It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Our Future Will Look Like

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hello everyone,

I have just came across this video and found that it struck a cord with me, so i thought that i would share it with all of you. I believe that the possibility of having full or partial robotic soldiers present on the battlefield and possibly also for martial law is high in the somewhat near future. Lets face it, we know what Honda Motor Co have accomplished in this video below. But soon as we have a tighter grasp on Quantum electronics it will be inevitable that what i mentioned above will become reality. The main video of interest shows a highly advanced computer CGI of a Robotic soldier performing such tasks that the Americans are now performing in the Middle East. What are all of your thoughts?

This is the CGI video in question.

USA's Humanoid Robot PETMAN

Honda's ASIMO humanoid Robot below, the above CGI video doesn't seem to far away. Truly Fascinating.

And just for fun

edit on 21-4-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I always find it funny no one seems to raise any serious Moral Objection to Drone war fare...

War is supposed to cost, its part of the deterrent to go to war, IF the US has a Mechanized army that can march its troops anywhere in the world with out risking anything other than the financial cost of the Drones...

I gotta say other countries are not going to like it, they already dont, this could end up being the new Nuclear arms race, who can build the terminator first.

As for the police one, well maybe we will stop seeing the police beat the crap outta civilians when its a drone that doesnt have personal rage issues... gotta start working on the home emp though...
edit on 21-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Some member posted the other day of wanting to make his own hand held EMP device... Man, does that seem like a great idea now.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Those are cool videos. Thanks for posting.

PETMAN was truly impressive, but Honda's ASIMO robot walks like he's been constipated for 2 weeks.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Funny thing about the Honda one, the reason its so small is people kept getting freaked out by the human size one, they kept shrinking it until people felt comfortable with a Child sized one.

Also does it seem smart to anyone that we make these robots able to run faster than us? the already have stamina against us, do we really need to give them speed too.

And last thought on this matter, remember all those threads about martial law, and how US soldiers wouldn't obey certain orders... Well these machines will.
edit on 21-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

The 1st video is a classic.
It was made by Neil Blokamp who also made the film "District 9."

Sadly not as far from the near future as it may seem IMO.
They already have an early prototype patrolling the prisons of South Korea:

phys.org...

OK it has no proper legs,or guns yet,but give it 10 years..
They do have robo sentry guns in the same country guarding the border with the North.

The computer in that machine determines if you are friend or foe-and kills you with bullets if you are the latter.
The computer DECIDES if you live or die.

www.technovelgy.com...
That is the start of something very scary indeed,if it goes mainstream.

Samsung are the company behind the sentry gun project BTW-you know,the company who are putting cameras in your next gen televisions-to watch you as you watch TV...

The rise of the machines is upon us.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow these videos are very impressive. I wonder if we will be able to marry robots in the future, and have more than one! I am pretty sure the quantity is limited to how many robot wives one person can have.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I am thinking that they will get as all accepting of the idea that robots know best via the self drive car route...
They will bang on for years that accident rates are down,lives have been saved etc.
That will slowly bring folks round to the idea that computers make better decisions than humans,then they will hit us with robot cops.killer drones for gangs,A.I.court systems and the like.

Those self drive cars are being tested for use now...
Just watch.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I owned a robosapien V2 a few years ago.

Among some boring basic tasks, It farts and burps.

I think entertainment is a much more likely future trend for robots than warfare.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
when humans get an idea, we will do anything to accomplish it.
some guy imagined robots at some point years and years ago, if only he could see what his thought has become.
I don't know if he'd have the same love in that tech if he knew what it could be used for now,

unless thats the primary acheivement for a living species, to create a synthetic species to do your bidding for you.

coupled with AI in the near future, or at least some very well thought out programming,
these things will become an accessory in our daily lives.

but we must be able to turn them off at a moments notice. there is no telling what they would be capable of once they started running their own programming or assembling their own armies.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
And people ask why iran should have nuclear weapons...

Please, even the most destabalised nations amongst the world deserve nuclear weapons when i see concepts like this.

I read this in another thread:

"The highly anticipated thread about why I am voting for Mitt Romney:

A few bullet points to get your minds going...

Mitt Romney believes that it is unacceptable for Iran to possess a nuclear weapon. "

I can't even begin to fathom the logic

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

The filthy hypocrite.... Who died and made him the decision maker of who has nuclear weapons and who doesn't.

Also, the post about robots being the ones to police and kill us reminds me of the plot iRobot.
edit on 7-5-2012 by SonofLeod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
As tech advances, so will robotics, and sooner than later, we'll have Datas (Star Trek TNG.) running around, doing all the things we don't want to do anymore. It really is iRobot, I know, but already, we can see the world heading in this direction.

As for the statement we wouldn't use these advanced bots in war, I don't see why we wouldn't. I mean, sure, at first, when they cost a mint to make, we'll keep em' in reserve, just like we did drones. But as we get better at building the, and find more cost effective solutions, it's only a matter of time before robots are building robots., as they do our cars right now.

And think about it, with that GPS and all those other fancy chips in your car, it's already pretty much a manned droid. Sure, you make the decisions in the end, but it's maintaining trajectory, monitoring status, etc. etc. How much longer before your just a passenger in your own automobile?

This partly excites me, as it would be cool to build a utopia that allowed humans to focus on wants, and no longer deal with any needs (such as farming, construction, etc.).

Then I realize as humans, we're so prone to self destruction, that all we're really doing is building our replacements. And that idea scares the hell out of me.

new topics

top topics

join