It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Alert! customizeable Quake Alerting App for Android users (worldwide coverage)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I wasn't able to find this App mentioned on ATS. With all the quake activity I figured I would throw up a thread for those Android users interested.

I included the description from the site but the App has had a number of updates that are not included in the description below. It covers quakes world wide and allows for the user to customize alerts by location and magnitude with push notifications if preferred.

I have been using this App for some time and the developer has done some great work from it's early days and there are other customizations I didn't list. But best of all it is free!

Just search the Google Play Store (previously the Android Market) for Earthquake Alert! or click the link to the developer's site below.

Earthquake Alert! shows the latest Magnitude 3.0 and higher earthquakes from all over the U.S., including California, Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico areas. The earthquake data is from the USGS website: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Features:

*See latest earthquakes around the U.S.
*Filter to see just those around you
*Click on any quake to see it on the map
*View quakes on map with rings to signify magnitude
*View additional quake details on USGS site
*Orange icon highlights recent quakes

Developer's Site

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I use this App, I like it a lot.
I definitely recommend it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
S&F

Interesting but why androids and not iPods especially the 4th Gens. I searched for it on the App store on my iPod and it isn't listed, at least not the one you're talking about

I suppose it's only for androids but if someone finds the iPod version, please let me know

Good find though.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Can you make it only notify you of 6+? cause that would be really annoying to get alerts of 3.0 earthquakes in california every 10 seconds...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Can you make it only notify you of 6+? cause that would be really annoying to get alerts of 3.0 earthquakes in california every 10 seconds...

He brings up a good point. There probably is an option where you could set the level of earthquakes you would want to be notified for. In the app store on my iPod, one of the apps had that option but not sure if this one does or not because I don't have a freaking android

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Yes you can...in fact that's how mine is set 6.5+ worldwide with audible alerts muted from 10pm to 6am

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Sweet I'll definitely check it out then

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hmm, I'd use it on my mobile, but I use ATS for quake updates already, and if I'm out and about, I'd already be aware if I was to find myself in one.

To the guy asking what about Ipads etc?! Well, someone has to write it. Anyone can write android apps. It's not hard, many tuts for it. I'm assuming it would be similar for Ipads, but then, I've never had one of those expensive toys, and I know apple is propriety all the way, so.. forget apple, get android

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if you're an android, you never need a doctor again!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Ahh...but what if...a big one occurred somewhere, far enough away from you (not knowing your location of course) and though you could not feel the shaking, the mountain high impending tsunami that was to follow moving at 500 mph would affect you. But, alas, you were out and about and not utilizing the early notification of this App as to have a viable heads up to head to higher ground. You never know...

new topics

top topics

join