It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"ONE THIRD of USA is in Drought" - Meteorologist Says Severe DROUGHT - Water Rationing by Summer!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'd fight that well ban 100% and with everything folks up there have though. Once that passes and is enforced, it's the city water or literally..nothing whatsoever. I sure wouldn't want to be in that position.

While I sympathize, consider this. The water you draw from a well depletes an aquifer that has existed for a very, very long time. The time it will take for that water to replenished in a time of drought exacerbates the problems even further.

The long-term effects can certainly make the approach seem like a necessary, even if unpopular one.
edit on 21-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
probably because some 85-90% of Americans believe in Jesus Christ?

Off topic, but no. That's wildly inaccurate..

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
Don't worry, water rationing is a good way to end a drought. Ever since they introduced a hosepipe ban over here it hasn't stopped raining

edit on 21/4/12 by yellowbeard because: added comma

So you think using up the existing reservoirs and aquifers to water your lawn is a good way to 'end a drought'?

the purpose of rationing is, quite obviously, not to cause and END to a drought. It's to ensure e lack of water doesnt get worse.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

Originally posted by yellowbeard
Don't worry, water rationing is a good way to end a drought. Ever since they introduced a hosepipe ban over here it hasn't stopped raining

edit on 21/4/12 by yellowbeard because: added comma

a hosepipe ban? I reckon i havent heard that term around these parts... must be a british term? makes more bloody sense. here they would say summer watering restrictions which is dumb cuz last yr my neighbor got a watering during restriction fine - for 'watering' (washing) his car.

Perhaps i miss your point.

The only 'dumb' thin i see in that scenario is your neighbor using drinking water during a drought to WASH HIS CAR.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Please, we in the east of the UK have had rain now for three weeks and we still have a drought warning. This is about using water as a weapon. This is why they privatised our water companies. They sold our water supploes from under us and then gave the money to the banks.

Since you live in east UK, you DO know that you are experiencing one of the worst droughts in 100 years and a few weeks of rainfall absolutely wont reverse that, right? Especially as you are beginning to enter a very dry season?

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
This gives credence to the guy who said a few years back that oil spills and nuclear contamination would happen on purpose... I bet you'd think twice about just getting your own water and going the the process of extracting sodium if there was oil, oil dispersant, and the entire country of Japan among other things in your water...

Kinda forces you to participate in the rationing when water, which is the most abundant thing on the planet, ain't so abundant no more.
edit on 21-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

Most of the earths water is seawater, which is not potable unless it goes through a rather cumbersome desalivation process.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
They've been pumping up one thing after another in an attempt to get people to allow a group of 2 year olds in diapers (anyone who can harm/control/enslave others is wearing a very smelly diaper), to own the water over their heads.

Stand up now and tell the two year olds they need huge time outs and potty training but that we're not standing under them.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Very interesting. According to that map, the area I live in is in a D4 condition.......yet there is nothing on the news about it, and the amount of rain that we have been getting since last summer is right on normal for us. The plants are doing well. My veggie garden is doing well.

Just like the year before, and the year before, etc, etc, etc........

Lake and pond levels are not being reported as low.....

No water bans. No talk of water bans. And yes, we are on well water too. So many of us live so far from the city that there is NO WAY the city could pipe their water all the way to us and others that live out here in the middle of no where. Heh.

I guess I need to do some research on this and see why the NOAA considers our area in a drought, when no one here seems to know about it.....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
They've been pumping up one thing after another in an attempt to get people to allow a group of 2 year olds in diapers (anyone who can harm/control/enslave others is wearing a very smelly diaper), to own the water over their heads.

Stand up now and tell the two year olds they need huge time outs and potty training but that we're not standing under them.

So your argument is there isnt actually a drought?

Can you support that with some data of some sort?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

What area are you referring to?

It would certainly help for fact-checking your claims.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is one time where I'm glad I live in Western New York. We're normal for this part of the season. Sure, our economy sucks, but at least I have my 100 foot well to keep my plants watered and car clean. /sarcasm

It seems more and more that I live in a very suitable area of the country....I'm in a nice little bubble so to speak. Sure, we get feet upon feet of snow every winter, but that's about it.

For those of you in these high drought areas, I would recommend stocking up on bottled water and canned goods now. As much as I hate big box stores, Sam's Club, the warehouse store of Wal-Mart, had racks of 30 bottled waters for like 6 bucks plus deposit...at least in my city. Might be worth stocking up on that just in case.

My thoughts are going out to all of you in these areas. If I had more room in my house I'd take a few of you soon-to-be drought victims in. Stay safe.

-TS

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

South Carolina.

You guys need to take a look at their perdition models, and make sure you READ what they say about certain areas. For example, their confidence in their prediction models is moderate, meaning they are pretty sure, but not entirely. Their confidence in their prediction models for the NE is low, meaning they are not really sure if the predicted model is what will happen or not:

Along the eastern tier of states, the forecast is based primarily on initial conditions and climatology. In the first few days of the period, there is the potential for a strong storm system to develop and spread heavy precipitation across most of the areas currently affected by drought. A large part of this area could receive a few inches of rain; however, there is an unusually large degree of uncertainty regarding the evolution of this system, and less-widespread light to moderate precipitation could easily be the result. This outlook is based on a compromise solution that assumes moderate precipitation will fall on most of the region. The rest of April should be drier than normal, and the longer-range outlooks for May – July 2012 favor neither drier- nor wetter-than-normal conditions. Climatologically, rainfall increases markedly for the latter half of the period across peninsular Florida, and increases slightly along other parts of the immediate Atlantic and Gulf coastlines in the Southeast. Given all of the uncertainties, the outlook boils down to two factors: First, improvement is expected in southern Florida where there is a significant climatological increase in rainfall and summer progresses; Second, all other things being equal, drought has the best chance of persisting where the intensity and duration are currently the greatest and where there is no sharp climatological increase in rainfall – along the Delmarva Peninsula, and across South Carolina, Georgia, and adjacent areas away from the immediate Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. The limited improvement expected elsewhere is a reflection of the fact that extant drought is of lesser intensity and shorter duration in these areas, and not the result of a wetter forecast. Forecast confidence for the Southeast is moderate, and for the Northeast is low.

NOAA Expert Assesment

Hydrologic Data for South Carolina

The above link is very cool, as it you use it to get information about water in your state and locally, including real time data, if you scroll down and look to the left of the page.

They do state that local conditions may not reflect overall conditions (IE one area may be getting more rain fall than others, but is not enough to offset the entire average for that area).

Looking at maps for my county (and no, don't ask. This is ATS. You don't need to know EXACTLY where I live, heh), only one area is really effected by drought conditions. Well water in that area has dropped. But further north, the level of well water has not dropped in any dramatic way (IE we're lucky).

Anyways, hope the links give you all something to look at and learn more about your local area.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

South Carolina.

Well, then you would know south carolina is indeed under a serious, long term drought.

Perhaps your misunderstanding comes from believing a few intense, heavy rainstorms helps.It doesnt. A long-term drought takes years to replenish. Not a few rainstorms.

www.dnr.sc.gov...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well, don't worry, others have the water for your future, you just need to steal it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

South Carolina.

Well, then you would know south carolina is indeed under a serious, long term drought.

Perhaps your misunderstanding comes from believing a few intense, heavy rainstorms helps.It doesnt. A long-term drought takes years to replenish. Not a few rainstorms.

www.dnr.sc.gov...

Try to be a LITTLE less assuming. I'm quite well aware that "a few rain storms" does not deter a drought.

Use the very link that you provided. Only 6 counties in the entire state are under a severe drought condition. The rest is moderate. Effects have not been felt though most of the state, especially in my county (hence not really knowing that we're in one). Crops have not been affected in large areas, nor have lake/pond levels dropped in staggering amounts.

Indeed, if you were to bother and move your cursor over the previous months and years, you can see that the conditions in my state fluctuate quite a bit, with some areas going all the way to "Extreme" only to have them return to normal.

Conditions here are never permanent, and can change drastically within a year. Drought conditions, if you HAD bothered to look, have swung from "Normal" to Severe in many counties throughout the state and back again in just a few years.

So much for your "Long Term" drought. Try looking at the data fully next time.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have a hard time believing the South East of the U.S. has serious long term drought problems, but the South West is screwed, and it is only going to get worse.

Anyone paying attention is probably aware of how much the weather has changed over the last couple of decades, and the rate of change is accelerating.

In other words, recent crazy weather events are only going to get worse.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Use the very link that you provided. Only 6 counties in the entire state are under a severe drought condition. The rest is moderate. .

So your argument is that it's not a drought if it's 'moderate'? Moderate is two steps above 'normal'.

Not a single county is SC is below 'moderate' And yet you pretend there is no drought. LOL

Yes, the region is in a drought.

www.dnr.sc.gov...

www.dnr.sc.gov...

Your entire argument i based on yor own opinion, and you reject all the actual data. LOL

Look at historical rainfall accumulation.

more evidence for you to dismiss and ignore or further misunderstand

“Nothing really grows, and water I know Aiken has a water mine that’s underneath the ground and it may run dry at some point,” Gisela Sirrenberg said. While there are no water restrictions right now in the city of Aiken, state climatologists says it’s been a winter of very little rain fall, and things could get worse if its dry again this summer. Plant experts at Cold Creek Nursery say last summer was brutal for plants.

www2.wjbf.com...

“I think there’s probably a pretty good chance that some of the counties will need to be updated to severe (drought status),” said Rentiers. Six Upstate counties in South Carolina are suffering severe drought, while the rest of the state is in moderate drought. The “severe” counties include: Oconee, Pickens, Anderson, Abbeville, McCormick and Edgefield

chronicle.augusta.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have a map where my Klingons are going to land so I guess It's official now that you all have heard of it,I can assure you life will improve under the Empire,don't struggle now.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Wouldn't other countries willingly help out USA if theres a rationing of water this summer. Plenty of fresh water here in Scotland and i'm sure we wouldn't want our main source of good tv and movies going dry

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I live on Amistad resevour/lake del Rio tx, it is about 20 or more feet low, what is alarming with it is, first Acuna Mexico relys on this water, but USA does have a limit how low it goes before the flow is stopped, were close, second, san Antonio is so dry they tried to tap into our water but lost in court because of the water treaty we have with Mexico so san Antonio went up the 90 east which is farmland and page hunting ranches, they started paying these ranchers to put pumps in and take the water, val Verde county found out when suddenly our water and rivers are disappearing so val Verde county went to court and got slne kinda legal injunction to put a halt on them stealing the water. Go to amistadresivour webcams in TX you will see how low it is and it isn't because of drought, we actually have had over 6 months of normal rains. Over population = resources recede quickly.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I'm saying your over blowing it, fear mongering it, and trying to make something out of nothing.

Live in the region first. Experience what is going on, instead of doing it from your arm chair.

A drought can be lower than average amount of water through surface or underground supplies. Severity of the drought is dependent upon many things, including the length of time. Impacts are also dependent upon the length of time.

Impact in my area has not affect anyone to start panicking, plants are not dying (I'd trust Cold Creek about as much as a drooling idiot, considering they hire drunks to work for them, I know people from there) or having stunted growth (I just harvested a HUGE crop of strawberries today). No water restrictions.
We normally get headline news when county officials start getting really worried about water.

Now stop trolling. I said that I did not know we were in a drought condition. Quit trying to start something that is not there please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join