The Sapiens Paradox: The Business of Hate

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Who here has read or watched Stephen King? Heard of him? Most of you? Some? I'm hoping at least half of you have some knowledge of Stephen King, even if it's only that he's a bestselling author of horror novels. For those of you familiar with the subject matter, it may shock you when I say that most of his novels (if not all) are almost entirely accurate impressions of humans under duress.

The irresistible opportunity to reanimate the bodies of your loved ones (Pet Semetary)...our insatiable love with technology turning reality into a nightmare ("Christine")...our suicidal urges to explore the dangerous, along with our voracious hunger for knowing/experiencing destruction and chaos ('Rose Red")...

...and the most pertinent one of all, "The Mist"...which displays a disturbingly realistic protrayal of how humans, when trapped in a corner by an unknown force, will decide to worship it, and will destroy their own humanity in the meantime, just for hope. Just for some kind of hope, no matter what the means. Watch it, or read it, if you want more details. (hint: Wikipedia)

And one of the lines in that movie goes thus:

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

Don't you think this is a little too accurate to be shrugged off? Look at the Saw movies...more philosophical tours through the dark side of human stress. The willingness to help out a fellow person, but only if your survival depends on them. The moment you no longer need them - or maybe, when your survival depends on their death...you will instantly turn on them.

We have an irrationally large propensity for picking out the most inconsequential details and hating each other for it. Sexual preference, religion, political views, color of the skin, body height, gender, career orientation, clothes, speech, hobbies and interests, opinions...even just walking in the wrong place. Originally, these things were based on survivalism. One detail thrown off could mean the collapse of a stable structure. That which was already working was not comfortable with change.

But as I have said before, this era is not reliant upon survivalism. Every single reason we have to hate each other...should be dust in the wind. We have robots doing our vacuuming and building our cars, and we are growing diamonds and corn in labs. Fire can be started in seconds, by smearing goo on a stick and throwing a match on it. We can control the weather, and we have broken the final frontier...space. We have sent man to the moon, and we have raised the dead. For that matter, we have power over life and death itself.

Survive? Survive what?

Oh yeah...ourselves. We have only ourselves to survive. Our own instincts, which are still nudged by our basic desires for resources, territories, and mates. We no longer need these things. And yet, because of some hither-to unknown plan, we are lead to believe everything we see in papers or on tv, we need. Furthermore, we have become convinced that despite the numerous poisons, chemicals, and additives in our foods and drinks, we must have those as well. Because we are still in survivalist mode, we see everything and take the "Gotta have" to the max. And our government, for the sake of keep itself afloat in a time when it is no longer "needed", has used this loophole to override our critical thinking skills and program us to make money.

Oh, and hate each other. Because that makes money too. And our government discovered long ago how easy it is to make people hate change...

So, this is the bottom line...every problem in the world is caused because of this: we want to use, but we don't want to be used. Thus, we are caught in the paradox of helping each other out only because we must be helped, but we must get more out of the other person, but then the other person notices and we have to give more, before we switch over. And then the other person moves on and we have to find another source of aid. We are taught to feed off of, and hate, one another...so as to keep us blissfully rowing down "National Farm" river, where the ones who benefit most from our work and our lives, the blood and sweat spent every day, are the ones who sit at the very top. The men holding the money bags, dangling their feet in every single corporation in the world. We are the chattel, and we are mindlessly hating and destroying one another to further someone else's demented vision of perfection.

Now that your eyes have been opened to the revolting river of discrimination and negativity that we are swimming in (because it makes money for the government and whoever owns it) let's stop all the conflict.

The moment we unite, is the moment the big men on top lose. Nothing was ever gained by division except defeat. We are Homo Sapiens...we are intelligent, we are powerful, we are protectors of this world. We were not meant to be pushed down, we were not supposed to fester in the bowels of addiction, we were meant to rise. And we can only do it together.

Stop the hate. Apart, we will die. Together, we can win.

Namaste
edit on CSaturdaypm313110f10America/Chicago21 by Starchild23 because: don't forget to post!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Best post I believe I have ever read on ATS.

It makes perfect sense and I can believe every word of it.

Great job!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We come into this world kicking and screaming and crying and needy. And we spend our whole lives
searching for the answers as to why we are here, why we are separate and self-aware,

I think the devil resides on the details...

The nature of this world is greedy and selfish, and the animals we reside in reflect this circumstance.
To eat you must kill.
To procreate you must compete for the best mate
To succeed you must win

....it is a greedy system

And it is all instinctual---built into and programmed into the animals in which we each uniquely reside.

I think the purpose of life is to fight against the animal instinct. And that the ultimate "win" is
actually a surrender. As you say OP, "...Nothing was ever gained by division except defeat"
and once we realize this, maybe we can focus on our true and shared problems instead of our
egotistical and instinctual ones...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Steven King was and still is "The Man". Huge fan here, his Richard Bachman stories hooked me the most. The Long Walk and The Body were thing's I've read at least four times and The Talisman he wrote with Peter Straub was actually amazing. Pet Sematary was a great read I need to read more, I've been pretty slack. I love the creepy story genre and I am a good creative writer myself. Ray Bradbury was another favorite of mine. If you want to get the ultimate impression of duress though, "Gerald's Game" was intense.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

As you say OP, "...Nothing was ever gained by division except defeat"
and once we realize this, maybe we can focus on our true and shared problems instead of our

I am of the very firm opinion that if we wanted to, our nation could create a utopia.

However, that does not appear to be the end, or even a stage, that our leaders are reaching toward.

But if not a utopia...then what? That's the million-dollar question.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
"Uniting", the most over used term of the new desire for Babel. Uniting humanity based on what? That's the problem and fundamental aspect that is never stated in visions of utopia. The unity pushed today is based on the progress of man without God - that man is not only perfectly fine without God, but that man can be their 'own god'. It's a Luciferian dream that's been in existence for milleneniums and is fast becoming a reality. It's a dream and not reality, for any look around society shows you the susceptibility of man to do wrong and evil. The disastrous effects of sin are clearly demonstrated around us even today, proving to us that the tendency of sin and doing wrong is a downward spiral to greater and greater degradation and misery. Legalising abortion is leading to louder and louder calls for euthanasia of adults, redefining homosexuality from a sexual perversion to 'normal' behaviour protected by equality laws is alarmingly leading to public calls to redefine pedophilia as 'normal' etc etc. These things are proof that when a group, united in a common agenda, are able to bulldoze their own beliefs onto the rest of the population, that no 'good' will ever come from unity.

So I got to ask, on what basis do you propose that humanity unite? And who will get to choose? Man, subject to lusts of every variety, will never adhere in unity. We can see this false cry for 'unity' all around us in everything from the zeitgeist movement to the new age visions of utopia - and sadly, they all have the same common denominator - the group causing the chaos in the first place.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
"Uniting", the most over used term of the new desire for Babel.

So I got to ask, on what basis do you propose that humanity unite? And who will get to choose?

There is always a simple and elegant answer.

I will choose.

My choice is simple, Utopian, and completely unattainable.

It has two tenets

1. Help and aid others wherever you find an opportunity.
2. Do not waste life

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You get the award for being the first person I have come across on ATS who spells 'lose' correctly!!!!!!
YAY! It is not 'loose', unless you ask your spell checker.

Beyond that, you remind me of a friend of mine, who used to say, "everybody is out to gig ya."

You speak in a similar vein to the psychologist Maslow, who posits the notion that self-actualization is realized after our survival needs are met. I agree with you on the Utopia bit; however, until people on this planet have adequate shelter, food, and water; humanity will continue to operate in tribal (herd) mode.

What constitutes the leader of the herd? The one who appears to be the one most capable of surviving, or, the richest; regardless of moral fiber.

Todays, 'leaders' are so far from the herd, either by compartmentalization or globalization that we glean 'wisdom' from them from via mass media. Psychologically we give our power to the fiercest warrior or competitor, because innately we believe we need to be like this to survive.

Competition for resources only exacerbates the frenzy for Groupthink amongst the tribe. Attitudes like, "oh it's ok if 1 million Iraqis die, including women an children, as long as we get their oil", allow a people to actually condone such atrocities .

As far as the business of greed goes, this is also exacerbated by the consolidation of power into fewer hands and the compartmentalization of global entities. The sense of community is gone with global rule. Everything is top down with a narrowing capstone.

Self actualized people are not like this. They do not need to take from others in order to survive and thrive.
However i agree with you, that most people will argue that what is right, is what puts the most on their table, regardless of an increase or decrease within the world's systems.

If everyone believed in the Golden Rule, there would be more for everyone and less to argue over.

regards

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by rival

As you say OP, "...Nothing was ever gained by division except defeat"

I am of the very firm opinion that if we wanted to, our nation could create a utopia.

However, that does not appear to be the end, or even a stage, that our leaders are reaching toward.

But if not a utopia...then what? That's the million-dollar question.

We have the resources to make the world a utopia. There are enough resources and enough knowledge to fill everyone's needs and even have them live comfortably on top of it. The only thing that is stopping it is people. It all comes down to greed, stubbornness, arrogance, anger, or fear. Until people conquer these five emotions, the world will stay a hellhole.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

the movie "IT" was some scary a55 Shizz!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

So I got to ask, on what basis do you propose that humanity unite?

By these three keys to happiness:

Love

Life

The pursuit of happiness

Love everyone, enjoy life, and pursue that which makes you happy. If you follow all three of these things to the fullest of your ability, you will be happy.

But here's the catch: we have to abandon our materialistic ways before we can succeed along this path. And since we are currently addicted to material status and material life (see my thread on the Society Game) we will have a very difficult time breaking free.

And who will get to choose?

Everyone. We have mastered technology, and we have mastered the material world. It is now time to master the spiritual world...unfortunately, as I have said, we are now addicted to material. It will be much harder progressing from here.

Especially considering the spiritual world is defined by people who have absolutely no understanding of it.

new topics
top topics

join