Wellington Friday.

There's also additional information about the conference here.

The United Nations and UFOs
A NEW PUSH FOR UNITED NATIONS ACTION ON UFOs

Cheers.

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Not only that people can doctor documents.......not saying those are.....

As it also states at the link, the documents are genuine and available to download on the CIA web site - there are plenty more interesting ones here.

It's also shame there's no footage from the US Congressional hearings on the UFO subject in 1968 but you can read about the report below if you're interested.

Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects -Committee on Science and Astronautics - US House of Representatives,1968.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b06ef12fdf4e.jpg[/atsimg]

"Today the House Committee on Science and Astronautics conducts a very special session, a symposium on the subject of unidentified flying objects; the name of which is a reminder to us of our ignorance on this subject and a challenge to acquire more knowledge thereof. We approach the question of unidentified flying objects as purely a scientific problem, one of unanswered questions. Certainly the rigid and exacting discipline of science should be marshaled to explore the nature of phenomena which reliable citizens continue to report"

Link

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
How much, if at all, are the UN involved in the discussion about UFOs today? I know Benjamin Creme brought it up in the past.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

"With the aircraft under my control, I observed the red-lighted object closing upon the helicopter at the same altitude at a high rate of speed. It became apparent a mid-air collision was about to happen unless evasive action was taken." "I looked out ahead of the helicopter and observed an aircraft I have never seen before. This craft positioned itself directly in front of the moving helicopter. This craft was 50 to 60 feet long with a grey metallic structure. On the front of this craft was a large steady bright red light. I could delineate where the red stopped on the structure of this craft because red was reflecting off the grey structure. The design of this craft was symmetrical in shape with a prominent aft indentation on the undercarriage. From this portion of the undercarriage, a green light, pyramid-shaped, emerged with the light initially in the trail position.

"A craft I have never seen before". That's pretty intense

Yes mate, that UFO incident is completely bonkers and the thread by Internos was one of the reasons I got interested in the UFO subject in the first place - here's Lt Colonel Coyne discussing the UFO and the object description and reported flight characteristics sound very strange indeed.

See 0:40

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just joined to say how much I enjoyed this thread. Very good.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Carl, two of your so-called 'CIA documents' are Xinhua News Agency public releases. Can't you tell the difference?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Gim, his nick is spelled with a k.

Can't you tell the difference?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Carl, two of your so-called 'CIA documents' are Xinhua News Agency public releases. Can't you tell the difference?

Hi Jim, the two declassified documents in question come directly from CIA website under the heading 'Freedom of Information Act Electronic Reading Room' (link) -considering the U.S. Government states it has no interest in UFOs since 1969, why do you think the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Washington were being sent (via the CIA) documents of this nature in 1992?

Also, it states in the article below you used to be a 'Security Officer' at Kirtland Air Force Base in charge of maintaining safeguards for classified government documents -did you ever happen to come across any interesting ones as it's said the base experienced a very strange UFO incident on November 4th, 1957?

Sincere but Uninformed Skeptics Have Been Duped by Skeptical Inquirer Magazine

Furthermore, the “skeptical” organization’s connection with nukes does not end with Kendrick Frazier. James Oberg, one of CSI’s leading UFO debunkers, once did classified work relating to nuclear weapons at the Air Force Weapons Laboratory, located at Kirtland AFB, just down the road from Sandia Labs, in Albuquerque, New Mexico..

link

As for the thread subject and the individuals involved who submitted testimonies to the U.N., I know you think the Coyne incident was caused by a 'fireball' (and you don't ever seem to want to discuss Dr Mcdonald's comments about highly dubious USAF explanations) but I was wondering if you agree with Dr Hynek's statement below about declassified government documents and UFO denial being an insult to the American people?

"Now, however, documentation which puts the UFO- U.S. government controversy in quite a new light has become available. The authors have made revealing use of documents released through the mechanism of the Freedom of Information Act and other data which have been made available to them, often through private sources, which show that the CIA and NSA protestations of innocence and lack of interest in UFOs are nothing short of prevarication."

"The reader must judge for himself or herself just how far these implications extend, but certainly no one can deny any longer that various intelligence agencies of our government were long cognizant of UFOs and the global extent of this phenomenon. Official dispatches from our embassies and air bases in other countries to these agencies, to the State Department, and even, on occasion, to the White House, bear incontrovertible witness to this."

"For the government to continue to maintain that UFOs are nonexistent in the face of the documents already released and of other cogent evidence presented in this book is puerile and in a sense an insult to the American people."

Dr J Allen Hynek, Chairman of the Department of Astronomy at Northwestern University and scientific consultant for Air Force investigations of UFOs from 1948 until 1969 (Projects Sign, Grudge and Blue Book).

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by A51Watcher

A51Watcher, many thanks for the correction my friend, good old Jacques Vallee was also present at the United Nations UFO meeting and here's what he had to say about government censorship and manipulation of UFO data in 1992 -maybe Jim can share his opinions on this statement as well.

"Governments took notice, organizing task forces, encouraging secret briefings and study groups, funding classified research and all the time denying before the public that any of the phenomena might be real. The major revelation of these Diaries may be the demonstration of how the scientific community was misled by the government, how the best data were kept hidden, and how the public record was shamelessly manipulated."

Dr. Jacques Vallee, astrophysicist, computer scientist 1992

link

Cheers.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good link shared by Xpoq47 in which Dr Hynek discusses the definition of the term 'UFO' and the 'mis-interpretation of the phenomenon' taken from his comments at the U.N. on November 27th, 1978 - Owlwoman has also made a mighty fine post here linking the collection of Dr James E. Mcdonald's UFO research, correspondence, cases, reports, interviews and printed materials at the University of Arizona from 1958 to 1971.

I refer, of course, to the phenomenon of UFOs... Unidentified Flying Objects... which I should like to define here simply as "any aerial or surface sighting, or instrumental recording (e.g., radar, photography, etc.) which remains unexplained by conventional methods even after competent examination by qualified persons."

You will note, Mr. Chairman, that this definition says nothing about little green men from outer space, or manifestations from spiritual realms, or various psychic manifestations. It simply states an operational definition. A cardinal mistake, and a source of great confusion, has been the almost universal substitution of an interpretation of the UFO phenomenon for the phenomenon itself.

This is akin to having ascribed the Aurora Borealis to angelic communication before we understood the physics of the solar wind.

Nonetheless, in the popular mind the UFO phenomenon is associated with the concept of extra-terrestrial intelligence and this might yet prove to be correct in some context.

link

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

The 1978 United Nations hearings on UFOs calling for international investigations into the subject has already been covered by a couple of threads here on ATS (including this one describing how the British government tried to stop it)

Following on from Skyfloating's thread about declassified documents describing how the British Government attempted (and apparently succeeded) in stopping international UFO investigations, here's an interesting letter from the year before from Colonel Senn to Lieutenant General Crow of NASA regarding the subject.

September 1st, 1977:

link

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Great find by Zcustosmorum - interview with Lee Speigel:

More than 40 years ago, the UN General Assembly adopted UN decision 33/426 which invited "interested member states" to undertake UFO research on a national level and to inform the secretary general about their findings. In this interview, Exopolitics Germany coordinator Robert Fleischer talks with US-journalist Lee Speigel about his personal involvement in that United Nations decision - it was actually him who had brought leading UFO experts together to present their findings at the UN Special Political Committee, supporting Grenada's Prime Minister Sir Eric Gairy in his initiative to bring the subject to the attention of the world. However, as British and German government files recently revealed, Grenada's UFO initiative wasn't welcome at all and certain parties tried to prevent it by any means

The United Nations UFO Resolution - Interview with Lee Speigel (FULL)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
The 1978 United Nations hearings on UFOs calling for international investigations into the subject

How about showing a official UN press release or Un released proceedings paper in this conference?

Or anything from a official UN source on this....

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Much obliged for the shout mate and yeah, very good video. Kinda annoys me how Gairey stole the light on the press conferences though, maybe if Vallee or Hynek had been allowed to speak, it may have made more of an impact.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join