It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IED - Intermittent explosive disorder; finally a true diagnosis for my niece.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Now this, I totally believe. Even I could tell my niece was not an Autistic. I'm just glad the doctors have been able to properly diagnose her and hopefully now, she will get the treatment she needs and it wasn't diagnosed too late. For the 8 months that she was here, I have experienced everything they list on a daily basis.

IED (No, not the one that terrorists use)

Intermittent explosive disorder

www.behaviordisorder.org...

People who have IED most often experienced explosive rage, as well as verbal abuse and physical abuse, in their family when they were growing up. The exposure to this type of behavior, as well as a genetic component and body chemistry, may contribute to causing IED. Risk factors for developing IED include being physically abused as a child, having a drug or alcohol abuse issue, and having another mental health issues, such as a mood disorder. On the other hand, some believe that IED may predispose people to abuse drug or alcohol or have other mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety.

Outcomes of IED can include self-injury and suicide attempts. Depending on where the explosive episodes occur and their severity, it could also lead to school suspension or expulsion, loss of one's job, separation or divorce, or criminal complaints.

www.minddisorders.com...

IED is characterized by violent behaviors that are impulsive as well as assaultive.

Tthe urge to commit the impulsive aggressive act may occur from minutes to hours before the "acting out" and is characterized by the buildup of tension. After the outburst, the IED patient experiences a sense of relief from the tension.

While many patients with IED blame someone else for causing their violent outbursts, they also express remorse and guilt for their actions. ["Yeah I don't know how many times I have heard the, I did not do it, it's mom's fault" It wasn't me!!]

www.bipolarcentral.com...

Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) is one of a cluster of five impulse control disorders. IED is characterized by episodes of violent or aggressive behavior that includes harm to others or destruction of property. These episodes typically result from minor incidents and the patient’s reaction is out of proportion to significance of the triggering event. The episodes begin with little provocation but they can last for hours, and usually end abruptly. The patient may break or destroy objects or property, become combative and hurt others, and often feels confused or suffers amnesia about the event. Following the event, patients will often exhibit guilt and accept responsibility for their actions. Between episodes, there is no evidence of violence or increased physicality.

It is important to differentiate these symptoms from any other medical or mental disorder.

Aggressive reaction or violence that is totally disproportionate to the triggering event
Violent behavior, assault, fighting, homicide
Destruction of property, breaking or smashing objects that belong to the patient or to others

edit on 21-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I find it a rather unfortunate abbreviation in today's paranoid security conscious world. Imagine explaining the medication she has to the TSA is due to her being an IED sufferer and them hearing you wrong...

Anyway, I suppose at least it's a step forward, a definite diagnosis. A place to start from possibly. Lots of luck!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I've been following the situation with your niece pretty much from the get-go. I'm happy that they have FINALLY figured out what's wrong. I have never heard of this condition before, so I'm wondering what the course of treatment is- if they have even developed a successful course of treatment for it yet. I have a feeling that there will be much "Googling" in your future as you try to learn as much about your niece's disorder as possible.

I know you've had a really tough time for the last several months and have hung in there when most people would have washed their hands of the whole situation. You've received a lot of criticism from a lot of people around here and toughed it out anyway because you felt it was the right thing to do. I applaud you! It's a wonder you haven't gone insane! If it were me I would have booted both of them out a long time ago, but that's just me.

I hope this diagnosis is the beginning of the path to a normal, loving relationship for you and your niece and her mother. I wish all of you the best and send you much blessings. The road ahead is a rough one- stay strong!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I've been following the situation with your niece pretty much from the get-go.

How, using goggles??

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

No goggles; she's been posting about the situation on ATS pretty regularly for months. I don't know how she put up with all the craziness for as long as she did. If it were my niece I'd have beat the snot out of her and thrown her and her mom out on the streets within a few weeks! Manhater is some kind of saint in my book!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They took her off Depakote. Yes, ...... I knew that was making her insane.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

According to wiki it is used for treating bipolar and manic depressive sufferers. It might be an idea to take things gently, just a thought. The side effects look quite extensive although thankfully I don't see suicide or similar mentioned like you often do with "psychiatric drugs" or whatever they are called.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I don't know. I know when she was here she would purposely hurt herself. Now, not sure if it was to just gain attention or to just get a trip to the hospital in ambulance or if it was the drugs making her do that.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Looks like that Vet Hospital is giving her the works! Royal treatment.

They already had her Neurological scans done. They are monitoring her Endocrine system. They are do everything that her mother put on piece a paper that needs to get done to help her.

THANK YOU PA VETERAN DOCTORS!

Now why couldn't the damn NC doctors do that for the 8 months that she was down here? Probably wouldn't of have gone through so much hell.

It only took 1 month for the PA doctors to get it done.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I had never heard of this condition before either, but, because of your post, OP, I did some research and this condition seems to fit my step-son, along with his ADHD and Bi-Polar disorder. The explosions do not happen often, but when they do, better get out of his way. At 10, and a Dwarf, this kid has incredible power and energy. Thank you,
Manhater. Tell me, you don't really hate men, do you? Just asking.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

No I'm not a manhater.

I still date guys.

Just don't have the time option too.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Update:

She is finally going in Residential Care.

Boy ,she is getting spoiled.

She loves the hospital she was placed in and when the hospital tried to discharge her, she wanted to come back to me or stay in the hospital.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join