It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Genetic Engineers Believe In Intelligent Design (Creationism) Or Evolution Or BOTH?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Do genetic engineers believe in intelligent design or evolution

Imagine, for the sake of this topic, our civilization in say... 1000 years from now... we find ourselves in a world without war and immense technological knowledge, vast understandings of physics, biological chemistry and genetics... also TIME MODULATION (important for a specific point)

In this world... Genetic Artists can use computers to design lifeforms, modelling shape and size, from hair and feather coloration to skeletal motor function, to metabolic functionality.. and at any time, the computer uses nanobots to actually build the DNA of the creature, atom by atom, then insert the DNA into an ovum and produce a gestating zygote which can be grown ultra fast in it's early stages so during the life form's research and development phase, it can be virtually instantly, viewed and tested and displayed in it's intended ecosystem in a laboratory environment, before being introduced into the "field" or "planetary lab" where different aspects of it's coding can be tested as to how it fares in interacting with the environment and other lifeforms, including microscopic fauna.

Now say there is so much productivity in this industry, so much excitement and economic activity surrounding it, and so much intuitively designed processes, that theses genetic artists are only limited by their own imagination as to what they can create.... people ordering exotic alien custom pets, certain artists becoming famous for their stylized creations...

...That there develops a new sort of competition in this industry, a competition that naturally forms in any industry.
Rival companies vie for consumer brand loyalty because of product QUALITY and PERFORMANCE.

Now, if you create a product that breaks, and your competitor creates one that lasts, then you will have customers writing reviews and informing one another as to which is the best deal, and eventually your customers will jump ship.

Say for instance there is a condensed version of this competition in an actual reality TV contest, for all to see...

Company "A" and Company "B" put forth their best Genetic Artists on task to create a specific life form that lives in a certain environment, a "planetary laboratory". The contest includes challenges such as unexpected environmental changes, introduced predators, diseases, etc that will test the life form's resilience.

For the sake of the concept I'm expressing here... The technology involved to modulate time, fast forward and rewind time in a specific sector of space relative to the rest of space is used in order for the humans to leave the planet, then send the lab planet millions of years into the future while the organisms 'do their thing' and can be viewed at a distant date to see what has transpired after all that time.

the end result is that Company "B" WINS...

why?.. Because they had introduced a specific area of DNA code that ascribed for a type of "Dynamic Adaptation" where the genetic coding of the organism would be able to actually incite it's own mutation in order to change and adapt to any environmental change that presented itself.
Company "A" had no such code, so the first threat to the life form wiped it's species out.
Company "A" was sure to learn from Company "B" and apply Dynamic Adaptation code into all new Genetic Projects.

Another side note about the lab planet a million years in the future is that humans popped up and saw this Dynamic Adaptation in action and called it "evolution".

moral of the story... your "CREATION" is going to cease existing if you do not implement a method of "EVOLUTION" into the cards.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You should write a book. Very entertaining read.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I would say any established scientist who believe in Creator YHVH would believe in both.

He would believe in the age of the earth and darwinian evolution, and also believe it was all intelligently designed and guided by His divine will, and he'd believe in the Bible and YHVH Christ.....

Just IMO

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I suppose, I'm quite close to being a genetic engineer (although it's not exactly what I do). Anyway, to answer the question, I don't believe in neither, ID or evolution. However, I acknowledge that evolution is a natural phenomenon, and I believe, that that modern synthesis explains it extraordinarily well (I can't think of another theory that is backed up by such level of experimental evidence, i.e. we understand evolution better than we understand e.g. gravity or aging).

Because they had introduced a specific area of DNA code that ascribed for a type of "Dynamic Adaptation" where the genetic coding of the organism would be able to actually incite it's own mutation in order to change and adapt to any environmental change that presented itself.

In this story, how exactly did company A manage to counter naturally occurring mutations and natural selection or "dynamic adaptation"?
edit on 23-4-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The team who mapped the human genome was largely atheist...but I'm unsure what their personal beliefs have to do with science? Their findings and theories are based on OBJECTIVE evidence...their SUBJECTIVE beliefs aren't.

If one of the guys who mapped the human genome believes in purple unicorns, that wouldn't invalidate their work...and neither does it prove unicorns exist

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

The team who mapped the human genome was largely atheist...but I'm unsure what their personal beliefs have to do with science? Their findings and theories are based on OBJECTIVE evidence...their SUBJECTIVE beliefs aren't.

If one of the guys who mapped the human genome believes in purple unicorns, that wouldn't invalidate their work...and neither does it prove unicorns exist

Originally posted by Iason321

I would say any established scientist who believe in Creator YHVH would believe in both.

He would believe in the age of the earth and darwinian evolution, and also believe it was all intelligently designed and guided by His divine will, and he'd believe in the Bible and YHVH Christ.....

Just IMO

just a hunch.. but i get the feeling that neither of you red my post.. but actually just answered your opinion to the answer of the question of the title of the thread... am i right.. i'm right aren't i...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I see no point or real questions posed in your OP,

sounds like a science fiction rant, not sure what you're trying to get at.....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

gunfunnit! Stop giving away the business model!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I easily believe both when put into this context.

I eagerly studied the biological sciences, at the undergrad level, and eventually graduated a wildlife biology major. I had a strong interest in organic chemistry. The closest I've come to actually being a biologist, after finishing school, is when I was raising frogs to sell.

While a student, I put a little thought into how likely a complex biological life form could be created by us, and concluded we were on the track to do it. I graduated more than 2 decades ago, and so many journals and articles have since been published, which leave me without any doubt that we can create life. Eventually, if not already.

If we can create life, then it's arrogant to assume we are the first or last civilization in the universe to reach this level of science. Therefore, I am forced to believe creationism . is at least a possible history for us, by default.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

So all you need to believe is a "possibility"?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I believe anything is possible until all the facts are in to prove it's not. I will entertain the idea that an entity, or more like a group of entities, had possibly played a role in our creation. Even more plausible to me is that evolution occurred naturally, with a concurrent tweaking of our genome by an older civilization. Where did they they come from? I don't know. From a far away planet or from underneath the mountain are among the unlimited possibilities. It could even be as simple as the hypothetical creators had traveled from only a few miles northeast from the lab rats.

None of this changes my spiritual view or overall disbelief in any popular mega religion. I do have a philosophy that I follow. A core belief from it is that all of existence is Dainichi Nyorai and everything in existence is interconnected. This coincides with my beliefs formed while daydreaming through many science lectures. Especially, the way I believe that everything in existence is connected on a quantum level.

I hope you understand the difference between believing something is possible, and knowing it can happened or has happened.

Honestly, I could care less about the past. I live for today, and I plan for tomorrow. I strongly believe that our own ability to create life is present now and will become greater over time.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

So you believe in unicorns and elves?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I don't know. It's waste of my time to think about unicorns and elves. However, I firmly believe in the forced sterilization of moronic people to genetically engineer better people, for a better tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I see you are trying to stay that, we were created by a higher being... but then you get the question, who created the creator... this is where intelligent design as well as creationism fails because they say, the "creator" was always there, its a cop-out.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
reply to post by MrXYZ

I don't know. It's waste of my time to think about unicorns and elves. However, I firmly believe in the forced sterilization of moronic people to genetically engineer better people, for a better tomorrow.

It's a waste of time to believe in a creator too then because both lack evidence.

No clue why you bring up sterilization...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I am a 'genetic engineer', or molecular biologist as we call ourselves, and I believe in Evolution and not intelligent design. I've seen no proof for the latter, while evolution is well established fact based on mountains of evidence.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

I see you are trying to stay that, we were created by a higher being... but then you get the question, who created the creator... this is where intelligent design as well as creationism fails because they say, the "creator" was always there, its a cop-out.

not that simple.

actually Gnosticism teaches that there is a "True God" that created the false god (biblical god).. as a manager for his creation. The false god gets a big ego and abuses his power. The mystery of mankind is to realize this.

The True god both always exists.. as there is no real "time" .. and exists in cycles.. as disperse matter .. congealing into himself through intelligently ordered bodies..

what you've concluded is not the end all.. we're in an infinite universe.
i'm saying anyone like us who had the proper scientific knowledge.. would apply evolutionary processes within the lifeforms they created in order to ensure that the lifeforms survived in changing environments.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I see evidence that we can now create life. Based on that, I find it plausible to contemplate and discuss the topic of the OP. I'm here because I have some time to waste, but I don't really care about unicorns and elves. If I was to find an article about a discovery which proves unicorns are based on real fact, I'm sure I wouldn't spend much time dwelling on it then either. The same goes for elves. Everyday, they are digging a new ancestor of ours up. Maybe one of them was an elf.

Sterilization. It just occurred to me that we have allowed the morons to infest the gene pool. It was more on topic than unicorns and elves.
edit on 31-8-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Again, neither a creator nor elves have any evidence behind them...so it's silly to claim one is more likely than the other.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I guess you misunderstand me. While unicorns and elves are a nifty novelty, their existence is not important to me. I never said I believe or disbelieve in them. I don't know, and I don't wish to take the time to think about it. If you want to talk about unicorns and elves, then create a bridge that ties them to genetic engineering, and I'll try to humor you. I commented on a thread about genetic engineering, expecting conservation and debate about genetic engineering.

I was also open to debating creationism, within the confines of genetic engineering. I don't believe creationism is a fact, but I believe it is acceptable to toss it in with all the other theories. I like to make myself think about other points of view and explore the beliefs of others. I really don't care if creationism is true or not. I will continue on my current path, unless I decide to return to poorly controlled hedonism. But now as it's approaching 1 a.m., I feel mostly inclined to sleep.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join