It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.C. race bias law spares killer's life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I dont believe in the death penalty, period. i dont think taking a life makes up or makes things better

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Honestly, I think incarceration is stupid. It's a waste of money. We pay to keep people around that we don't want to interact with.

Think on it a minute, and tell me it sounds like a solution developed by an intelligent being.

There are three intelligent options. First is rehabilitation - to assist people in getting with the responsible member of society program.

If that fails - there is the option to exile. It is still done at measurable cost to society - but they don't have to directly assume responsibility for the death of those exiled.

There is also the option for execution. This solution, as with exile, is done for the purpose of removing a person from society who cannot keep him/herself from causing problems and has little/no desire to cease the behavior (beyond rehabilitation). This can be done at minimal cost to society, and ensures the person will no longer burden said society with dangerous behavior or housing/sustenance costs.

People get too caught up on the idea of laws existing for the sake of making things fair or "right." They are there for functionality (or should be, at least). What has been done cannot be undone. Further, what is on trial in court is not a person's soul or status as a human being - it is their responsibility to the charges against them, as well as the action society should take in its own interests regarding the individual.

I'm all for rehab programs and the like. But if they can't figure it out - we don't need them sticking around and causing problems... or taking up resources.

Since we are running out of places where we can dump criminals... it doesn't leave us many options for those who can't be or refuse to rehabilitate.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am of the mind set that there is not much of a determent for the horrendous crimes being perpetrated against our people. Black, White or Purple, I look at the lives that are shattered by the senseless loss of a loved one and I just can't get beyond why the perpetrator should not be executed.

The death penalty today is more humane than it has ever been but IMO it's not used nearly enough. The torture, rape and murder of a child, wife or even a husband is unforgivable and deserves the ultimate punishment. I would go as far as saying that if you rape a woman or a child you need to be executed. That is one of the most brutal things you can do to a fellow human.

I look at the victims and those lives that are utterly shattered by the loss of a loved one. The perpetrator is really an after thought when I consider the death penalty.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I cannot believe the US now allows "affirmative action" in respect of deciding the punishment of a common murderer- pathetic, sad to say the US is on the road to serious decline with this obsession with group thinking

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
I agree with Ron Paul on the matter.

Allowing the Government to have the authority to take life is a disturbing precedent.

There was a time I simply stated that I supported the death penalty. Now my views are not so clearly defined. I do not support the federal death penalty, but constitutionally I cannot, as a federal official, interfere with the individual states that impose it. After years spent in Washington, I have become more aware than ever of the government's ineptness and the likelihood of its making mistakes. I no longer trust the U.S. government to invoke and carry out a death sentence under any condition. Too many convictions, not necessarily federal, have been found to be in error, but only after years of incarcerating innocent people who later were released on DNA evidence. Rich people when guilty are rarely found guilty and sentenced to death. For me it's much easier just to eliminate the ultimate penalty and incarcerate the guilty for life--in case later evidence proves a mistaken conviction.

Not only is Ron Paul correct on this the automatic appeals process ends up costing more than LWOP. I agree the Death penalty is unjustly distributed among criminals due to racial bias.
It's cheaper to just let them stay for life behind bars and there's no more ethical concerns about imposing the death penalty on an innocent person.

I would still keep the death penalty for Capitol crimes (killing LEO's, political assassinations and mass murderers) however.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I would still keep the death penalty for Capitol crimes (killing LEO's, political assassinations and mass murderers) however.
edit on 22-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

A LEO or politician is no more important than my wife or children or my next door neighbor for that matter. For the rape, torture and murder of anyone, I say you need to be executed. LEO's and to a certain extent Politicians are important people but they are no more important than your loved ones are they?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

Not more important but far more likely to be the target for various reasons.
I believe that was the logic behind the original laws defining capital murder.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, I would like the apologists or morally superior to read the following story or any of the depraved real crime stories related to torture, rape and murder at this site.

www.trutv.com...

After reading this, put yourself in either the victims shoes or those left behind whose lives has been shattered. If you are still against the death penalty I say B.S.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join