It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Water from Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
So, I'm surprised I couldn't find anything about this in the search function... If its there, then I guess this thread is redundant...

...but, I've always had a soft spot for the Dune Universe. For those of you who don't know what it is:

Dune is a science fiction franchise that originated with the 1965 novel Dune by Frank Herbert. Considered by many to be the greatest science fiction novel of all time, Dune is frequently cited as the best-selling science fiction novel in history.

(source)

In Dune, the local desert dwellers (called Fremen) use something called a "Wind Trap" to extract water from the desert winds.

Now, living in Africa, I've had to go through a couple of droughts in my lifetime already - so even though I live in a suburban area (yep, we have them here) and have been less exposed to the effects than farmers and people in the rural areas, there's always that lingering concern about when the next one is going to hit.

However, it turns out that wherever you have wind - you can get water. A company called Eole has developed a wind turbine that extracts water from the humidity in the air. From their site:

Earth atmosphere is full filled with humidity. It is a very important capacity of natural water: 13000km3. Eole Water has created an innovative technology capable of transforming this humidity into drinking water.

This is achieved through a condenser with a moisture exchange surface equivalent to a meter wide and five kilometers long. It is equipped with a revolutionary food safe stainless steel quality alloy, specially adapted to the production of drinking water. It can sustain the process of creating water for decades, without risk of corrosion.

Secondly, the water flows through a five level water treatment system, including an ultraviolet filter, to make it perfectly safe to drink. The quality of water collected exceeds drinking water standards required by the World Health Organization.

The water production machine can collect up to 1500 liters of water per day depending on the climate.

This new technology can be considered as strongly linked to sustainable development as air, wind or sun are the only consumables. There is no CO² rejection, no drilling or groundwater pumping from water surface.

Cool, no?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Awesome invention. I'm glad it's finally come along. I had a quick peek at their webpage but didn't see a price list. What's the ballpark figure for one of these?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Is dehumidified water drinkable?

-George Noory

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
In relating news....

Artificial Photosynthesis Breakthrough: Fast Molecular Catalyzer
www.sciencedaily.com...

Researchers from the Department of Chemistry at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm, Sweden, have managed to construct a molecular catalyzer that can oxidize water to oxygen very rapidly. In fact, these KTH scientists are the first to reach speeds approximating those is nature's own photosynthesis. The research findings play a critical role for the future use of solar energy and other renewable energy sources.

and more importantly(subjective)...

Scientists Discover 'Switch' in Plants to Create Flowers
www.sciencedaily.com...

These findings suggest that FTIP1 is key to how flowering is controlled by light and imply that FTIP1, and genes similar to it, could be used as molecular markers for both classical plant breeding and for targeted genetic modification for desirable flowering traits, with the aim of increasing crop yields in changing environments.

Also, vertical farming will become the key to all of this IMO.

If humanity can just stick it out for 10 more years with out destroying themselves, we shall all live free and prosper. Science is moving so fast, people will be too busy advancing themselves and communities to be worried about some of the trivial things we distract ourselves with today.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Don't need high tech science.

It's called Fog Harvesting.

link

Giant mesh nets suspended on ridgelines intercept moving fog, and millions of water droplets trickle down into tanks that can be accessed by villagers. So far three communities in Eastern Nepal have benefited from this new technology, collecting as much as 5,000 litres of fresh water per day for drinking and sanitation.

a search on fog harvesting will lead you to more info.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Is dehumidified water drinkable?

-George Noory

I bought a dehumidifyer just for that reason, incase there was any long term contamination of water supplies etc.... I would put it in a room where no one was breathing around it though, cause the thought of drinkig my second hand bad breath makes me...... ewwwwww, blahhhhh.... I also have himalayan sea salt to add a little sole to it for minerals...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Don't need high tech science.

It's called Fog Harvesting.

link

Giant mesh nets suspended on ridgelines intercept moving fog, and millions of water droplets trickle down into tanks that can be accessed by villagers. So far three communities in Eastern Nepal have benefited from this new technology, collecting as much as 5,000 litres of fresh water per day for drinking and sanitation.

Just an update here, but this is still getting press. ENN

I never knew about the fog harvesting. It makes sense.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If my understanding is correct, ( and it may or may not be) This is what air conditioners do. They pull moisture out of the air and that makes it cooler. Ever had your air conditioners drain get clogged and have water dripping out of the back up pipe? Well, that's the moisture/water it pulled out of the air...

I can't imagine that water would be very clean though...

edit on 20-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join