It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenya rangers shoot dead five suspected poachers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Wildlife rangers have shot dead five suspected ivory poachers during a gun battle in western Kenya.

Two rangers were hurt during the battle in West Pokot county, said officials from Kenya's Wildlife Service (KWS).

They said 50kg (110lb) of elephant tusks and AK-47 rifles were recovered.

Kenya has recently taken a more aggressive stance against poaching as it combats a surge in demand for ivory from Asia in spite a long-standing ban on the international trade.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I am all for animal rights. I despise how most animals are simply on a food production line. I hate to see animal abuse. I have a thread up here about how they rich can pay to shoot big game.

However I think this is a terrible situation where humans are actually killing other humans to protect animals. I find this wrong on many levels.
The rich can pay to kill large animals. However if you are poor and need to do whatever it takes to get money including killing a large animal because some idiot will pay big money for part of it, you should not be excuted for trying to do so.
Some will use the excuse that the poachers were armed. However the very fact that both rangers and poachers are willing to die over an animal just demonstrates how silly this is.

If a human is willing to surrender his life to save an animal that is their decision. I do not believe that a human has the right to take a life of another human to keep an animal alive.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
They got EXACTLY what they deserved. I am not a huge animal activist, but they are taking a life, KNOWINGLY breaking the law, they deserve the consequence IMO.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
some times you get the bear....some times the bears friends get you i see nothing wrong here too bad fish and game wont do that out here might cut down on poaching in my neck of the woods

edit to add yeah and about the surrendering part they gave up that option the minute they popped off rounds at other armed humans rarely a smart thing to do on any continent unless you wanna catch returning fire
edit on 21-4-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I know you probably suffer from the antiquated belief that humans are superior to these animals but think about it for a second. We, who are vastly overpopulated, are killing eachother because some lowly individuals decided to go and kill species' that are endangered or nearing extinction. I'd say the priority goes towards saving a few species that might not exist anymore without help. If that means taking out a few bad apples in the process, I have no problem with that. You obviously have not seen what poachers do on a daily basis. They are pure scum as far as I'm concerned. We're overpopulated anyways, so I say good riddance. You did read the AK47 part in the article right? They weren't arming themselves with something like a hunting rifle, they were using assault rifles that you can punch a hole in a 3ft diam. tree trunk from 100 yards away with. These things also fire in full auto, as well, in case you did not know. These are not hunters, they are glorified highwaymen. If we could find the buggers, I would say just shoot the people that are hiring the poachers, but they seem to be more untouchable than ever. It is an excercise in futility.
edit on 21/4/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

I know you probably suffer from the antiquated belief that humans are superior to these animals but think about it for a second. We, who are vastly overpopulated, are killing eachother because some lowly individuals decided to go and kill species' that are endangered or nearing extinction. I'd say the priority goes towards saving a few species that might not exist anymore without help. If that means taking out a few bad apples in the process, I have no problem with that. You obviously have not seen what poachers do on a daily basis. They are pure scum as far as I'm concerned. We're overpopulated anyways, so I say good riddance. ]
Humans are superior to and have dominion over animals. If you believe we are over populated and humans need to die, why don't you step up and set the example? Or, are you to good to be judged according to your own standards? Are you a hypocrite?
edit on 21-4-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

No, these poachers got what's coming to them. They are terrible people and these animals need our protection. The poachers will find an elephant/rhino and remove their tusks leaving the animal in massive pain before it dies. It's gotten so bad, because of the high $$ for the tusks, that wildlife refuges have begun to saw off the tusks off the animals so the poachers won't have anything to harvest, therefore leaving the animal alone. They are armed thugs who will cut down anyone in their way.

Feeling bad that these poachers died in a gun fight is the same as feeling bad for a Mexican Cartel gang member dying in a police shootout.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
However I think this is a terrible situation where humans are actually killing other humans to protect animals. I find this wrong on many levels.

Agreed on this. It's sad to see that for so many idiots, animals are more important then humans.
Humans shouldn't kill other humans (unless there's a very good reason like rapists or mass murderers), because that drops us down to the level of dumb animals...
edit on 21/4/2012 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

No, these poachers got what's coming to them. They are terrible people and these animals need our protection. The poachers will find an elephant/rhino and remove their tusks leaving the animal in massive pain before it dies. It's gotten so bad, because of the high $$ for the tusks, that wildlife refuges have begun to saw off the tusks off the animals so the poachers won't have anything to harvest, therefore leaving the animal alone. They are armed thugs who will cut down anyone in their way.

Feeling bad that these poachers died in a gun fight is the same as feeling bad for a Mexican Cartel gang member dying in a police shootout.

i don't know if they are terrible people. maybe they are doing all they can to try and feed their family.

cant agree with your sentiments.

i will always try and help /protect animals but no one should be killed over an animal.

5 humans are dead for trying to kill some animals. yet we have production lines set up that kill insane numbers of animals every day of the week.

this makes no sense.

we have to examine why we feel the way we do about animals. we are very much conditioned in todays society to have huge sympathy for them. I can't help feeling part of this is down to the advertising community. look at how many products now use animals to sell you products that have nothing to do with animals.

we must respect animals but this does not mean we put them before our fellow man.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I agree. We should only kill animals we are going to eat. I do support medical testing on animals prior to human testing, but make up and other such chemicals I do not support their testing on animals. I don't seriously oppose it either though.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I think this is a terrible situation where humans are actually killing other humans to protect animals. I find this wrong on many levels.

If a human is willing to surrender his life to save an animal that is their decision. I do not believe that a human has the right to take a life of another human to keep an animal alive.

Wat in the article made you conclude they were killed for poaching and not for instigating a gun battle with authorities?

The article offers very few details, so I'm curious how you come to such a solid conclusion.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
To be fair it didn't sound like an execution, the article says it was a gun battle.

So if they were unarmed and if they weren't chopping up elephants they'd probably still be alive.

No sympathy for them , sorry.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

Wildlife rangers have shot dead five suspected ivory poachers during a gun battle in western Kenya.

Two rangers were hurt during the battle in West Pokot county, said officials from Kenya's Wildlife Service (KWS).

They said 50kg (110lb) of elephant tusks and AK-47 rifles were recovered.

Kenya has recently taken a more aggressive stance against poaching as it combats a surge in demand for ivory from Asia in spite a long-standing ban on the international trade.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I am all for animal rights. I despise how most animals are simply on a food production line. I hate to see animal abuse. I have a thread up here about how they rich can pay to shoot big game.

The rich can pay to kill large animals. However if you are poor and need to do whatever it takes to get money including killing a large animal because some idiot will pay big money for part of it, you should not be excuted for trying to do so.
Some will use the excuse that the poachers were armed. However the very fact that both rangers and poachers are willing to die over an animal just demonstrates how silly this is.

I would say we should kill or deport all people who make money on this and I mean make it a death sentance in all country to handle this or put them in a jungle island somewhere without anything and leave them to their fate if it is starvation or death by wild animals. That will destroy the market quickly. To hell with parasitic humans who only cause suffering. I do not care anymore for people who cannot rise above their conditoning or curcomstances. No more stupid justifications about how sad it is for the people. They could have chosen another way and they deserve whatever karma they get. Karma is a bitch and go after the people who pay for the animal parts if you wanna save the stupid poachers.

I am so tired of this stupid idea that humans are so special and deserve to destroy everything else that exists for their greed. When nature is gone it will be nice to eat money (numbers in cyberspace) to feed you.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

i don't know if they are terrible people. maybe they are doing all they can to try and feed their family.

cant agree with your sentiments.

i will always try and help /protect animals but no one should be killed over an animal.

5 humans are dead for trying to kill some animals. yet we have production lines set up that kill insane numbers of animals every day of the week.

this makes no sense.

we have to examine why we feel the way we do about animals. we are very much conditioned in todays society to have huge sympathy for them. I can't help feeling part of this is down to the advertising community. look at how many products now use animals to sell you products that have nothing to do with animals.

we must respect animals but this does not mean we put them before our fellow man.

There are humans and then there are humans. Some humans are so far below on the acceptable behaviour scale that the might as well be a completly different species. We are conditioned in this society to be greedy and egoistic. Having sympathy and empathy is counterproductive to that and shows how screwed up our economic system is. I will put a true enlightened human before any animal. But a human who cannot rise above ego and behave deserve whatever karma he/she gets. Do not really matter, the poachers will get another chance to evolve in their next life. Death is only another phase of evolution anyway. With gods sense of humor they will probably be born as elephants.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've seen plenty of documentaries on poaching and the best way to deal with poachers is to make an arrest, it is a greater deterrant being locked up in a dodgy prison than just dying. The park rangers would have tried to make an arrest and I'm in no doubt the poachers started a firefight to save themselves. The rest is history.....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Not to take away from this post but at first i read iit as "Kenny Rogers shoots dead five suspected poachers" So funny

But ya, good on the rangers. I hope they get 10 tomorrow, and 50 the day after.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Im sorry but the poachers deserved it.. end of... let that be a message to others thinking about.. u could be shot dead... scum bags!!!

jay

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

oh really, hold up a lizard and my son, tell me which I feel is more valuable, and if you think for one moment the lizard doesn't get it then you are one deluded hallion

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retikx
Not to take away from this post but at first i read iit as "Kenny Rogers shoots dead five suspected poachers"

Clearly, these poachers did not know when to hold em and when to fold em.

secondline

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
YAY!
give him more wepons.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Poacher's kill Rangers and civilians all the time.An armed, violent criminal is a rifle target where ever they should be found.They are a threat they are agreeing to die by taking up a weapon to oppose law.If patriots are made into criminals then I will fall under that same category.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join