It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really well spoken.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This is to not clutter up another thread as I do not wish to go off topic. But in this thread I would like to discuss proper English and what "real spoke" has to do with it.

Real Spoke.

Verb and adjective or verb and noun.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Rather interesting question you pose sir.

A spoke can also be part of a wheel.

vvv

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If "real" is the name of someone than I am incorrect in my assertion Here.

This came about in another thread on the discussion on another members username but I figure this will be a good place for us all to throw out our English...

As I know mine isn't the best.

How good is your English?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by boncho

Rather interesting question you pose sir.

A spoke can also be part of a wheel.

vvv

You know, I hadn't even considered. And in that, there could be a very real spoke and a very fake spoke.

I hate English...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Lol, a thread. Jeah, let´s speak on spoke.

For real.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by boncho

Lol, a thread. Jeah, let´s speak on spoke.

For real.

I appreciate your post in the other thread* because I was very simple minded when I first considered the combination of "real spoke".

Even if not intended to be what it is, it is possible that a number of meanings can come from the two words. This makes me sit back and wonder what damn language I have been speaking all this time... And also, what the heck have I been hearing?

Have I been hearing the wrong meanings?

edit on 21-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
LOL @ this thread

This is my theory on it so far.

A sentence needs a verb and a noun to be considered complete.

Say that a persons name is "Real". I could make the sentence "Real Spoke."

Similar to the famous sentence structure of "Jesus wept." in the bible. This would be a complete sentence, or am I wrong?

www.merriam-webster.com...

past & archaic past participle of speak

A complete sentence must have a subject (noun) and a predicate (verb). It can be just two words, such as, She ran. Get crazy and add an adverb, She ran quickly.

answers.ask.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I wouldn´t dwell on it.

Like I said, as a word, Realspoke doesn´t really make sense, realspeak wouldn´t even, cause there is no such thing as THE speak. Realspeech would.

I wondered about it too I have to say, the first times I saw his name.

If the person is called Real it would make sense, but I honestly don´t think that was what he had in mind.
edit on 21-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

Btw, I do think that Realspoke sounds good. Catchy.

Like VVV said, if it is meant as spoke if a wheel it would make sense, grammatically. Good one.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Again I starred your post. Funny you should show up here.

I am curious if you intended "real" to be a noun in your username.

As in, you are "real" and that is your name. In which case it is a noun and you are quite real and you surely spoke.

I must say though, realspoke, because of all the debate about your username you really have made me think about English and for that I thank you. Someday I want to be a wordsmith but it will never happen unless people like you throw out little problems like this and spark the interest that is so easily lost in our language.

You are almost as annoying as a homophone.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Is that that number you call to get into contact with guys?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

I was gonna make it RealSpeak but then I wanted to be a rebel
But that doesn't even make sense either.

It's just kind of interesting to see how different people can see a phrase and get a complete different meaning from it
edit on 21-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

And as another mentioned, a real spoke, (like the spoke of a bike) is very real and not fake. Real speech or really well spoken, would both be in place of the context we interpreted. But! As a writer I think everything is up to interpretation and in that case, the creator of the name (realspoke) doesn't have to explain themselves.

They previously stated that a noun and a verb make a sentence (in regards to realspoke) so that would leave us with the impression that real is a noun and spoke is a verb or vice versa.

In which case it is either a very real spoke, or a man named real that said something.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

I was gonna make it RealSpeak but then I wanted to be a rebel

It's just kind of interesting to see how different people can see a phrase and get a complete different meaning from it

That's the beauty of the English language. And also so important why you lump certain words with others. But no matter the intention, I do thank you for letting me ponder it tonight as it made me think about the common words I use everyday.

I should mention, that a few hundred years ago, people spent a long time thinking about what they would write before it was inked and delivered on horseback. The way the digital world is now I think we have lost that and it's much easier to toss words together without considering the meaning. And that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Let´s poke and peak at spoke and speak.

@ Realspoke, you did good, it sounds catchier than Realspeak.

Btw, bad grammar by me, it should be you did well, lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Is that that number you call to get into contact with guys?

I almost didn't get that...

But check my sig to figure out what it means.. You tend to talk on that phone after you first wake up in the morning or if you are writing late at night.

If you don't believe me, try writing 10,000 words a half hour after you wake up and tell me about all the homos in it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Lol, I had already looked it up before I made the joke. Although the word is pretty self explanatory. The same sound.

Btw, with you I meant you in general, wasn´t directed at you just so you know. Not that it would matter.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Real speak is very close to "real talk" which is something I hear very often from my Coolie friends. I know it is not going to be used in English Lit anytime soon but I do think it has a pretty good meaning behind it. In a few decades or so it may be assimilated into common English, who knows...

But now you gave away your intention of realspoke, in which case, I must say, you sir, have shoddy English.

Don't worry, that makes two of us.

Or too of us....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Lol, I had already looked it up before I made the joke. Although the word is pretty self explanatory. The same sound.

Btw, with you I meant you in general, wasn´t directed at you just so you know. Not that it would matter.

Not at all. I am much more happy if people are singling me out...

So I will continue to believe it was for "me" and not a generalized "you".

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well, just so you know, you are probably my favorite person to single out on this forum.

And you are cool about it, I like it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Aww shucks.... With that kind thought, I'm going to hug the lady that I paid to be next to me tonight.

Love is in the air....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join