It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrity worship and why the west is so stupid?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fxtrademark

Keep in mind that the statistics fall right in line with the statistics that for every intelligent child born, there are 10 losers. There are quite a few like me who don't even watch TV, we don't judge people by how much money they made or what stupid movie they were in. To me, people like the guys on Jersey Shore are the epitome of pathetic stupidity personified, and that goes for most celebrities, as far as I'm concerned, although there are always exceptions to the rule, such as Al Pacino, Danny Glover (came out to Occupy LA to talk to the protestors), Tom Morello, etc. I think that celebrity culture is just a way to keep one side of the paradigm (the sheep) completely asleep to the real issues of the world, while the other side of the paradigm (the co-opted anti-establisment) complains about that side's lack of intelligence/taste, while also not looking at the real issues at hand. In short, it's a great way to keep the right hand separated from the left, and to keep them both from looking at what the brain is doing.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Only in the west? I think if you include sport celebrity worship, you will find it exists in most of the world. Frankly, I find sports fans to be far more obsessed by their idols than those that follow Hollywood celebrities.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I hate the whole celeb culture to, most females I know are obsessed with celebs in one way or another and if I ask why they think it is down to jealousy. It is like once a TV camera has pointed at you all of a sudden millions of people care about what you have to say or think you are the most amazing person on the planet. It is kind of sad really but I only see it growing worse, even politicians are now turning into celebs.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Come on, who doesn't like flashing colors?

It seems it is human nature to idolize certain people. That is why the chief,king,queen,shaman is always wearing special costumes.
edit on 22-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I hear you.
Back in the day these actors on TV wouldn't even get a look in. In fact they wouldn't even get a bit-part in a 3rd rate game show.

You had to actually of done something worthwhile.
This is the dark age we are in and things get more degenerative and grotesque as TV values continue to fall.

They only have as much power as you give them...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambros56

Mt wife and daughters love the Kardash' whatever's......it's friggin crazy !

Not to judge or be cynical, but you can stand that? If my wife or kids were acting like that I'd have to call a family meeting and possibly hire a hypnotist.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
I don't get it. Australians think they have it all figured out, yet they're so far detached from the rest of the world on an island nobody cares about, they mistake ideas for facts.. It's a mental illness actually that develops from lack of outside contact from others. Often times the only contact involves kangaroos in the garden. Sometimes it's a relative like say your brother aboriginal bill, or sister spearme nancy. But most of the time it's building thatch huts in a desert of a nuclear wasteland picking at bugs to eat.

See what I did there? Just as ridiculous as everything you've said.

edit on 21-4-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

You seem to have taken offence. Why is that?

He didn't target the USA specifically, so why are you targeting Australia? His claims (which are for the most part, true) are much more believable and factually based than your claims.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Great post about the celebrity culture. I don't think we should just contain ourselves to the West - it is part of the human make up to laud these celebrities.

One of the responses suggested that this is a modern day phenomenon caused by the TV and how our brain fills in the gaps.They could be right but I don't think there is a conspiracy here except that we never tested the TV for it psychological power before it hit the market (how could we test this type of thing).

The question is - is this a modern phenomenon. If you really look into e.g. Roman history,you will find all the emotions and status in that day and age that is here today. I remember seeing a program that suggested that the Gladiators had a similar superstar status. Likewise, there was lots of scandal and gossip with the Roman Emperors.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

The media here spends more time on celebrity news than real world news. They even have news segments devoted only for entertainment news. When I was growing up, they left all that entertainment news to the check-out tabloids. Now the news in the U.S. uses entertainment news to distract us from the real issues facing Americans and the world.

Without the internet, Americans would be left in the dark.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
ONE DIRECTION WILL RULE THE WORLD!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
movie stars which don't add any real value to the planet are worth (some of them) tens of millions or more.............go figure.

And most people here on ATS say that is okay, fine, they are worth it.

I give up.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I think it's more generational than conspiratorial. The entertainment industry/media are gonna give the people what they want because that's what makes money. It wasn't that long ago when investigative journalism was all over the place and there were great shows like MASH and good comedies like Happy Days. And I was exposed to a lot of music that was innovative via MTV when they actually played music. This generation is lazier, self-serving and more narcissistic than any previous. But the pendulum will always swing especially with the great recession. Celebrities will always be admired and gossiped about, however, it would be nice if people were talking about the ones with actual talent and not all these reality fame whores.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
movie stars which don't add any real value to the planet are worth (some of them) tens of millions or more.............go figure.

And most people here on ATS say that is okay, fine, they are worth it.

I give up.

They are not worth anything to me. Same with pro athletes. They are the most overpaid people on the planet. The people pay there salaries by worshiping them and it is really sad to me. Why not look up to great minds, philosophers, writers, inventors etc. It is a back-words ass society.
edit on 22-4-2012 by shamaniski because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well I haven't noticed people in my area paying too much attention to celebrities. The media pays a lot of attention on certain channels which I never watch. I believe the media coverage is obsessive on certain channels. However I rarely turn those channels on and I don't know of too many who watch those channels. I thought maybe it was a California thing plus maybe a few females here and there who pay attention. There are probably a few celebrities out there in the US that I wouldn't even recognize if I were talking to them. I skimmed over some of the comments on here. I believe the Kardashians is some kind of tv show isn't it? I'm not sure since I never saw it. It sounds like something out of Star Trek but it's probably not related is it? I would recognize Star Trek celebrities. I have talked to a couple of them. As far as what they are doing, I wouldn't have a clue.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

A lot of celebrities are over paid attention whores who don't deserve what they got, and people worship them because of that

The brain surgeon who sucessfully removes a childs brain tumor, the plastic surgeon who gives a disfigured person their face back...these types of gifted individuals are the true heroes who deserve the attention, honor and hefty paychecks for their outstanding work, and their are many more like them! These high-priced egotistical entertainers might make people happy for what they do, but it is short-lived and not worth the excessive amount of attention and money they receive! This is an old argument, but remains true to its' reasoning.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Celebrity-dum is just a small aspect of mind manipulation and control. Keep the people entertained and they don't even want to think about reality. Hello....remember......Illuminati. Many entertainers are 'handled.' Yes, be a good little sheep and keep watching your TV and working hard to buy all the stuff you think you need.
Gotta' wonder--what would people actually be like if there were no media (TV, news, etc) to tell and show us how to act and think. ?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's the medias fault, not the so called 'celebs' the media is too stupid to report on real matters that actually have substance and meaning in the world. It's an easier job for them to report about lady gaga bending over to pick something up or justin beiber picking his nose, their bloody useless.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by libertytoall
I don't get it. Australians think they have it all figured out, yet they're so far detached from the rest of the world on an island nobody cares about, they mistake ideas for facts.. It's a mental illness actually that develops from lack of outside contact from others. Often times the only contact involves kangaroos in the garden. Sometimes it's a relative like say your brother aboriginal bill, or sister spearme nancy. But most of the time it's building thatch huts in a desert of a nuclear wasteland picking at bugs to eat.

See what I did there? Just as ridiculous as everything you've said.

edit on 21-4-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

You seem to have taken offence. Why is that?

He didn't target the USA specifically, so why are you targeting Australia? His claims (which are for the most part, true) are much more believable and factually based than your claims.

Ok.. Maybe this will prove my point.

Australia is not immune to retardation.. Stop acting as if you are better than the west. You are no different when it comes to celebrity madness yet very different when it comes to having an open mind. I'm thankful I don't have to live in Australia that's for sure.. You take our sloppy seconds all the time and then worship it yourselves.
edit on 24-4-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well, its all apart of the governments plan. We, the people, stop caring about things that are really important and replace them for things that seem to matter, but really don't. & Honestly, its easy to fall victim to if your not aware of it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
America is a weird place.

But, the universe loves novelty. Everything has its season. Everything has its place in the grand harmonic symphony of opposites.

So don't judge. Accept, love, forgive, detach.

edit on 2-8-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join