It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrity worship and why the west is so stupid?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Im not going to reveal where im from, but i currently live in australia.
When i refer to the "west" i refer to the english speaking countries, not continental europe, since they are clearly a few generations ahead.
The average person in the west watches roughly 6-7 hours of TV as opposed to less than 1 hour in europe, and germany's biggest TV network is sought of public access.

But Its something ive noticed, in mainly "english speaking" countries such as the usa, aus, the uk or nz (although to a lesser extent), is their obsession with celebrities and the fact that these folks wear stupidity as if it were a medal of honour.

Whats up with the celebrity conscious culture. I read sometime ago that 1 in 3 people of the mentioned nations are obsessed with celebrities. The same report said that 1 in 10 was obsessed to the point of being almost psychotic, willing to stalk their favorite celebrity.Sometimes, I don't know who the media is talking about. I haven't even heard of the celebrities they are reporting on. Everybody else seems obsessed with them but I wouldn't recognize them if I stood next to them in a supermarket check-out line or saw their faces on the covers of all the magazines!

In the scheme of things, celebrities are essentially irrelevant people. Yet, many newspapers, magazines, tv networks, and websites treat them as if they are more important than economics, and foreign/national events.

Having a passing interest in celebrity news is a form of escapism, but the American media has made it a constant part of the 24/7 news cycle. Many networks (like Fox and American Idol) create news by making their reality tv programs into featured stories. The result? A population that is clueless for the most part about how their government works, the economy, and world events but knows every sordid detail about the personal lives of many celebrities.

But its a 2 way thing, why is it physically impossible for people mainly in the west to turn of the TV or just stop doing things and idolizing stupid people? jersey etc.

What im trying to discuss is, could this be general conspiracy?
From the so called TPTB to make people stupid?
If it was, then why isnt continental europe really affected by this?
Or is america just some sought of testing ground for these schemes before the rest of the world experience their same ignorance?
edit on 21-4-2012 by fxtrademark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fxtrademark

You can tie all of this to the ego. The way in which we are viewing ourselves...

The US (I am from) is VERY identified with the physical world. In a way that is more so here than I think in most places what a person has defines who a person is. This means that if a person does not have he is not viewed as somebody who is worthy. This means that we do not care if a person is happy or free or peaceful or actually enjoying his life. We only care if that person has a job or money or a family or a college degree. This is what we value because this is what we use to define who a person is.

It is absurd yes but people do not even realize that this is what they do. When we value having, having more and having the most (the ego) over peace and joy and happiness and freedom this is what we are going to idolize or worship. Not peace. Not honor. Not love. Not enjoying life. God not that! LOL but HAVING. fame, power, stuff, money, sex, you name it.

So it isn't really about stupidity. It is about ignorance. And it can be tied to the ego. And really it is something that we can all learn from. The U.S I think has mastered this in every sense of the word but it can be applied to most people in one way or another (the ego I mean).

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
(Living in Amerika)

I have always thought of the US as the red-headed step-children of the world.

We are blatantly lied to about a myriad of things that others around the world get to be privy to.

We are given 'shiney' things to play with to keep our minds off of important topics.

Problem in the government? Add a reality TV show. Ooooo Pretty

I could list example after example, but they are pretty easy to locate.

Did you know, that in Amerika aliens (ET's or local) don't exist. If you say they do, you're crazy. Yet, in many other countries, sightings are taken VERY seriously and often logged by police officers.

That's just a tiny example. It spills over into all aspects of life.

Also, while I have a Netflix subscription ($8/month) I rarely, if ever turn the TV on, but most people I know rarely turn it off.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
generalizing 100's of millions of people as stupid on the internet

priceless

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I live in America. I rarely watch tv. It's all crap. There are many like me, but you are correct, there are more celebrity worshipers. It's something I'll never understand. And yes, it is most definitely intentional.

What you failed to mention is the overflow. Many of these other countries have lots of people obsessed with America's celebrities.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I don't get it. Australians think they have it all figured out, yet they're so far detached from the rest of the world on an island nobody cares about, they mistake ideas for facts.. It's a mental illness actually that develops from lack of outside contact from others. Often times the only contact involves kangaroos in the garden. Sometimes it's a relative like say your brother aboriginal bill, or sister spearme nancy. But most of the time it's building thatch huts in a desert of a nuclear wasteland picking at bugs to eat.

See what I did there? Just as ridiculous as everything you've said.

edit on 21-4-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It makes me sick.
It seems to be everywhere.

What makes me mad is that people accept that these celebrities deserve the obscene amount of money they get paid.
From sports to TV, Film and Music stars.
They get paid a huge amount and they certainly don't deserve it but people accept it and adore them for having these mansions etc.

Mt wife and daughters love the Kardash' whatever's......it's friggin crazy !

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

(Australia)

They know, that if they flash these celebs into our faces enough times,eventually we will become interested.

The goal here is to keep us busy with what Madonna was wearing, rather than actually knowing what is going on in the world.
It is a sort of dumbing affect to keep people occupied with silly things. I know what you mean about celebrity gossip now even being on the news.

''Yes it's terrible in this part of the world right now, BUT here's Jessica Simpson snapping out at some photographer''.

It is a diversion. They show you these people with money, glamour... materialism, and people want that. Frankly people want it. Eventually it does turn into an obsession, people start to focus more on being materialistic like the people they see on tv, rather than looking at what is important.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Nicely put

I agree. It's an alarming fact. Here in Canada, it's the same thing. I guess it's easier to peer at life through a screen. Luckily, I couldn't stand commercials so much that I wasn't able to justify paying for television.

Sadly, I must stare at a screen for work, but when I get home, it's all analog.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
(Canada) I dont think America is the only one. Majority of my friends are from Korea, Japan and China, trust me they are more celebrity crazy.

But the same can be said about people all around the world. It has nothing to do with the country you are from.
Every diner I have been to so far in my life, I noticed that the subject of conversation is either what happened in the news or to some celebrity.

I cant explain it but people dont seem to be to interested in them self, celebrities seem to be viewed as "better" or more "special" than the rest, when in fact they are just like the rest of the people on this planet just with different interest.

In my opinion, people who talk and obsess about other peoples life's are not "stupid" or anything negative. I think a lot of people dont like to think for them self and like that there is a system that can do it for them, like school, government or news etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
People worshiping people who pretend they are someone whom they are not.
Hmmm.

Funny thing is, I see celebrities on TV, I have no idea who they are, what show they are on, nothing.
Don't know if it's because I don't watch much TV or I just don't care.
One of those.

Of what use are the Kardashians?
Are they famous for being famous or something?

A lot of celebrities are over paid attention whores who don't deserve what they got, and people worship them because of that,
because with a little luck, that can be them.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm going to explain why this occurs and it won't be the usual rant against the stupid drones etc.

The introduction of external images shown to the eyes in the form of filmed or recorded "stories" is brand new to our experience on earth. We have about 100 years of it, and in reality only about 50 year of it on mass via tv, film etc., that within thousands of years of life without it.

Why is this fact important? Prior to the introduction of the external image, we got our most important spiritual information and connection via internal visions. We'd sit and meditate and a "vision" of some kind would direct us, guide us, or share with us and we, as a whole, view the vision as both godly and factual. The external image presented in film is the equivalent of a vision.

If we look at the way indigenous people are quickly drawn to the flickering image on a tv we can assume it isn't because the want to know what is happening with the khardashians. They are drawn to the vision - the stream of images that mimic their internal visions, though they don't really see it this way per se. So the tv image, the filmed image, is a vision and the stories, the people the flickering light is our real time vision instead of the old school internal vision we used to rely on.

Now, the key to understanding how it really works is to understand that what you are seeing on a recorded image is NOT a true seamless stream. It is a series of single frames, still photos, strung together. Why does this matter? If you look at a 1 foot section of film you really won't have much of an idea of what is going, but if we move the stills fast enough your brain will fill in the blanks! When it fills in the blanks it fills in the story, when it fills in the story you give validity to the vision because in essence you have constructed it! View a series of 60 frames per second images and then view an actual live theater performance - notice anything different? Notice the "worship" of theater people is far less then the worship of film people - the key here is theater is a performance that relies on the skill of the actors, while film relies on the vision skill of the viewer!

So, to conclude. The populace has the notion of vision streaming in its collective as a foundation for spiritual understanding - this goes back to day one on the planet. The filmed image vision system exploits this long standing tradition by using the viewers ability to fill in the blanks between images - making them a full participant in the interpretation of the vision, and elevating those images seen as visions. The Khardashians are "visions" by virtue of the system used to bring them into each home.

What I conclude from this is that would we not have the filmed vision reality as our dominant form of connection to the vision system, our vision skills at this point in our evolution would be STUNNING.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My opinion is that this truly is a conspiracy by the powers that be.

I think that they are trying to "shrink" our brains by not giving us material to train and use then thus, just like an untrained muscle, it becomes smaller and smaller.

And to distract us ofcourse...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
celebrities are politically expedient. they are money makers, they serve as a distraction, or the main show for the distraction.

there are many conspiracies compartmentalized with the celebrity sphere of influence, they can be used any which way for whatever reasons our benefactors need them to.

and when they are all used up for what they were needed, they are thrown out and left on their own accord.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
chill ..just don't watch it..

you can't think for everyone...people have their own goals in life ...some more than others

it is what it is

my girlfriend is a x factor ,big brother nut...

but she calls me a conspiracy nut ...

who's the nut?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm from Greece and the same thing happens here.If you ask a random person on the street what the X celebrity ate for breakfast or who is screwing who,they will tell you in a heartbeat.But if you ask them what happens in Syria or in Palestine,they will propably look at you like you are an alien.

I admire a lot of actors and singers,usually those who you don't listen about in the MSM,but i don't care if they change lovers like shirts.I care about their work.

I studied to be an actress because i love theater and cinema.In my first working year i gave up,when my agent started telling me to attend parties,idiotic shows etc.All i wanted was to play in the theater,but he wanted to make me a celebrity.I tried a second agent and the same thing happened.So i gave up on my dream,because of this #ty system.
It's one thing to become known because of your work and another thing to become a famous person for no particular reason.

The main reason that they create idols and make people worship celebrities is to distruct them from real problems.They bombard you all day with gossip and so many trivial information that when the real news come up the brain is so loaded with crap that can't understand a single thing.
The second thing is control.Through all those celebrities they control your taste in clothes,in food,in everything.People don't understand that mind control is a very easy process.All it takes is a hot chick/guy doing something(wearing a new hairstyle or dress or whatever)and the next morning you see their clones everywhere.

As for the everyday people that go nuts when they see a "famous" person.MSM has taught them how they MUST behave .You must scream and make them feel important.You must run and talk to them and hug them and do the craziest thing to get their attention.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I don't think there is a conspiracy behind it as such. The whole idea of making "celebrities" out of TV/Movie and sports people is really just another industry by which to generate wealth. Probably 99% of entertainment is driven by advertisement revenue.
Yes its extreme, but like any industry that is generating massive profits, you can expect them to continue in their efforts to generate more and more profit. Its a business, not a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

There are a few actors that I truly admire, Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Mel Gibson, to name a few but as for shows like American Idol etc.. I could give a F**K

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I suspect all of this has been going on for hundreds of years?

We've always had heroes, always had stories, and now we build web sites instead of statues. I don't think it's anything particularly culture driven or unique to Americans. I agree with other sentiments in the thread similar to this one.

There does seem to be an awful lot of generalising about American and western culture these days. To be honest, it bothers me how quickly Western populations are to get romantic about every single culture other than their own. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side no?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Worship of some talented Celebrity in the west or worship of something like an Ayatollah in the east...Well I guess there is dumb and then there is dumber...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join