Cure to Poison Ivy?

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Now if you are allergic to poison ivy you know how much of a pain in the @SS it is! I am pretty highly reactant to this plant and I've come across some old treatment to cure yourself and become immune to poison ivy. I read that if u dry and remove the oils from the plant, then make a tea from the leaves you can drink this. Your body will make antigens and over time react to poison ivy like any other foreign substance and defeat it more quickly.

Does any one have any insight on this? I am currently looking for a more professional opinion on this before I try it myself.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It could be true, if coming from a herbologist. It makes sense to me as well but I'd be a bit skeptical unless a Professional told me for sure...especially if your that allergic to poison ivy. You don't want that stuff inside of you, or affecting your throat and making it itch...or causing anaphylaxis by taking it directly in and having a reaction.

If you did do this I wouldn't use a bunch of leaves either...only a very small amount...I'd try to find out all the details about it, how much you should use, how long to let dry...ect...don't go into it blind.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am by no means a professional, I can only share my experiences. Saying that, I think this could be possible.

I used to be allergic to poison ivy when I was very young. I grew up in a very rural area and used to walk a lot in the woods and play in the fields around my house. After a few years, I was no longer allergic to it. Same with my brothers and sisters. I can only guess that we built up an immunity to it as we continued to come in contact with it on our walks and such.
It no longer bothers me anymore. So, in my opinion, I built up my immunity to it.

This is in no way saying that continued contact with it would build up your immunity, just saying it looks as though it did with myself and my siblings. But something else totaly different could have made it happen.

Just food for thought.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I dont know about the tea but on one of the dual survival shows,james canterberry shows a plant that grows,next to poison ivy thats a natural antidote.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Always interested in ways to beat that stuff- I have heard eating honey daily helps.

As far as the tea- If you try this I would recommend putting some on your skin and waiting a few days before ingesting any to make sure you got all the oils out.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If you try this, have an epi pen or a lot of anti-histamines around as well someone trustworthy to administer the meds if you can't. Maybe drink it in an emergency room?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BelowPublicKnowledge

No, do not make a tea from the leaves and drink it, please. the constituent part of poison ivy, or oak for that matter, that makes you itch and causes the allergic reaction is urushiol. If you are allergic to these plants the last thing you want to do is make a tea from urushiol compound and drink it.

Look, if you have a bad reaction to these plants, don't screw around with antique remedies. If you can manage it, then go to the store or somehow locate a product called Tecnu.

It is a soap that will cause the damned urushiol to release its bond from your skin. Just get in the shower and lather up and rinse, repeat. After that, only the localized skin reactions will have to heal up and it will be over. So, that is the problem, you have to get the stuff to detach from your skin. Please do not compound your problems by ingesting the stuff.

X.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have heard the the cure grows near the poison.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the good replies, I too grew up in a rural area with lots of creeks and forest. Ill have to look up the plant that grows next to it, that will be very helpful

Also you're suppose to start at low doses, something like 1oz of tea for the next few days and increase 1oz until 12. Ill be doing more research and come back when I talk with one of my mothers herbalist friend.

Edit - Forgot to say that a doctor prescribed me Fluocinonide which works pretty well.
edit on 21-4-2012 by BelowPublicKnowledge because: (no reason given)

Edit 2 - The plant that grows near it is Jewelweed.

www.loudounwildlife.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
check this out...www.altnature.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I know for sure about 20 years ago there was a pill on the market for those at risk of encountering poison ivy, like linemen. It had the active compound of poison ivy contained in it. The pill was consumed year round and would create some kind of immunity to the plant. I know this because my son (born 93) has a severe reaction to poison ivy. My father, who is a medical doctor, confirmed that not too long before my son was born there was some kind of resistant pill that almost all outdoor people took. But they took it off the market for some reason. So, I'm thinking if you could de-oil the leaves, you might be on to something with the tea.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeprodigy

The cure that grows near the poison is Tea Tree Oil. It's sold at Whole Foods and other stores. I don't know what it looks like in nature. You just get a cloth and pour some of rub some on the skin where the poison Ivy oil has touched it. I don't know if it cures it, it's supposed to help it a lot.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Euell Gibbons, and his book, Stalking the Wild Asparagus, explains how to use poison ivy leaves to build an immunity to poison ivy.

also,

The most well known herbal treatment for poison ivy is the juice of jewelweed (Impatiens spp.) There may be a compound in jewelweed which binds to the same sites as the urushiol metabolites, thereby blocking their access. If this is true, applying jewelweed to the skin just before or just after exposure should prevent the rash. There is quite a lot of anecdotal evidence that this works. Jewelweed also has anti-inflammatory properties and should be a soothing treatment for an already developed rash.

Plantain (Plantago spp.), applied as a poultice, may also prevent the rash and will also soothe an already developed rash. Other plants with astringent and/or soothing properties may also help.

There is anecdotal evidence of people desensitizing themselves to poison ivy by eating poison ivy leaves, first starting with a tiny amount and then gradually increasing the dosage until a maintenance level is reached. The most common side effect of this treatment, however, is getting the rash where the urushiol passes out of your body. It is also possible to have symptoms internally. Similar treatments in pill form can be obtained from a doctor or dermatologist, but have the same unpleasant side effects. No other immunization appears to be available at this time.

Medicinally, poison ivy has been used to treat paralysis, arthritis, and certain persistent skin disorders, and also as a sedative. It is still used in homeopathic medicine for arthritis and skin disorders.

from here: www.kingdomplantae.net...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Jewels Weed or also known as touch me not cures poison Ivy. It is a rather brittle weed that is full of juice when broken and cures poison ivy as fast as it shows up. You can boil a bunch of it and strain it dump the water into bath water and soak. if covered in poison Ivy.
Apply 3 times daily and on average I`ve gotten rid of poison ivy in two days.

But as mentioned poison ivy grows right with this cure.

Images
www.google.com...:en-us&rlz=1I7GZAZ_en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oQWTT_KqCKee6AG auNiDBA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=571&sei=cAaTT5HANNCN6QHKxvmHBA

More info
www.altnature.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Jewelweed only works on poison ivy if you wash with it immediately (or within 1 hour of contact with poison ivy). I used to eat tiny leaves 1/2" long of new poison ivy every day. It worked for me and several others that I know. However, I don't know that any of us had a severe allergy to the plant. You do have be careful about swallowing it without it coming in to contact with your lips or having it remaining on your fingers.

I would not recommend making tea with it.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Jewelweed is my personal choice and it does grow in the same areas and conditions as poison ivy. Poison Oak is the same as Poison Ivy, and the plant's appearance depends on the climate it grows in. In some places poison ivy will grow in the form of long vines, and in others will only grow from a few inches to a couple of feet in height. Both plants are members of the Sumac family, and although one type of Sumac does make a nice tea, do not ingest anything made from poison ivy or poison oak! The general rule to help avoid the plant is "Leaves of three, leave them be!". If you're out in the woods and have to "squat", check your surroundings very carefully!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Highly allergic here. I have a treatment I accidentally found myself. Palmolive dish washing liquid poured straight (undiluted) and then scrubbed roughly with a stiff bristed brush like a small scrubbing brush.

Also, before I found my Palmolive trick ... my face was almost completely covered in it and I had been doing the standard over the counter meds for over a month. My wedding was coming up in ONE week! I was desperate and went to a doctor and he gave me a shot. The shot not only cleared it all up, all the spots were 100% gone in time for the wedding.

I also knew a girl (very overweight) who was up a tree trimming poison ivy in an extrememly skimpy (think G-string on the upper body half) top and shorts. I yelled to her to get down, that was poison ivy! She said she knew and it didn't affect her. Well, she spent a YEAR in the hospital! She had burned the stuff and her lungs were affected and her whole body covered too.

My spouse USED to be non-sensitive to it. A couple months ago, he got it for the first time so now he is sensitive to it. Now, he has to use the same precautions as me which is gloves, long sleeves, pants socks etc. and a complete soaping within minutes after contact.

As a child, I SAT in poison ivy in my girl scout shorts! They should have given us the poison ivy lessons FIRST!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BelowPublicKnowledge

Now if you are allergic to poison ivy you know how much of a pain in the @SS it is! I am pretty highly reactant to this plant and I've come across some old treatment to cure yourself and become immune to poison ivy.

Not allergic to it.

But on the whole immune thing.

Now I am not 100% sure its the same plant since I was way young.

I used to walk barefoot when 6 years old through this plant all the time. Me and my friend even had games were we would have little tests to see who can stand walking on, or having this plant rubbing all over your lower legs and feet the longest. Basically who can stand it the longest won.

After a while you do kind of build a sort of resistance to it, and the rashes go away way faster. But I would not say you go completely immune completely to it. I do not know about eating it however it does not sound like a good idea. But I think I may have, or may not at one time. Not raw! but boiled in soups and things...And again not sure my memory from way back then is not all that clear, and it could be a different plant. So take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I am immune to poison ivy.

I will not recommend this, but as a child, my mother was told by someone that in order to be immune to it, she should take a couple of poison ivy leaves and rub them into the palm of her hand until they were all mashed up. She did this and got one heck of a rash. She has never gotten a case of poison ivy since that.

new topics
top topics

join