It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to end global warming.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
How to reduce our carbon footprint by a massive 75% and do away with the carbon tax.

I'd like to hear from the believers of global warming why they are not protesting for the following to be implemented.

All white goods (fridges freezers cookers washing machines etc) must be designed to last for twenty years, if they fail during this time the customer gets a free repair or their money back.

Vehicles.
In the uk the average life of a car before serious problems start occuring is about 10 years. Just like white goods they should last twenty years minimum. Tell manufacturers - Twenty years or its repaired for free.

Clothes.
Shouldn't we be making clothes that will last years rather than weeks? I remember when a new pair of levi's felt like cardboard because they were made from such heavy denim, but now, not only are they lightweight, they are also partly worn out..I mean stonewashed.
Tell manufacturers - Make clothes that last five years minimum or we get our money back.

Food.
The amount of packaging used for food products is just rediculous. Look on the shelves in the stores and what do you see? mountains of packaging!
Where are the global warming police? surely they should be arresting these wasters of OUR resources? I'm serious!!

I could go on..

So what are you global warming believers doing about the above?
If the world realy is in serious trouble then I'm sure we'd all agree that a 75% reduction in resources and power is far more important than carbon taxes.
Manufacturing ALL the above to last 20 years (5 years clothing) is EASILY done.

It was a chat with a couple of appliance engineers that got me thinking about all this because both told me the same thing "Appliances are designed to have a trouble free life of just five years". I've also worked in the motor trade and I know how easy it is to make vehicles that are more reliable and longer lasting.

The Pro's
By making products that last 20 years instead of five, we reduce energy and resource consumption by 75%. That should also reduce the carbon footprint by 75%

We the consumer spend less and enjoy trouble free usage of the appliances we buy.

The Cons
Some very large and wealthy corporations would have reduced profits.
Oh dear!

Is this not the miraculous answer you've all been waiting for?
It realy is EASILY possible.

All that has to be done is for our governments to tell manufacturers -

MAKE IT LAST TWENTY YEARS OR THE CUSOMER GETS THEIR MONEY BACK.

Result = 75% reduction of resources and energy used. 75% smaller carbon foot print

Going by some replies I should make it clear I do NOT believe in man made global warming.
edit on 20-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
We could always just stop pretending global warming is man made

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Wow really? Man-made global warming.

www.wnd.com...

Don't believe everything you read.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

First, your thread should be titled "How to end MAN MADE global warming", because there is an important distinction between global warming and man made global warming. To end global warming you would need to destroy the sun. There are many theories out there on how to end man made global warming, but as far as I'm concerned they are about a scientific as the theories on how to kill Santa Clause, because like Santa, man made global warming is fictional, but go ahead and advocate for appliances that last 20 years, because I'm sure they are right around the corner, once all of the politicians and Al Gore get their money invested in the newest "green" appliance company and then pass legislation that forces you and I to buy said appliances and make them even richer.
edit on 20-4-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod

Wow really? Man-made global warming.

www.wnd.com...

Don't believe everything you read.

I dont believe it, I just wanted to know what those who DO believe would make of such an idea.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

An idea that would destroy a crap load of businesses and punch a fragile old economy in the nads?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My 5 year old (JK) came home this week to tell me about the importance of protecting the planet, gave me many reasons why, which is great and I'm glad she starting to getting the message, but with this doubling effect with human populations growth, where can it stop without big business seeing the problem and slowing down the industry with change and profit.

Hey look the new ipad, new 20 blade razor, new sandwich, consume consume consume. Not fix fix fix, we have lost are way.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

An idea that would destroy a crap load of businesses and punch a fragile old economy in the nads?

I dont believe we are the cause but the vast majority do so temporarily going along with them whats more important, the planet or a shagged economy?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Great thread! I've done my own repairs now on my Washer, Dryer and Dishwasher. All three experiences gave me a good look inside and the realization that the parts I had to replace were dirt cheap from the local warehouse that stocks them for repair guys...and could EASILY have been designed to last virtually forever. They aren't though, just like you say..and the last repair (Motor coupling in the clothes washer) was something I was quote $60 just to come out and look at and estimates of $100-$200 for labor and parts to fix. Those were estimates I got when descriving in detail what the problem was.

Final cost to fix myself? $25+ tax and 45 minutes. Oh..and about a nickle for the paper I printed Net based illustrations and directions on. The repair cost had me pretty much accepting I had to buy a new one before I took a chance and just tried fixing it.

I agree with every point you make in the OP. Solutions aren't hard..they just aren't popular to an extreme.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Yeah but if the economy goes global stability goes and war kicks up for global dominance then nukes get fired and we are in an even worst situation. I agree the scams and anti do-it-yourself engineering need to go and companies need to stop sucking us dry but its pretty cheap to fix most things especially since the internet can explain it all in detail and sometimes you can find videos on youtube to help. I have jeans I still wear from 5 years ago the trick is to buy quality and wash them right. Garbage from packaging is being worked on. I guess they are taking an interest in fungi in those regards. We need to be humbled by our advancements before we can be responsible enough for new ones imo. Lets figure out how to deal with our current problems before we create anymore needless toys.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Create a Dyson Sphere, encase the sun and use it for a power source.Other than that you can't do squat to control nature.

new topics

top topics

join