It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"ONE THIRD of USA is in Drought" - Meteorologist Says Severe DROUGHT - Water Rationing by Summer!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by stanguilles7

I'm saying your over blowing it, fear mongering it, and trying to make something out of nothing.

Live in the region first. Experience what is going on, instead of doing it from your arm chair.

You have no idea where I live or my level of familiarity with SC.

And I'm not 'fear mongering' when I point out verified statical data that shows the entire state is in a drought and has been for quite some time.

So, instead of offering anecdotes and personal insults, why not prove your case with data?

Show me there is no drought in SC.

edit on 21-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

I have a hard time believing the South East of the U.S. has serious long term drought problems, but the South West is screwed, and it is only going to get worse.

Anyone paying attention is probably aware of how much the weather has changed over the last couple of decades, and the rate of change is accelerating.

In other words, recent crazy weather events are only going to get worse.

I have a hard time believing Southeast US would be spared this crazy/erratic change in weather patterns:

there are only 2 states that are NOT already exp severe dry or drought conditions: Ohio & Alaska

and summer hasn't even anywhere near started yet.

apparently North Korea, UK and many other countries/regions are already facing drought conditions. this may be a Global trend, with already 90% of water being salty seawater, and almost 10% being frozen in extreme ice caps, the remaining 1% accessible fresh (but not necessarily clean) water is indeed somewhat 'running' out as we plunge deeper and deeper into significant widespread drought.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Outlawing wells? Making you sign onto city water?

Yeah, right.

here in Arizona there have been numerous wars over water over the years and if they try to take my well there will damn well be another one.

Water is life and they start messing with mine people will be shot......eventually me probably.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

Water is life and they start messing with mine people will be shot......eventually me probably.

Not the smartest thing to write on an online forum.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
its already illegal to collect rainwater, even a rainwater barrel catch in ur gutter for watering plants or washing ur driveway lol

absolute water supply control is part of Agenda 21 and we are seeing it unfold already maybe not full blown but the banning of wells is among the start...

enter Draconian water restrictions!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

It is not illegal to collect rainwater in every state.

Some states that have high levels of drought, like California for example, have rules against using giant collection ponds to gather water for agricultural purposes because those collection ponds prevent that water from replenishing aquifers.

But again, tons of people collect rainwater in barrels and the like. The enforcement is not there for that small of an issue. It concerns tens of thousands of gallons, not 50.

What a lot of people dont understand about aquifers is they cross property lines. So if your neighbor is depleting the reservoir you both share, he is stealing from you.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I went to the National Drought site, checked back every mid April to the year 2000, and basically, the drought areas just shift. A little more here, a little less there. Year to year, it's worse or better. Bottom line, it FLUCTUATES. I'm sure if someone went back further, they would see it even then. This year is bad, for certain areas, but next year might not be. In fact April 22, 2003 is like looking at a negative film strip for this current period. The “drys” are wet and the “wets” are dry. I don't see anything to be alarmed about except for the fact they're attempting to cap the wells and further force people to be dependant on the government for yet another basic necessity which nature already provides that the government can control and collect monies for. Let's face it. The government isn't known for it's conservative spending habits or it's responsible rationing of anything.

I also looked from week to week and in some periods, there is dramatic change in the graphics so I don't see reason for alarm yet. It changes from week to week. The other thing I thought of is, since the sea levels are rising so much due to the glacial ice melting,

www.psmsl.org...

Tide gauge records from around the world show that on average global sea level has been rising over the past few hundred years. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report (IPCC, 2007) concluded that global sea level had risen during the 20th century by approximately 1.7 ± 0.5 mm/yr, increasing to over 3.1 ± 0.7 mm/year in the 1990s. The 1993-2003 value was derived from satellite observations, but also has been confirmed by tide gauge measurements.

The Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) suggested 18-59 cm sea level rise by 2100 with an additional 10-20 cm on the upper limit associated with rapid dynamical changes in ice flow of the ice sheets [Meehl et al., 2007]. This range reflects different emission scenarios as well as uncertainties in the climate models and is the subject of ongoing research and debate.

combined with normal or high rainfall might be an even worse situation. And of course, we should all act responsibly with our natural resources.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
just one third?
I saw in the USA today a week or two ago that 61% were in drought conditions, and that 48 stats were abnormally dry.
maybe 1/3 are in a severe drought right now.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's news like this that make me SO happy I live in Michigan.
Don't worry, I'll share with you guys, just let me know...
edit on 21-4-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
After a bit more research, I did read this:

The following are 20 signs that dust bowl conditions will soon return to the heartland of America....

#1 The Ogallala Aquifer is being drained at a rate of approximately 800 gallons per minute.
#2 According to the U.S. Geological Survey, since 1940 "a volume equivalent to two-thirds of the water in Lake Erie" has been permanently lost from the Ogallala Aquifer.
#3 Decades ago, the Ogallala Aquifer had an average depth of approximately 240 feet, but today the average depth is just 80 feet. In some areas of Texas, the water is gone completely.
#4 Scientists are warning that nothing can be done to stop the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer. The ominous words of David Brauer of the Ogallala Research Service should alarm us all....
"Our goal now is to engineer a soft landing. That's all we can do."
#5 According to a recent National Geographic article, the average depletion rate of the Ogallala Aquifer is picking up speed....

Even more worrisome, the draining of the High Plains water account has picked up speed. The average annual depletion rate between 2000 and 2007 was more than twice that during the previous fifty years. The depletion is most severe in the southern portion of the aquifer, especially in Texas, where the water table beneath sizeable areas has dropped 100-150 feet; in smaller pockets, it has dropped more than 150 feet.
#6 According to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the U.S. interior west is now the driest that it has been in 500 years.
#7 It seems like the middle part of the United States experiences a major drought almost every single year now. Last year, "the drought of 2011" virtually brought Texas agriculture to a standstill. More than 80 percent of the state of Texas experienced "exceptional drought" conditions at some point, and it was estimated that about 30 percent of the wheat fields in Texas were lost. Agricultural losses from the drought were estimated to be $3 billion in the state of Texas alone.
#8 Wildfires have burned millions of acres of vegetation in the central part of the United States in recent years. For example, wildfires burned an astounding 3.6 million acres in the state of Texas alone during 2011. This helps set the stage for huge dust storms in the future.
#9 Texas is not the only state that has been experiencing extremely dry conditions. Oklahoma only got about 30 percent of the rainfall that it normally gets last summer.
#10 In some areas of the southwest United States we are already seeing huge dust storms come rolling through major cities.

Read more: articles.businessinsider.com...

This, in combination to lack of rain is certainly devestating.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The thing that is most surprising here is that anyone is so surprised by this.

It's quite funny here in the UK, with people pointing out the rain and seemingly puzzled as to why we have water restrictions. They're ignorant enough to think that water hits the ground and magically goes straight to their taps.

The fact is, our governments sold off the vital infrastructure we all paid for to private corporations. Where once it was a public need, and governments were responsible for getting it right, now a corporation is responsible not only for maintaining that costly infrastructure, they have to pay off their shareholders too. Which do you think is going to take priority?

The problem here is that the treatment, management and delivery of VITAL water is in the hands of soulless corporations who's primary incentive is profit. Not long-term stability of their business, but pure profit, now.

They've allowed the system to crumble while they keep their shareholders happy, and now we're seeing the results of that as or climate changes.

You can blame governments and the amount of water people use all you like, but the fact of the matter is private corporations that couldn't give a damn about you or the water you need to survive are now in control of that vital resource.

You can thank your government for selling it to their profiteering scumbag buddies, and you can thank those corporations for failing to invest in their own companies and the service they provide and instead funneling that money into their own pockets.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Two things I would note.

There were many threads recently saying where has the winter / snow / rain / low temps gone? It is mid winter and I'm walking around in my shorts! Well when it does not snow in winter then you can expect problems in summer.

No offense intended. Americans tend to use water like they use energy. ie without thought. The amount of water is generally finite and your population is increasing. At some point you were always going to have problems. That point is here.

P

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

No, and AGAIN you are trying to put words in my mouth that I did not say. I NEVER said that SC was not in a drought condition. My very first post I stated that it did not SEEM like we were in a drought condition.

You on the other hand IMMEDIATLY came at me, demanding "data" to back up what I said.

Ever heard of the word "Perception"? Apparently not.

My next post, I provided links from the USGS, that did show different drought areas of my state, where certain water levels in certain areas are low (but NOT all of them).

You persisted in trying to say that I was claiming that SC is not in a drought. Which I NEVER said.

Your behavior IS that of a troll, even if you are not understanding that. By insisting that I said something that I never said in the first place.

IF you did not understand where I was coming from, or what I meant with my first post about it not seeming like we were in a drought condition, then I apologize for accusing you of troll behavior.
However if you insist on acting like I said something that I did NOT say.......

Drought condition come at various levels. And again, the impact of such will depend on the length of time those areas remain IN a drought condition. Your picture shows as of March 2012 all the state is in some level of drought condition. However those conditions do change over time. The state has had drought conditions much more severe in the past. Even to the point where the entire state except for one county was in the red. We've also had conditions where part of the state was in "Extreme" drought conditions while other parts of the state were not in a drought condition at all.

"Long Term" - You'll need to define that. A month? 3 months? 6 months? A year? More than a year?

The animated gif below shows the changing drought conditions for the state from April 2006 to March 2012. Considering some of the conditions that we've been through and then lessened and went back to normal, I'm not really in a panic over the current drought conditions:

All images were obtained from This link here
edit on 21-4-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
ehem... I "predicted" this =]

look

well.. I've been saying the reason for all the chemtrails is to divert a major drought, because every time they fly over, it downpours within 2-3 days and lasts for 3-4days or longer..

but, I think it's a global issue, even seen them in movies/news/media flying over.. but, what do i know, I'm not a scientist, just a lonely observer..

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

Originally posted by truthinfact
ehem... I "predicted" this =]

look

well.. I've been saying the reason for all the chemtrails is to divert a major drought, because every time they fly over, it downpours within 2-3 days and lasts for 3-4days or longer..

but, I think it's a global issue, even seen them in movies/news/media flying over.. but, what do i know, I'm not a scientist, just a lonely observer..

That's why people really need to ditch the "chemtrail" term, and start using "cloud seeding"
when people google chemtrail, all they'll get is a bunch of loony things.
If they google cloud seeding, there's actually a lot of scientific documents about it.
Would do wonders for waking people up.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

PROOF?

We have been in droughts before. We will get out of this one.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
Don't worry, water rationing is a good way to end a drought. Ever since they introduced a hosepipe ban over here it hasn't stopped raining

edit on 21/4/12 by yellowbeard because: added comma

I was thinking the exact same thing!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
everything comes down to religion. constipated? jesus wants you to not poop on this sacred day. according to jubbawabba 18374:37.....

nigga pleez

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

I'm saying your over blowing it, fear mongering it, and trying to make something out of nothing.

Live in the region first. Experience what is going on, instead of doing it from your arm chair.

A drought can be lower than average amount of water through surface or underground supplies. Severity of the drought is dependent upon many things, including the length of time. Impacts are also dependent upon the length of time.

Impact in my area has not affect anyone to start panicking, plants are not dying (I'd trust Cold Creek about as much as a drooling idiot, considering they hire drunks to work for them, I know people from there) or having stunted growth (I just harvested a HUGE crop of strawberries today). No water restrictions.
We normally get headline news when county officials start getting really worried about water.

Now stop trolling. I said that I did not know we were in a drought condition. Quit trying to start something that is not there please.

So, uhhh, how's that 'not a drought' thing going on now?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Last week in the mail we received a lester from our lOcal water commissioner advising us rural people to build reservoirs o or troughs to catch rainwater, im thinking san antonio gets to buy water from the 90 east farmers and ranchers. I honestly believe where I live has community in best interest not gov or agenda 21.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join