It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever experienced complete and total confusion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I came to ATS about 4 years ago, looking for someone, anyone who had shared a similar experience as the one I am about to share with you. The funny thing is, I only lurked. I lurked for years and never read a similar story. But there are enough bizarre stories here to keep a person preoccupied for an extremely long time, and so I only registered about a year ago. Life was so hectic by the time I registered, that I didn't even think about that strange event anymore. That is, until tonight.

So here it is. The most surreal experience I have ever had.

It was, like I said, about 4 years ago. I was sleeping soundly in my bed and was awoken by the most horrible shrieking sound I have ever heard. I bolted out of my bed and was completely confused by my surroundings. Nothing, I mean nothing, looked familiar. So I stumble out of a room that, as far as I'm concerned, I have never seen in my life, and I am running toward this sound that I can only describe as a banshee. And then it hits me, the sound is a baby. A baby is crying in another room, somewhere in this house. Who's house am I in?? Ok, so I'm on my way to this babies room and I'm thinking "Where is this babies mother? Why isn't she helping this baby? Where is MY mother? MY mother should stop this baby from crying in the middle of the night." All of these thoughts are tumbling around in my mind and I can't figure out where my mother is.

Then I wonder where John is. Immediately I think "who the hell is John?" But I am convinced that if John were here, he would know what to do about this crying baby.

And then it happened, as if a veil had been lifted from my mind. The baby is my baby. John is her father, he works nights and we have been married for 13 years. My mother has passed. I am in my home, that we have lived in for 5 years. We have 2 other children, boys, and they are older. I frantically grasp on to reality and run to comfort my crying baby. I quiet her and go back to my room, completely terrified about what just happened to me.

The next morning I phoned my sister and told her what had happened. She said it must have been exhaustion. I am not convinced. I have often wondered since then, if that is what a patient with alzheimer's feels like. Just complete and utter confusion.

It has been 4 years and I have not experienced anything else like that. Do you think it was sleep induced? Or like my sister said, exhaustion? Do any of you here on ATS have any similar stories or events that have happened to you??

edit on 20-4-2012 by newsoul because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sounds like a short term amnesia upon waking up.

I have a "similar" feeling after I smoke a certian kind of legal drug. So I'm guessing it has to do with your sleeping patterns maybe? Ever talked to a Doctor about this?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

The worst confusion I've ever had was referred to as "shell shock."

en.wikipedia.org...

Lasted for a bit and was brought on by a couple different factors.

Something like this what you experienced (Minus the war part of course)?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

I haven't spoke to a doctor about it. Maybe out of fear, maybe because it only happened that one time. Maybe I am just a stubborn mule
My sleep pattern was a little off, due to having a baby a couple of months prior, but I felt rested.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

I would imagine that would be quite a bit more intense. It sounds horrific. I hope everything is ok with you now. I had lost my mother shortly before this happened, maybe 2-3 months before, maybe that is why she played so heavily into it. Maybe that was my trauma??

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
WOW! I've had similar experiences, but it's been a long time since. The few times that this happened, came after being woken abruptly.

I'm sure its origins are deeply rooted in the active regions of the brain while sleeping, and the speed in reactivating of particular regions that directly correlate with the frontal lobe. I've always wondered if it has to do with either what the dream entails, or if there is a means of blood flow responsible for this seeming lack of function. I'm leading towards the idea of what type or depth of sleep you are in, combined with what the dream entails...

I'm no expert(lol- OBVIOUSLY!), but it would seem to me, that research in the previously mentioned field should bring about revelations as to how and why.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul

I haven't spoke to a doctor about it. Maybe out of fear, maybe because it only happened that one time. Maybe I am just a stubborn mule
My sleep pattern was a little off, due to having a baby a couple of months prior, but I felt rested.

Well you mentioned you came to ATS 4 years ago looking for people who experianced similar experiance that you shared with us just now. I assumed this had happened to you before. Then again, I'm losing my mind because I'm actually pretty tired

You don't have anything to fear, really. No matter what happens in your life, even if you don't even understand what's going on with you; you should ALWAYS talk to your Doctor. Ever seen that show called; "The Monsters Inside of me"? Well, these people will notice certian things, such as a rash, dizzyness and so on and forth but yet don't think much of it. It actually gets WORSE before they ever decide to talk to a Doctor, and in most cases it didn't end well for many and they all wish they actually went to their Doctor in the first place. So, I just wanted to give you a little heads up.

You should also check with your parents and ask if there has ever been a history of alzheimer's in the family. You never know, and it's best to cover all the bases and eliminate all possibilities.

You have a baby that needs her mother to be in perfect health. If you don't do it for yourself, please do it for your baby and your other children as well as your husband.

I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Lack of function, that sounds about right!! lol

It was so peculiar, it was like my entire life with my husband and children hadn't existed. The confusion was complete. I like your theories, maybe it was a combination of factors that lead to the experience and that combination hasn't been repeated since then.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
His theory could be correct. As I stated, that's what happened to me while I did the legal drug. Bascially, when you are asleep you are not aware of the real you. Maybe you just woke up quickly, hense why it took some time for your to become aware of who you really are.
edit on 20-4-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Heck yes, everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

As far as I know, no one in my family has suffered from alzheimer's. My grandmother, who is older than dirt, has a bit of short term memory loss (God bless her), she can remember everything up to about 15 years ago and then she just looks at you like you have 3 heads. Maybe I should make that doctors appointment on Monday

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Maybe you should come with me to the doctor Monday

If I could give you 50 stars I would. I love it when posts make me laugh!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want you regretting not making that Doctors appointment for when the time comes, wishing you had because by then it'll already be too late to do whatever it is was needed to be done. I'm glad to see you playing in on the safe side though, but trust me; you will be just fine when you visit your Doctor.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Your brain and memories are what makes up you life. When you sleep, your not always in total control with what happens with your dreams. Sometimes the cross over from dreams and reality is scary.

In the real world this is what is really on your mind and flows over to your dreams - unfinished business, or your perception of people. In the here and now try and put it in perspective and grow from the situation. Confront your inner thoughts when your total awake with the ones you love. The answers will come to you. This is your life quest, if you search, it will all work out for you in end for you.

From what I have read I believe in you, but I could never give you an answer to your questions, because I never lived you life.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I've had similar experiences myself and I've always thought it was just exhaustion. I've woke up countless times thinking I was in my childhood bedroom. I also have had times where I've been driving and all of a sudden look around and not recognize where I am or don't remember the drive there. Again I feel like it's just exhaustion and also my mind racing through all the things I have going on. Especially with the driving it's like my mind is on autopilot and somehow is perfectly capable of getting me where I need to go without my conscious attention.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I work in a psychiatric hospital (with dementia/alzheimers patients no less), and your sister is correct a lack of sleep can cause delirium/confusion like what you describe. Just having a child, and everything else that was going on, I would not worry about this, it's completely normal.

I have seen severe delirium from lack of sleep.

Edit: Edit to add that if this was some form of dementia you would have noticed it progressing in the past 4 years, rather than not have had any episodes. Sounds like sleep deprivation, and you have gone 4 years without an episode, it's nothing, 100% certainly nothing to go to the Dr. for, as you have no symptoms. It would be like me getting a rash that healed 4 years ago and going to a Dr. today for treatment when I have zero symptoms now.
edit on 21-4-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It sounds to me a lot like what I experienced a few months back. I lost the ability to communicate. I couldn't even put my thoughts together or anything. It was like I was trapped in my body with no way to ask for help or to even say hey something is wrong here. I tried to write out my thoughts and I basically couldn't. It was like the television and people talking to me didn't make sense. Once I stopped taking Allegra D, an allergy medicine, it stopped. One of my pharmacists had the same thing happen to him also. Just a good nights sleep and no more of that stuff and I was ok the next day. but man I was worried like I had a Transient Ischemic Attack or mini stroke. but I'm way too young for that (20's).

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverStarGazer

I have had the same thing happen while driving. I have always called it self hypnosis, I am just so concentrated on what's in my head that I pay no attention to driving. Some how I always end up safely at my destination. I have had that happen since I was a teenager. Our minds are quite incredible.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

That makes me feel soooo much better. Thank you!!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

That sounds even more scary than what I experienced. The thought of being trapped in my body, without anyway to communicate is terrifying. I think I would have had to make a visit to the ER in that case. Thank you for sharing your story and I'm glad you found the cause and stopped it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join