It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by MrXYZ

I present to you... your avatar.

It's called "sarcasm"

One of the reasons I have my avatar is because of silly threads like this one

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Really?

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 10 to the 10,123rd power. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

Can you please show me a published scholarly paper where Penrose stated this?
Hopefully you don't have too much trouble......

Thanks in advance!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

no trolls like to eat people kinda like your avatar and online persona...

I just like to whip butt... all over town! it makes me feel better

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

No...just like "starving" isn't the same as "not hungry" on the flip side

No, but "starving" would also be "not satiated". Just as with these, so would "believing in God" be oppose to "believing in creationism" which I have proved to be just as flawed as you point Christianity out to be.

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 10 to the 10,123rd power. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

That's not objective evidence against it. We dont' even know how it all started in the first place. It's a hypothesis

It's not a hypothesis, actually. It's pure mathematics. Nowhere does it hint that these calculations are hypothetical. It doesn't matter how it started...the numbers here show that random luck was not a key element, as you insist it is.

And scientists aren't saying it evolved "by chance"...that's just something creationist websites repeat over and over again. I guess that's where you got your quotes from

Actually, they are promoting "survival of the fittest". It doesn't matter though...if you are fighting as a single-celled amoeba from the sea in order to become a velociraptor or whatever, this bit of evidence:

No mutation that increases genetic information has ever been discovered.

...pretty much squashes your theory.

What do they consider "new information"? And how does it relate to DNA? DNA actually fully backs up the theory of evolution as we can now trace ancestors much more accurately...

DNA contains information. And every gene in DNA has a designated packet of information dictating the activities and behavior of the cells. There are holes in our evolutionary tree...they haven't figured all of it out. There are missing links.

Einstein didn't believe in a personal god...and all the others lived in times where not believing or openly saying so would get you tortured...read up on Galilei.

I'm not saying you should believe in the Christian god. Maybe the Christian view of god is flawed...

so what are your arguments against god?

I believe in a god, just not the one established by modern religions.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

Really?

Thanks in advance!

He stated it because scientists aren't even claiming it happened because of "chance". It was a thought experiment.

Little fun fact: Penrose was a convinced atheist

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Why don't you do your own work, if you're so interested?

All you need to do is copy and paste.

Don't ask me to be your personal secretary. I believe in finding the truth under your own steam.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I love you too darlin'

the mods would have removed this thread by now if it was trolling... I am responding to each individual in as a timely and honest manner as I can.

I am sorry I am not as educated or supposedly enlightened as a atheist.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

Why don't you do your own work, if you're so interested?

All you need to do is copy and paste.

Don't ask me to be your personal secretary. I believe in finding the truth under your own steam.

Oh I did search. I couldn't find anything. Possibly because the only place you find that quote are in creationist arguments!

Please source your info. Now I understand why you do not.
Pretty pathetic arguments.

If you do not source your quotes, that is called plagiarism.
edit on 4-22-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by paradox

Really?

Thanks in advance!

He stated it because scientists aren't even claiming it happened because of "chance". It was a thought experiment.

Little fun fact: Penrose was a convinced atheist

Penrose does not hold to any religious doctrine,[24] and refers to himself as an atheist.[25] In the film A Brief History of Time, he said, "I think I would say that the universe has a purpose, it's not somehow just there by chance ... some people, I think, take the view that the universe is just there and it runs along–it's a bit like it just sort of computes, and we happen somehow by accident to find ourselves in this thing. But I don't think that's a very fruitful or helpful way of looking at the universe, I think that there is something much deeper about it."

That's from Wikipedia. "the universe has a purpose" "not somehow just there by chance"...

These sound like the words of someone who is undecided...definitely not an atheist.

50 cents for a new game.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

This now tells how precise the Creator's aim must have been, namely to an accuracy of one part in 1010123. This is an extraordinary figure. One could not possibly even write the number down in full in the ordinary denary notation: it would be 1 followed by 10123 successive 0's. Even if we were to write a 0 on each separate proton and on each separate neutron in the entire universe- and we could throw in all the other particles for good measure- we should fall far short of writing down the figure needed.

Taken directly from his book:

Amazon

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

reply to post by WatchRider

it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Atheist shouldn't even be participating in this section, they don't believe in Gollum or Evil ones correct?

or do they and is it they just have doubt... possibly fear?

as a matter of fact I can smell it!

edit on 22-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

This section is conspiracies in religion isn't it? Are you saying that this particular board is off limits to anyone unless you believe in religion? LMAO There are no rules that say you have to be religious, christian or believe in some sort of god in order to post on this forum.

no... I am saying you have individuals which are confusing religion with theism and faith and also now some are even mixing political science in with their brand of atheism.

I'm not one of those lost & confused souls... I have spirituality, I believe there was a man named Jesus who was crucified and that this act could not contain or kill off his spirit.

I am an American... I was born in America... I can believe anything I want to believe... America makes the laws I must live by and in.

feel free to call America my master if you wish it and it makes you feel better?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Reading the title of this thread infers the classic "Bait& Switch".
Baited by the antagonistic use of the word atheist followed by a exploitative claim they (atheists) are deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres.
And to further instigate a response from atheists pulls out line and tackle and a baits again through derogatory and inflammatory opening statements in regards to atheists.

Pure trolling with a undertone of a megalomania.

Dam mud slinging,now i got some on me.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

And that is the biggest problem I have with Judaic religions.

Thing is, there's a question hidden in that: is false religion meant to protect mankind, or dominate it?

Is this system keeping us safe, or is it destroying us? If it's the only thing keeping us from killing ourselves and each other, the only thing keeping us in motion...would you still destroy that system?

Would you condemn our species to extinction?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

This now tells how precise the Creator's aim must have been, namely to an accuracy of one part in 1010123. This is an extraordinary figure. One could not possibly even write the number down in full in the ordinary denary notation: it would be 1 followed by 10123 successive 0's. Even if we were to write a 0 on each separate proton and on each separate neutron in the entire universe- and we could throw in all the other particles for good measure- we should fall far short of writing down the figure needed.

Taken directly from his book:

Amazon

Now where did you pull the above quote from? Because it is not on the page of his book you linked me to.
Please tell me what page number I can find this quote on.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

That's from Wikipedia. "the universe has a purpose" "not somehow just there by chance"...

These sound like the words of someone who is undecided...definitely not an atheist.

50 cents for a new game.

See those little numbers called 'citations?'

Yeah, if you use them, you can go directly to the source where Penrose says he is an atheist. Amazing, isn't it?

news.bbc.co.uk...

2:50

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Yes, and see where he contradicts himself on Wikipedia? That has a citation as well.

Again...50 cents for a new game.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman

reply to post by WatchRider

it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Atheist shouldn't even be participating in this section, they don't believe in Gollum or Evil ones correct?

or do they and is it they just have doubt... possibly fear?

as a matter of fact I can smell it!

Reckless thinking leads to brash decision-making. We don't want members of society making decisions for stupid reasons--especially if they are in a position of power. I think that's the main reason atheists participate in discussions on religion.

Yes we have doubt. As any rational person should doubt any belief they hold. Here's a little argument that should inject you with a healthy dose of doubt: Even if god himself came down to you and revealed his existence, there would be no way for you to tell whether it was a real god or just something else that has the capacity to trick humans into believing it is a god. Surely if we are to entertain the notion that gods exist, we can just as easily entertain the notion that there are some kind of supernatural tricksters that could convince us that they gods, even though they aren't. The reason religion requires faith, is because you just kind of have to take their word for it. They could never actually prove that they are gods as you could never tell the difference between the real thing, and some kind of trick.

cause and effect

thank you for your input, it was quite non biased and not mentioning any specific groups... I do appreciate that as atheist seem to like to deny nearly everything to everybody but themselves... (like science, God, ect ect)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

Yes, and see where he contradicts himself on Wikipedia? That has a citation as well.

Again...50 cents for a new game.

I do not see where he says the Universe needs a creator.

In fact, I think you should listen to the entire sound clip I linked you to, in order to understand his view on the Universe.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

reply to post by MrXYZ

I present to you... your avatar.

It's called "sarcasm"

One of the reasons I have my avatar is because of silly threads like this one

case in point taken... thank you for your conformation

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join